Bewareofdillinger

What Bit Should I Use

So I took my horse to a rodeo this weekend .

It was our first time ever running together, & going to the barrel pattern , as soon as I let him go , & run , I lost all control of him , could not turn or stop him .

His last owner ran him & placed in 2D , I was running him in a Jr. Cowhorse Bit ..... Smh . But switched to a combination & tie down for our pole run , our pole run I didn't let him go all out , & had a lot more control ... He normall gets 22sec , we got a 26 . But I had more control . Once again on flags though with the combination & tie down , I let him go all out & lost all control again .

His last owner ran him in a stop & turn hack , I heard that was very harsh , & didn't want to resort to that , could it be that he has gotten use to te harshness & just doesn't care about any other options I used , or is there something I can do to fix this ? Any Recommendations?

improve your seat and legs. there isn't a bit on the planet that will control a horse that won't listen to your seat, weight distribution and leg aids. good luck.

Nick's right. You might also have to try a few things to establish what works for you. Horses do get harder to get back down once they're "up" - especially the good ones.

Nick's right - a bit won't fix the problem, but lots of practice so he is listening to your seat and legs will.

Too many "trainers" focus their training on running barrels and spend very little time actually training the horse how to relax under saddle, stop, back up and turn with leg and body pressure from the rider. Their "job" is to get fast horses that can fly around a barrel. Basic knowledge is either not done or barely skimmed over while the horse is in their hands. So they use pain to force the horse to stop, turn left and right and back up.

You want a faster horse?

Teach it the basics.

Horses can't focus on two things at the same time. If it is hurting, it's mind is focused on pain.

A horse will run faster and turn tighter around a barrel, if it's mind is free of pain and focused on the rider.

Charmayne James won at the NFR....with a busted headstall that was hanging around Scamper's neck...He was trained in the basics and ran without pain to 10 NFR World Championships.