Sign in to follow this  
nick

The Pit Bull Is A Lovely Dog

then I should have entitled "some dogs are lovely if the people behind them are lovely too". my mistake--thank you for pointing it out to me.

but anybody going out looking out for a dog should research the breed (just like a horse) and understand if they're equipped to handle the challenges. but so often the PERSON doesn't and thus the dog winds up in trouble. I have a friend who has a rat terrier whom I will not sit next to because I never know when he'll bite. she feeds him from the table because she says if she doesn't he'll raise he!!. another friend with the most ill behaved handbag dog that I refuse to even meet in a public place because the dog is in her purse and whines all the time or bites. THESE tiny dogs don't come under scrutiny because they're so kyoot! and their OWNERS don't seem to have much common dog sense either. they are a public nuisance and a hazard every bit as much as the bully breeds who don't get the right leadership.

so I think we need to keep this in perspective in terms of the source of the problem. woud you agree with that?

and whoever posted that pits lock their jaws? myth, folklore, propaganda call it what you want but I call it bs. any dog locks it's jaws when it doesn't want to let go. they're not crocodiles for cripes sake.

I'm with Nick on the ownership thing. I'll go back to the supporting any entity in requiring a CGC cert (or something universally agreed upon) in order to allow a dog (ANY dog) to be there. Apartments, home lease, dining establishments... I'd much prefer that as a 'qualifier' than a breed specific list. Folks who can't be bothered to spend the time to get the cert aren't allowed to take their dogs to those places. I'd be totally down with that.

Want to have your Pit Bull at the apartment? Show certification that he can be near other dogs w/out turning nasty. That a stranger can safely give him a pat. That he obeys a few basic commands (sit, down, stay, come). Same rules apply to your Yorkie. If it can't sit calmly next to you while you have a 2 minute conversation with someone else with a dog... well, sorry, you can't have him there.

Edited by DawnC

Of course those little 'floor mop', 'toy dogs' , also known as 'purse dogs', can be annoying, can nip and I am sure not a fan of them either, but I have yet to see where a majority of serious dog atatcks, requiring extensive reconstructive surgery, or even resulting in deaths,a re attributed to these dogs!!!

Sure, there is the human element, far as ownership, but 'we' can't even seem to screen people far as responsible gun ownership, so how in heell do you suppose to screen people as to who can or cannot own pit bulls?

It is one thing to put some theory out there, and quite another to implicate working practice, that is actually effective, beyond creating more bureaucratic jobs. The gun registry in Canada, sure proved

that point!

Far as the jaws of pit Bulls, do you ever actually read any data?

pit bull locking jaw” controversy that advocates frequently refute. Due to artificial selection for the purposes of dogfighting, pit bulls developed a killer bite. Unlike other dog breeds, pit bulls “hold and shake” their victims. Unless a crow bar or break stick is used to pry open a pit bull’s jaws, shooting the dog may be the only way to get the animal to release. Though the pit bull’s jaws may not “structurally” lock, they do not release naturally either.

Pro-pit bull groups continuously attempt to debunk the pit bull “locking jaw” expression that is often used by the media and the public. A pit bull’s jaw may not physically lock, but due to selective breeding for a specific bite style — to hold on and to shake indefinitely — we consistently hear in news reports that the dog “would not let go.” DogsBite.org has recorded numerous tools used to try to get a pit bull to release its grip including: shotguns, hammers, baseball bats and pipes.

Through selective breeding, pit bulls have developed enormous jaw strength, as well as a ruinous “hold and shake” bite style, designed to inflict the maximum damage possible on their victims. This bite trait delivered winning results in the fighting pit. When the Colorado Supreme Court upheld the Denver pit bull ban in 2005, the high court set aside characteristics that pit bulls displayed when they attack that differ from all other dog breeds. One of these characteristics was their lethal bite:

“[pit bulls] inflict more serious wounds than other breeds. They tend to attack the deep muscles, to hold on, to shake, and to cause ripping of tissues. Pit bull attacks were compared to shark attacks.”11

Leading pit bull education websites, such as Pit Bull Rescue Central, encourage pit bull owners to be responsible and to always carry a “break stick” — a tool used to pry open a pit bull’s jaws — in case their dog “accidentally” gets into a fight. These same websites also warn that using a break stick on any other dog breed may cause serious injury to the person.12 This is true because no other dog breed possesses the pit bull’s tenacity combined with a “hold and shake” bite style.

How about court citations claiming pitbulls have different jaws and are violent ?

Toledo v. Tellings trial

The trial court cited the substantial evidence supporting its conclusion that pit bulls, compared to other breeds, cause a disproportionate amount of danger to people. The chief dog warden of Lucas County testified that: (1) when pit bulls attack, they are more likely to inflict severe damage to their victim than other breeds of dogs; (2) pit bulls have killed more Ohioans than any other breed of dog; (3) Toledo police officers fire their weapons in the line of duty at pit bulls more often than they fire weapons at people and all other breeds of dogs combined; (4) pit bulls are frequently shot during drug raids because pit bulls are encountered more frequently in drug raids than any other dog breed. The trial court also found that pit bulls are “found largely in urban settings where there are crowded living conditions and a large number of children present,” which increases the risk of injury caused by pit bulls. The evidence presented in the trial court supports the conclusion that pit bulls pose a serious danger to the safety of citizens.

Sorry, if I come across as biased, but I see no reason citizens should be put at risk, because there are people that insist they have a right to have a dog type, with the track record that can't be denied, regardless of all the rhetorics , and that the rest of us should just 'embrace ' their choice

for all you Pit bull lovers, here is a video on how to use that break stick, and make sure you keep one handy!

Smilie, there is NO scientific proof of any sort of locking mechanism, or enzyme, or anything in a pits jaws. How is them supposedly being designed to "hold on and to shake indefinitely" any different than what a law enforcement canine is trained to do when apprehending a criminal? I respect your aversion to pitbulls, that's fine, but I will not accept a lot of your "facts". Where is your 6% statistic from? How many more dogs are unregistered and therefore not counted? Is the "6%" purebred or mixed with other breeds? We all know that many of the people that unfortunately own these dogs cannot be trusted to be law abiding citizens. No one is telling you that you have to go out and own a pit, but please, do not judge the type as a whole. To me, that's the same as saying all Muslims are terrorists, or all African Americans are gun toting drug dealers. You cannot judge an entire type (technically "pit bull" isn't a breed, it is a type. "Pit bull is the common name for a type of dog. Formal breeds often considered in North America to be of the pit bull type include the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, and Staffordshire Bull Terrier. The American Bulldog and the Bull Terrier (standard and miniature) are also sometimes included.")

I also will not keep a break stick handy..EVER. So please, don't tell me how to handle my dog.

Edited by OhSoCharismatic

Smilie, there is NO scientific proof of any sort of locking mechanism, or enzyme, or anything in a pits jaws. How is them supposedly being designed to "hold on and to shake indefinitely" any different than what a law enforcement canine is trained to do when apprehending a criminal? I respect your aversion to pitbulls, that's fine, but I will not accept a lot of your "facts". Where is your 6% statistic from? How many more dogs are unregistered and therefore not counted? Is the "6%" purebred or mixed with other breeds? We all know that many of the people that unfortunately own these dogs cannot be trusted to be law abiding citizens. No one is telling you that you have to go out and own a pit, but please, do not judge the type as a whole. To me, that's the same as saying all Muslims are terrorists, or all African Americans are gun toting drug dealers. You cannot judge an entire type (technically "pit bull" isn't a breed, it is a type. "Pit bull is the common name for a type of dog. Formal breeds often considered in North America to be of the pit bull type include the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, and Staffordshire Bull Terrier. The American Bulldog and the Bull Terrier (standard and miniature) are also sometimes included.")

I also will not keep a break stick handy..EVER. So please, don't tell me how to handle my dog.

Well, I tried to find some reliable statistics for you, so have fun tearing them apart! I realize Pit Bull is a type, not a breed. I do read!

Certainly not all muslims are terrorists, after all my daughter in law is one, and my grandchildren are half HOwever, she is foremost a Canadian, dresses like one, acts like one , and is a secular muslim, NOT an a religious extremist.

​My husband is a gun collector, still< i do not believe that should include assault weapons. If that makes me a bigot, so be it! Very easy for these guns to get in the wrong hands, and ditto for pit Bulls

So please, as you get your hackles up, concerning the pit Bull ;type', your rights, don't consider me to be someone that develops a bias by being un thinking, oblivious to facts, or being brain washed, like a racist!

There is a reason various districts, states, provinces have put a ban on Pit Bulls. Where there is smoke, there is fire

Statistics are there, to assess, and then use to formulate laws that minimize risk, or why bother even using them.

My step dad was a tobacco farmer, and when the health minister of Ontario, at that time, first put a reluation in to try and limit the use of tobacco, using the facts that were linking smoking to lung cancer, he cried, 'propaganda, and an attempt to ruin tobacco farmers!

Sometimes we don't like what stastistics tell us, but that does not make them un true. What is the big romance in owning these dogs anyways? Because there is controversy, makes a person feel macho ????

http://www.dog-bite-law-center.com/pgs/stats.html

from that link:

This breed is variously cited as being responsible for nearly a third of all fatal dog attacks in the United States, in part due to its tenacity in a fight. Pit bulls cause one-third of dog-bite related fatalities while only make up less than 2% of the dog population. Because of the deaths, maulings and serious injuries inflicted by Pit Bulls, many countries worldwide ban these dogs altogether or require licenses for ownership of them. In response to many high profile maulings and fatal attacks by Pit Bulls, many US cities and towns have specifically targeted the breed with legislation restricting ownership and increasing penalties on owners for attacks made by their Pit Bulls. Pit Bulls are often responsible for attacking and killing other dog breeds as well as cats and small pets. Police officers often need to shoot and kill this breed in order to subdue it after attacks on humans or other animals in US cities. In recent years several owners of these dogs in the United States have been criminally prosecuted in homicide cases. Sadly, many of the owners of these deadly dogs do not possess insurance and the maimed victims go uncompensated. Apologists for these vicious dogs abound online, but facts are facts. These dogs have little or no business being pets in anyone's household they are simply too aggressive and dangerous.

From actual reseach done, data from hospital trauma centers

The deadliest dogs

A review of 82 dog bite cases at a level 1 trauma center where the breed of dog was identified concludes that attacks by pit bulls are associated with higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges, and a higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs. Bini, John K. MD; Cohn, Stephen M. MD; Acosta, Shirley M. RN, BSN; McFarland, Marilyn J. RN, MS; Muir, Mark T. MD; Michalek, Joel E. PhD; for the TRISAT Clinical Trials Group, Mortality, Mauling, and Maiming by Vicious Dogs, Annals of Surgery (April 2011, Vol. 253, Issue 4, pp. 791–797).

Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, has conducted an unusually detailed study of dog bites from 1982 to the present. (Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006; click here to read it.) The Clifton study show the number of serious canine-inflicted injuries by breed. The author's observations about the breeds and generally how to deal with the dangerous dog problem are enlightening. According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:

If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.
I guess no point in going on, as you Pit bull lovers refuse to see the big picture. 'Happy head in the sand and to your membership in the fraternity of conspiratory theories and denial organizations.
Thereare those that also believe the Holocaust never happened, and the earth is only 6,000 years old!
Edited by Smilie

Ones' personal choice if they get a pit bull. However one better check with thier town, city, county ordinances...... Many places are banning them, many places do have restrictions.. Yes here in Michigan checking on some ordinances in some cities/towns it's true many places some are banned ,yes have to abide by the restrictions. When a pit bull bites a person by accident.. the owner may have to put the dog down or get rid of it.

Reason is due mainly pit bull attacks ,injuries owner's irresponsibility. illegal dog fighting.

The dog shelters here in my area. It's really sad to see many pit bills/pit bull mixes.. many up to 100 or more... due to pit bull ordinances that passed many people are unaware of, also over breeding.

I am currently reading a book by Mike Ritland "Trident K-9 Warriors" about his experiences training dogs for the military, law enforcement and personal protection.

His book made the clear statement that all dogs possess, to some degree or another, the instinctual urges to chase/hunt prey and to bite/shake to kill. Some breeds are simply better at it than others.

To wit; the small terriers and weenie dogs excel at hunting and killing small prey while the sight hounds excel at bringing faster prey to ground. Scent hounds track and can hold animals at bay (ground or treed) while the bird dog breeds have been encouraged to have soft mouths for retrieval. The shepherd type dogs excel at protection work by keeping their charges gathered but their long snouts enable them to defend against predators of a similar size as them.

Even house dogs, the purse-pets and mop-dogs, are capable of killing prey and harming people. EVERY dog is *capable* of biting and killing prey and harming people. Ever observe puppies grabbing a rag in their mouths, working that bit of fabric to the back of their molars where they have the most strength and shaking it? Instinct. A *killing* instinct, to be precise, designed to break necks and inflict mortal damage upon their prey.

The pit bull terrier types discussed in this topic have a structural and muscular advantage over many other breeds because of the strength of their bite and body when they sling their bitten victim around. Their original intended purpose, holding large game, kept those traits in the forefront, in addition to persistence and determination to hang on, no matter what.

I certainly agree that people are the problem, not necessarily the dogs.

However I also must allow that even though irresponsible people have created this problem, it has still become a problem that responsible people cannot ignore.

Comments I read earlier and can't find to quote:

[paraphrased]

Guns don't shoot people, people do. & Alcohol doesn't kill people, drunk drivers do. and a related comment about these dogs and irresponsible people.

I thought I saw a corollary there .... along the lines of while it is people causing problems, we cannot ignore that guns can be lethal and must be handled with care and alcohol affects our motor skills, it follows that we should respect the amount of damage that can be inflicted by dog bites. And the pit bull types appear to have the worst bite damages inflicted of all bite statistics.

My round-about point comes to; There are gun laws. There are drinking/driving laws. I'm not surprised there are breed specific legislation laws.

I don't agree with outright banning, I believe that is discriminatory. I do like the idea of CGCs for *all* dogs, especially those in public places where certification can be checked (we have to carry Coggins for our horses when we ride in public places). I believe Chicago or Detroit has laws in effect that children (teens) must be a certain age in order to hold the leash of pit bull type dogs to ensure responsibility and ability to control.

The age old problem is: How do we hold the responsible parties accountable when it is so easy to deny ownership and so difficult to prove culpability?

We're all barking up trees, here! LOL

I think the most sensible (and effective way) to go about this is to get tougher on enforcing laws banning dog fighting. I love that as of January 1st if you're convicted of animal abuse in Tennessee your face, name, address and your crime will be plastered all over the internet for three years. second offence? another 5. that to me seems like a mighty fine deterrent. punish the offender and not the dog--kind of like your guns analogy. (which I don't necessarily agree with, guns DO kill people and very often inadvertently in the hands of a child or just by accident).

I prefer to listen to the current word on the street from the AVMA, the ABA and the current administration rather than a five year old or even longer study.

Of course any dog can bite, hunt,ect, they are predators, after all, and that fact has never been denied.

It is why my dog has very strict rules, far as any interact ion with the horses

Because of this inborn instinct, even though my old German Shepard was very, very good with the foals, once they were born and up, I always made sure that when the mares were foaling, I kept my dog in

Dogs don't get it, when the see a new born foal flopping around, and smell blood, plus the mare is often at a disadvantage, right after having given birth

EWe bred an outside mare once. The people never had a mare foal before. They checked on the mare around 5AM, and she had just given birth-foal not up yet. All seemed fine, so they went back to bed.

In the morning, they found the foal with several bite marks, ruched the foal tot eh vet, but a bite on the neck proved fatal.

My old German shepard was very protective of the foals, and I was still working at the time often, coming home, I would see her sleeping out there with those foals.

Still,, when the mares were foaling, i never forgot that she was a dog and a predator, with built in instincts along that line

Pit Bulls just have a stronger instinct than many dogs, in relationship to that attack provocation, and is also why many Pitt Bull incidents, even towards family members, after years of giving no indication of being so, and also why many attacks by them have been un provoked in any manner

It is also medically proven, that their bite is more deadly.

I also used the gun scenario,, but might as well admit that I am in favor of limiting gun ownership, esp assault type weapons. Sure, guns don't kill people. At the same time, too easy for them to get into the wrong hands, and obviously , any mental screening, far as ownership, is not effective, and is just a 'window in time'

People without any criminal connections, store guns un safely, and thus we have those cases of a young child shooting his sibling

By the way, my husband is a gun collector, but I reserve to form my own opinion

So we can go round and round , far as the dogs not being the problem, people are, BUT same number of irresponsible people, if not more, own other dog breeds, yet the Pit Bull remains the type of dog most implicated in fatal and serious dog attacks

You can't compare two variables at the same time., thus you have to take the human factor out of it, when rating the potential danger of a breed type

Bits are rated in severity, while we all know any bit can be severe, and the bit severity depends on the rider's hands and the education of that horse. Still, when grading bits, we have to grade them as if the same hands were on those reins, and that the mouth of that horse has a certain education, or there would be no way to grade bits

No different with dogs.

Everything I've read, can find, say pit bulls and pit mixes have the highest percentage of fatalities. Rottweilers come in second.

GSD's are number 1 on the infamous "bite list". They are also the number one breed in public service and the military.

were determining whether to press criminal charges.[610]

January 17 Fatalities reported in 2014[edit]

Date

Victim's name

Victim's age

Category of Dog

Circumstances

January 5 Houston, Texas Christine Bell 43 years Pit bull Mixes[609] Killed by a pack of dogs in an attack in which 2 other people were also injured. The owners of the dogs had previously received multiple citations for keeping the animals in deplorable conditions, not licensing or vaccinating them, and allowing them to run at large. Homicide detectives Bloomington, IL Kara Hartrich 4 years Pit bull (2 males, 1 female) Died from blood loss following injuries sustained to head and neck after being attacked by the dogs while her grandmother was babysitting Kara and her 2-year-old sister. When the grandmother attempted to intervene, dogs turned on her and she then focused on protecting 2 year old child and was unable to stop the attack on Kara. Emergency personnel were called and Kara was taken to hospital but died from her injuries. The dogs were surrendered to McLean County Animal Control where they were euthanized after a 10 day observation period. No charges were filed against the owners. [611] [612]

January 26 Corona, CA Annabell Martin 89 years Rottweilers (3) The dogs belonged to the woman's grandson. He told police they had no history of aggressive behavior.[613] No other details are known as there is little media coverage available from the incident.
February 7 Dayton, OH Klonda S. Richey 57 years 2 mixed breed dogs or "mixed-mastiff breeds" or "part Cane Corso"[614] or Pit Bulls[615] Two male dogs were involved. Complaints had been made before to animal control about the dogs being at large. The victim had made 6 prior calls to animal control about the dogs, concerning their barking and the conditions they were kept in with inadequate food and water.[616] There is discrepancy in the media about the breed of the dogs. Dayton Police said the dogs looked like pit bulls; however, the Montgomery County Animal Rescue Center said the dogs were licensed and listed as mastiffs.
February 17 Temple, TX Je'vaeh Mayes 2 years Pit Bull mix The girl's family was watching a friend's female dog and its two puppies. They were being kept in the back yard. The 2-year-old girl went out into the yard alone without her parents' knowledge and was attacked by the mother of the two puppies.[617]

February 24 High Point, NC Braelynn Rayne Coulter 3 years Pit Bull Was playing in her yard when her family's dog suddenly attacked. Her mother tried to stop it, but the dog attacked her as well. The family said the dog had never been aggressive, but neighbors said it had escaped and attacked a dog. Both mother and daughter were taken to the hospital, where Braelynn died. The dog was taken by authorities and scheduled to be euthanized after police finished their investigation.[618][619]
February 26 Tallassee, AL Summer Sears 4 years White shepherd-mix, with possible involvement of a black retriever-mix Killed while playing behind the trailer her grandfather rented.[620]

February 28 Paterson, NJ Kenneth Santilla 13 years Bullmastiff A 115-pound bullmastiff escaped a back-yard fence and mauled two 13-year-old boys, killing one and injuring the other.[621]
March 1 Killeen, TX Raymane Robinson Jr. 2 years Bullmastiff Walking home from the playground with an 8-year-old girl, when the dog accidentally escaped from his owner's garage and attacked the girl. A teenage boy saved the girl, but then the dog immediately attack Raymane and dragged him off. Someone shot at the dog, frightening it into dropping the boy and running back into the garage. Police and EMTs arrived and took them both to the hospital, where doctors saved the girl but the boy died of penetrating and blunt injuries.[622]

March 25 Houma, LA Mia DeRouen 4 years Pit bull Family's pet pit bull attacked while she was watching television with her mother. The mother, also injured, had to barricade herself and the injured child in a bedroom until police arrived. Responding officers were forced to shoot the pit bull in order to enter the apartment.[623] The dog, Niko, was of an unusually large size, weighing in at 130 lbs. The victim's family has refused cooperation with authorities into further investigation. Another dog, a 6-month old female, was removed from the scene.
March 31 Thornton, MS Christopher Malone 3 years Pit bull (2) Christopher Malone's mother found the boy's body behind the family's Holmes County home. The Holmes County Sheriff's Department said it happened around 4 p.m. No one saw the attack. Family members said they've had the dogs since they were puppies, and the dogs have been around children their entire lives.
[624]

April 1 Kaufman, TX Dorothy Hamilton 85 years Pit bull (2) A woman was found dead at her home in Kaufman on Monday afternoon, and police believe that pit bulls are responsible for the killing. It was around 4:45 p.m. when authorities were called to a residence in the 1400 block of East First North Street. When police arrived at the scene, they discovered 85-year-old Dorothy Hamilton dead in the living room of her home. Investigators also found a pair of aggressive pit bulls inside of the house. Animal control put down the two dogs that were inside the house when police found Hamilton. Authorities said that the dogs were being held in a bedroom, but it looks as though they broke down the door in order to attack the woman.
[625]

April 6 Riverside, AL John Harvard 5 years Pit bull Playing outside his home when neighbor's dog, between 80–100 lbs., attacked. His 9-year-old brother couldn't get the dog off him, so he ran in the house and got his father, who shot at the animal, which broke off the attack and fled. After the attack, a neighbor called the EMTs, and an ambulance took him to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. The dog was taken to a veterinary clinic. Before the attack, John and the dog had played together; the dog had been legally allowed free range with no previous complaints; and the town had had a nuisance law but no leash law.[626][627]
April 27 Smiths Station, AL Katie Morrison 20 years Pit bull (3) In her friend's yard playing with the dogs. When she picked something up from the ground, one of the dogs attacked, and the other two joined in. She suffered extensive bite wounds over her body and a severe head injury and died about a week later. At press time no charges had been filed and the dogs were still in mandatory ten-day quarantine.
[628]

April 28 Sebring, FL Jessica Norman 33 years Unclear (see text) The woman was found dead of a methamphetamine overdose. An autopsy found that she had bites that "appeared to come from a canine" and which "contributed to the death."[629] At the time that she died, neighbors had seen three aggressive pit bulls running loose in the neighborhood. Investigators attempted to link the dogs to the woman's death with DNA. They were able to show by DNA that hairs on her were of canine origin, but were unable to match the DNA with that of the specific dogs.

May 7 Felton, DE Kasii Haith 4 years Pit bull (3) The child had gone with his pregnant mother to visit one of the mother's friends and was playing in front of the home with the dogs, whom he had reportedly played with in the past. At some point the mother looked outside to see the three pitbulls attacking the child and rushed to help him, at which point the pitbulls attacked her. Nearby HVAC workers attempted to beat the dogs back with PVC pipes and were unsuccessful. The child was pronounced dead on scene by paramedics, the pregnant mother was taken to the hospital for treatment of injuries and monitoring of the unborn child. The dogs had not been vaccinated against rabies and were euthanised.[630]

June 9 Davisburg, MI Holden Garrison 10 weeks Catahoula Cur When the dog tried to get on the sofa where the baby was on his uncle's lap, the uncle pushed it off. The dog then attacked, biting the baby on the face and neck. Father was injured prying him out of its jaws. EMTs tried to revive the baby and airlifted him to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Prior to the attack, the dog had lived with the family for four years. It had bitten a person once, but had drawn no blood. After the attack, the dog was euthanized.[631]

June 23 Metamora Township, MI Craig Sytsma 46 years Cane Corso (2) The victim was out jogging in the evening. A neighbor who witnessed the attack successfully drove off the dogs after wounding one with a gun. According to police, dogs at the same address had attacked and bitten two other people in the previous two years who were walking or jogging in the neighborhood.[632] An unprovoked attack on a jogger by two Cane Corsos was reported in Lapeer, Michigan. The jogger died. The two owners of the dogs were charged with Second degree murder, which carries a potential sentence of Life in Prison. "The dogs involved in the attack have a history of escaping from their kennel and have bitten at least twice before."[633]

July 20 Tampa, FL Logan Shepard 4 years Pit bull (2) Mauled to death by his uncle's guard dogs after being left unsupervised while his parents left to consume cannabis.[634] The boy's grandmother said that the family knew the dogs were vicious.[635] Neighbors also said that the dogs were known to be vicious.[636] Although early speculations stated that the child may have let the dogs out of their cages to play with,[637] family members later stated that the uncle had left the dogs free to roam the yard and "to protect his property."[636]

August 4 Madison Township, Ohio Cindy Whisman 59 years Pit bull-Presa Canario mix[638] or Pit bull Was playing with her 2-year-old grandson in the yard when the dog attacked. A neighbor beat the dog off with a walking stick, but she was already dead, with multiple wounds to the head, neck, and body. The dog had not shown previous aggression; the child used to climb and put weight on the dog. After the attack, the dog was to be destroyed.[639][640]
August 7 Fanning Springs, FL Joel Chirieleison 6 years Pit bull (2) Babysitting aunt let the child and the two dogs outside her house and sat to watch TV. No one saw the attack. She looked outside and saw the body in the driveway. The authorities arrived and determined that the dogs had killed the boy. After the attack, the dogs were removed by animal control officers and scheduled to be destroyed. The aunt had been babysitting the child when his father went to work for weeks. The aunt said she had never had any problems with the dogs before the attack, and police said the boy and the dogs had been together on a regular basis.[641][642][643]

August 11 St. Charles County Deriah Solem 1 year & 10 months Pit bull-mix Grandmother, 58, had set the child down after feeding her when the 80 lb., 10-year-old dog attacked. Wounds to the head and neck were the cause of death, not those to her back and stomach. Grandmother, who lost the tips of her fingers trying to save the child, ordered her brothers, 5 and 8 years old, to run for their lives. They ran and got the next door neighbor to call for help. She used a steak knife to end the attack, but the child was pronounced dead at the hospital. Before the attack, the dog had behaved aggressively. After the attack, the dog was destroyed.[644] The dog was usually kept locked up in a back room and it is unclear how the dog got out to attack.[645]

August 13 Miami-Dade County Javon Dade Jr 4 years Labrador Retriever-Pit Bull mix[646] or pit bull mix and Pit bull In the evening, the boy was at home with his father. The father then went into a bedroom to smoke marijuana and cocaine with his girlfriend. The next morning the boy was missing. They later found him outside dead. The father and girlfriend were charged with child neglect. The father also had an extensive criminal history for dealing drugs.[647]

September 20 Benton County, Mississippi David Glass unknown Pack of Pit bull dogs Attacked by a pack of dogs on the side of the road.[648]

September 26 Cave City, AR Alice Payne 75 years Pit bull Ms. Payne's daughter arrived and found the elderly woman dead on the floor of her home with apparent bite marks on her face, neck, and arms inflicted by her own pit bull. Police responded to a 911 call made by the woman's family, who were able to get the dog into the back yard where it was eventually put down by police officers.[649]

October 24 Hustisford, WI[650] Logan Meyer[650] 7 years Rottweiler[650] The boy was bitten and bled severely at his home where there was also a dog kennel. He and his family had moved there a week or two earlier.[651]
October 25 Rowland, NC Alameaner Dial 83 years Pit Bull (1 adult male, 1 adult female, and 2 puppies) Attacked by her granddaughter's 4 dogs. The victim's daughter in law said that the dogs were left to roam in a large fenced area, were known to be vicious, and had caused problems in the neighborhood before. Relatives and neighbors had repeatedly asked that the dogs be restrained. They had previously called police and the Department of Social Service to intervene, but the situation of the dogs had remained unchanged.[652]

November 12 Wind River Indian Reservation, WY Deanne Lynn Coando 40 years Pack of Reservation dogs No one witnessed the attack by the pack of roaming dogs and few details are available.[653]

November 14 Stratford, CT Stella Antanaitis 91 years Keeshond mix The women was attempting to intervene in a fight between her dog and cat when the dog attacked her.[654]

November 18 Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD Jayla Rodriguez [655] 8 years Pack of reservation dogs[656] While sledding near her home, the girl was attacked by a pack of dogs. Witnesses to the attack were unsure of how many dogs were involved or what were their breeds.[657]

December 25 Portage, IN Edward Cahill 40 years Pit Bull The man died after suffering bites to his arms and face from his dog. No one else was home to witness the attack. The man's girlfriend said they had given the dog a bone for Christmas and he was extremely aggressive and protective of it. The girlfriend also said that she had told Mr. Cahill to euthanize the dog in the past because he was "extremely aggressive and unpredictable."[658]
December 6 Citrus County, Florida Christopher Camejo 2 years Rottweilers (4) family pets[659]

Fatalities reported in 2015[edit]

Date

Victim's name

Victim's age

Category of Dog

Circumstances

January 7 Frederick, MD Eugene Smith 87 years Pit Bull The man died after suffering bites to his head and left arm from his son's dog. He was taking down a Christmas tree when the dog attacked him.[660]

January 19 Brooksville, FL Declan Moss 1.5 years mixed-breed dogs (2) Playing on his family's porch when the family's two dogs attacked. His grandfather tried to pull the dogs off, but when the ambulance arrived, he was already dead. Before the attack, the two dogs had played with Declan since they were puppies and they had never shown any aggression. After the attack, the two dogs were removed by animal services.[661]

January 23 College Springs, IA Malaki Mildward 7 years mixed-breed dogs (2) Playing in his yard with the six-month-old dogs — a 25-pound female and a 35-pound male — as he had done with no problems since they were small puppies. There were no witness; relatives came outside and found him unresponsive. The dogs stood calmly by while EMTs tried to revive him. They were calm and friendly as they were taken away until they along with the family's third dog were put down, just as they had reportedly always been with everyone before the attack.[662] When his father sold their litter-mates, he described them as "pitbull English bulldog-types. Malalaki was pronounced dead 50 minutes after the attack. No charges were filed.[663]

February 4 Coal Hill, AR Fredrick Crutchfield 63 Years Pack of three dogs Found dead by a family member. Investigators concluded that he was killed by his neighbors three dogs, which were impounded.[664]

February 22 West Mifflin, PA TayLynn DeVaughn 2 Years Pit bull-mix The family had been staying with the residents for days and the dog had shown no sign of aggression. At about 8:45 p.m. the dog suddenly bit her face and shook her, killing her very quickly.[665] She was pronounced dead at the hospital; the dog was euthanized, and no charges were filed.[666]

March 8 Ohio County, WV Roy Higgenbotham Jr. 63 years Pit Bull This man was killed while trying to resuscitate the dog's owner from a heart attack. The pit bull was not registered with the city, despite ordinance requiring all pit bulls in the city be registered. Both men were pronounced dead at a local hospital.[667]

March 12 Sulphur Springs, TX Betty Wood 78 years Rottweiler Found dead by her daughter in the home where she lived alone. Investigation concluded she had killed by the dog that she had owned for five years. The dog was scheduled to be destroyed and tested for rabies.[668]

March 14 Rosebud Indian Reservation, SD Julia Charging Whirlwind 49 years Pack of reservation dogs The woman was attacked early in the morning near her property. The sheriff arrived and shot and killed the dogs.[669]

March 21 Jefferson County, AK De'Trick Johnson 38 Pitbulls (7 or 8) Arrived at a garage for a car repair appointment, when seven guard dogs got under the fence and attacked him. He ran and got on the roof of his car, but was not saved. Police arrived and tazed a dog, but it had no effect, so he shot it dead. Animal control tried a tranquilizer gun on another, but that failed, so three more were shot dead, one escaped, and animal control captured and euthanized two. Before the attack, reports had been filed with the police about the dogs. After the attack, the escaped dog returned to the garage, showed aggression towards a deputy, and was shot along with an eighth dog which had been missed the day of the attack.[670][671] Manslaughter charges were filed.[672]

March 31 Washington, GA Neta Lee Adams 81 years Unknown The woman's body was found in a ditch and autopsy determined she had died from a dog attack.[673]

April 14 Pahrump, NV Kenneth Ford 79 years 3 pit bulls Ford went to his neighbor's two-home property to feed his cats when the pit bulls jumped the fence and attacked him.

April 19 Dallas TX Brayden Wilson 10 weeks old pit bull was savagely killed by his family's pet pit bull. the father stepped outside to turn on the sprinkler system. When he returned, the pit bull was attacking the infant who was in a bouncing the family had owned the pit bull for 8-years and it had grown up with two other children in the household, 8 and 11-years old. "It's just unexplainable," Tate said. "You just don't get it when you've had the dog so long, I don't know what could have happened. I don't know," Tate said.

May 2 Canyon Lake, Texas Gaege Ramirez 7 years old mixed breed 5 mauled to death by up to five dogs while visiting friends.

May 25 Chicago, Illinois James Nevils III 5 years old pit bull brutally attacked and killed by his cousin's pit bull while visiting his home. The dog belonged to the boy's cousin, who was away when the violent attack occurred.[674] [675]

June 28 Lawton, Oklahoma Jordan Collins-Tyson 3 years old pit bull killed by a pit bull while under the care of his babysitter. The pit bull fatally bit the little boy's throat. Police said the child had been around the dog before without any problems. [676]

July 2 Pecos, Texas Norberto Legarda 83 years old pit bulls (3) attacked and killed by three pit bulls belonging to his daughter's next door neighbor while feeding his daughter's labrador. the neighbor's pit bulls somehow entered into the backyard and began attacking Legarda and the labrador. When police arrived, the pit bulls were still attacking the dog and a man was lying in the backyard. Police had to pepper spray and taser the pit bulls to reach the injured man. Shortly thereafter, Legarda was pronounced dead. [677]

July 7 Hendersonville, North Carolina Joshua Strother 6 years old pit bull brutally killed by a pit bull belonging to his neighbor who had adopted the male, neutered pit bull from the Asheville Humane Society (AHS) three weeks earlier. The deadly attack occurred after Joshua climbed the fence to enter his neighbor's yard. Joshua had been climbing over the fence to visit the dog since its arrival, as well to play with his neighbor's young daughter. [678]

July 12 Shaker Heights, Ohio Annie Williams 71 years old pit bull attacked and killed by a pit bull just after she exited her car in a residential neighborhood. Annie was picking up her two great granddaughters from a home in Shaker Heights, where they were with their father, when the pit bull belonging to someone living in the home brutally attacked her in the driveway. [679]

July 24 Redbird, Oklahoma Carolyn Lamp 67 years old pit bulls (3) Rottweiler (1) violently killed by up to four dogs. Witnesses said she was walking down South Main Street in the small town of Redbird when the animals attacked. One man chased the dogs away, but it was too late. The dogs savaged the woman's face and ripped off all of her clothing. Witnesses said she was left unrecognizable. She died on scene.

August 22 Spartanburg, South Carolina Porsche Cartee 25 years Pit bull Porsche was killed by her pit bull when she tried to protect her two roommates from being attacked by the dog.[680]

September 9 North Shore, CA Emilio Rios 65 years Pit Bull (2) The man was out for a morning walk near his home when he was attacked by the dogs. The dogs also attacked a woman as they were ran off by the deputies, leaving her in a hospital with major injuries.[681]

October 20 Vidor, TX Tanner Smith 5 years Pit Bull (2) Child killed by two pit bulls while visiting a friend's home[682]

October 21 Oklahoma City Edgar Brown 60 years Pit Bulls (5) Man was killed by five pit bulls when he went to a friend's rental home to take out the trash.[683]

November 8 Elmont, NY Amiyah Dunston 9 years Pit Bull [684]

November 12 Madison County, TN Anthony Riggs 57 years Rottweiler Attacked and killed by a 5 year old pet Rottweiler he had adopted only that same day. His wife called deputies who shot the dog killing it. Riggs was pronounced dead on the scene with multiple bite wounds all over his body. [685]

November 15 Oneida County, NY Carter Hartle 11 Months Shar Pei-Pit Bull-mix [686] Family dog attacked and killed the baby while "playing" with the children.[687]

December 2 Detroit, MI Xavier Strickland 4 years Pit Bulls (4) Attacked and killed while walking with his mother to volunteer at a local school. The dogs escaped from a fenced yard and yanked the child away from his mother and dragged him back behind the fence. The mother tried to fight off the dogs from the child but the dogs would not let anyone intervene. Police arrived and shot 3 dogs fatally, the other was taken away by animal control. The child was rushed to a local hospital where he later died of his injuries. The dog owner was arrested by police.[688][689]

December 3 Port Huron, MI Rebecca Hardy 22 years Pit Bull and pit bull-Husky[690][691][692] The girl climbed over a fence into the yard where the dogs were kept. [693]
December 20 Miami, Fl Nyjah Espinosa 2 years Pit Bull - Bulldog mix killed by a pit bull-type dog while visiting her father's home.

Edited by Ann Wheeler

there are laws , new ones here in Michigan ,on how many dogs are allowed per household in some cities. Also already laws on vicious dogs.... mainly owning pit bull comes with restrictions, special licenses , home inspections, criteria on containment on property certain fencing height. certain kennel, etc... yes some towns banned pit bulls. Also most home insurances will not insure a home if it has a pit bull yes there are laws, some are unaware of thier city/towns ordinances, Some don't abide the laws/regulations.

There are an awful lot of "at large" dogs on that list that Ann posted. Also a lot of 'previous' reports.

IMO, both of THOSE issues are straight up owner problems. Keep control of your animals people. If they aren't running around loose and unsupervised, they are a LOT less likely to be biting people and/or other animals. If they have bitten someone previously and you are keeping them, DO something about it. Go to a professional trainer, learn what you need to do to prevent it from happening again.

And round and round we go!

Yes, people are a large factor, concerning responsible dog ownership, as well as gun ownership. Lets get past that, as we are never going to be able to screen people completely in either case, and when any attempt is made, towards legislation, in either case, we get the pr lobbies, whether that be the gun lobby and, in this case, ,the PItt Bull lobby, with cries of individual rights violation. Guns don't kill people, and it's not the dog type but the owners. who are at fault. true enough, but it is also a fact that the human equation has yet to be controlled.

****, women don't even have a screening system in place, to identify as to which males might become abusive in the future, so how are you going to control 'responsible/qualified dog ownership?

Well, so far, what has worked, whether that seems fair to the Pitt Bull lovers,or not, is having bans in place and restrictions. The human element is much harder to control, Surely to God that is evident from the entire 'right to bare arms, with no gun restrictions

Sometimes the rights/interest of the many, have to out weigh those of the few!

You can also list dog incidents caused by other breeds, including serious ones, and that does not change the fact, that overall, Pitt Bull types still rank # 1, far s statistics, sep taking incidents by % of population. You are not going to change those facts by retohics !

Yes, you can google, and of course, incidents of serious dog attacks will come up for other large dog breeds, that has never been denied

However, Pitt Bull bans are in place, based on statics, percentage, not by any claim that other large dogs are not also involved in these types of attacks.

So, those cases don't mean much, in the overall picture, until you break them down as number of inicidents per breed type, based on their % of total dog population

Perhaps, when another breed, reaches the same level of incidents, they too will join the Pitt Bulls, far as bans and restrictions, and then rightly so.

I personally don't get the mind set where urban dwellers have to have these dogs in the first place (including other big breeds )-often not only one but two or more

Those dogs sit penned up all day, then taken for short walks, in order to have a'dump'

About as natural as keeping a horse stalled, but that is another topic by itself

Edited by Smilie

Smilie, I agree... very much a circular argument. Chicken or the Egg. IMO, it is because there isn't one single answer. At risk of really offending a large population of wonderful pet owners who have PitBulls... it is hard to ignore the fact that there is a certain subset of the population who get PitBulls as a way to look 'tough' and 'dangerous'. They aren't getting Miniature Poodles for a reason. From what I can tell, not many of them are concerned about getting a solid dog with a stable temperament (this goes back to poor breeding practices). It only goes to follow that they are ALSO not likely to follow up with good training and good animal husbandry in general.

So, now you have physically strong dogs, with crappy temperments, not being training or cared for properly, being allowed to run around and procreate with all the OTHER crappy dogs with crappy temperments, being 'celebrated' for being tough and sold to the thug down the street for $150 dollars who throws THAT dog in the back yard and feeds it crappy food and doesn't train it, and then decides to have puppies when the ***** is 1 and a half years old so he can make some cash, and and and and.

I think there are a LOT of dog breeds that require specific handling. I've got a couple myself. People in the Malinios community are very concerned about the breed getting popular for the EXACT reasons stated above. Right now they aren't really on any of those breed lists... but what happens if people who don't understand the intensity of the breed and how to deal with them start buying and producing them in droves, and selling them to uneducated 'buyers' and producing reactive, sketchy dogs? I'll tell you what happens... they go the way of the PitBull.

It took a while for the PitBull breed to get to the 'scary dog' status that it has now achieved. 20 years ago they weren't on the radar. Popularity is the downfall of many a breed of dog IMO.

The ban, has probably more to do with liability, than a bias towards the dogs themselves. If you choose to own a pit type dog, be prepared to either pay a lot more for homeowners insurance,get denied coverage, or, have a landlord refuse to rent to you.( because, they base their decisions on the statistics ).

Ann did post a few incidents in which the dog was of undetermined breed, or, dogs running at large, but, she also posted cases in which the pit bull owners stated, they had this/these dogs for years around other people/children and, they had never done anything like that before, they just seemed to snap, attacking.... whomever. Which basically, solidifies my opinion, they do have a, "switch". Maybe it's different for every dog, a child running/playing, being too loud, an adult making eye contact, moving wrong.....whatever it is and, after watching/hearing about my niece's dog, my opinion is even stronger.

Own whatever dog you want, but, don't defend it when the numbers are right there, when the MAJORITY of dog bites/attacks/fatalities are perpetrated by pit bull or, Pitt mixed type dogs.

An owner can be responsible, do everything right but, when the dog has it bred into him, all the, " right", all the precautions, won't prevent that dog from coming unglued when he's triggered.( pitt bulls do lock onto their victims, which is why, the need for a break stick).

These, of course, are my opinions, but, they have been derived from all I've read/heard/seen, about the pit bull type dogs.

I say these things, even though, my sister's dogs were nice, so, am not coming from a place of bias.

Edited by equicrzy

Are you freaking serious nick?

Stop it.

Grow up.

Stop answering sources, citations, opinions, and discussion with personal remarks. Stop it. It's so asinine it's not even a laughing matter.

You don't have to agree with anyone. You don't even have to agree with anyone's posted facts/opinions.

What you do in that case is offer your own facts, sources, opinions, and citations.

That is how debate works.

What you are doing is looking for excuses to insult people you don't agree with, and find ways to twist words and shove the topic onto something completely unrelated. I don't know if you are just that bored, but your behavior is quite frankly embarrassing.

Of course, I can't stop you from continuing your strange method of debating, but this board would be improved by a thousand percent if people (because you are not the only culprit in this ridiculous behavior) would learn to separate the personal level from the discussion level. It's really not that hard. If I can consider and disagree with someone's opinion on here without it coloring my personal view on them, so can anyone else.

THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH!

I haven't read all replies, admittedly only the first few.

My opinion of pit bulls. It is biased. And it is not a supportive one, based solely off my own personal experience.

I have a "neighbor" who owns pit bulls. At any given time he will have anywhere from one to three or four.

Some of you may remember several years ago when one of his dogs mauled my horses. The attack, which took place on my property, in my barn and pasture, left one mare permanently disfigured and on stall rest for six months, another with a chunk missing from her mouth and a gelding deathly afraid of dogs in general.

Since that day, this dog has been responsible for eradicating nearly an entire herd of goats, several flock of chickens and one of my own dogs. It's been a living nightmare.

I absolutely despise this dog. But more so I despise his owners.

You see, the dog is being a dog. Doing what is his instinct. It is 100% the responsibility of his owners to keep him home, restrained, confined and safe; in order to keep neighboring animals and families safe. I blame them for every attack this dog has participated in.

With that being said, please understand that I won't hesitate to end this dogs life of terrorizing if given the chance. I have, and will continue, to seize every opportunity. I keep a loaded shotgun accessible for that reason. But. He's smart, he's sneaky, calculating. And I loathe him. Him and the pack he brings with him. They are out for blood and I've lost more than enough to justify my actions.

And after years of dealing with this monster, my opinion of the entire breed has become biased. I simply can't risk living any other way.

If I see one crossing my property, I shoot it. Period.

We show in the UKC with our dogs periodically. I refuse to set up next to them. I don't socialize with their handlers. I won't line up for class next to one. I can't cheer them on.

We participate with a local dog club, after several incidents involving pits, I voted to ban their participation.

Why? Because it is my experience that 99% of the people who own them, shouldn't. And that is a dangerous situation. They are a smart, capable, strong willed dog that has to have knowledgable leadership. Without it, they take control. And they (or any other dog) should never be in control of their handler.

Edited by mehpenn

I do my own research, make my decision on that as well the statistic's, on health issues, temperament. as well. yes I have had bad experience with both a large breed and small, there are many breeds both large/small I know what I'm capable of handling, Not able to handle .

I do my own research, make my decision on that as well the statistic's, on health issues, temperament. as well. yes I have had bad experience with both a large breed and small, there are many breeds both large/small I know what I'm capable of handling, Not able to handle .

Works for individual choice, but not for general public policy, far as looking at the individual dog in the Pit Bull population, and then deciding on one particular Pit Bull

None of that changes the fact ,that while any dog can bite, attack people, and do, afterall they are predators, Pit Bulls remain the type that are implicated in the highest number of serious dog attacks, even though they only represent a small portion of the total dog population.

Thus, laws, bans, have to reflect those facts, regardless of the few Bit bulls owned by responsible people, and who are decent dogs.

So, let me see if I have this right....

Those of you saying things like "most pit bulls are violent and aggressive" probably also say things along the lines of "most Muslims are terrorists" or "most black males are thugs" or "most gun owners are rabid activists" am I correct?

If you choose to generalize something such as a dog's character simply based on it's breed, I will assume that you also make such generalizations about other things.

Or, if this is not correct and you find that the ONLY thing you are generalizing is the pit bull, I encourage you to reconsider your thinking.

For those of you who have been injured/had bad experiences with these dogs I am truly sorry and please know that I am not exploiting your feelings or fear of them. But, I myself have never had a badz experience with a pit bull. Several other breeds yes, but never a pit bull.

While I am not one of those rabid pro-pit people, I do believe that in the correct home and surroundings, these dogs are wonderful companions, very smart, loyal, and fun to have. I simply refuse to generalize ALL pits into the aggressive/violent category based only on their breed.

Yes pit bulls have a bad reputation. Yes, they can be dangerous if in the wrong hands. But I believe that most dogs behind attacks on humans simply had bad/uneducated owners who didn't take the time to train/socialize them properly.

I've had strangers in the pet store tell me that they were afraid of pit bulls until they met mine and saw how gently and friendly he is. Anyone can safely approach my dog and give him a head rub, and I guarantee he will love it :)

You can't argue with statistics...... that, by the way, no matter where you look, comes out the same..... well, you can argue, I suppose, if you just plain don't want to believe what you are seeing.

I won't address the other comments, it's baiting and, has nothing to do with a discussion of pit bulls.

So, let me see if I have this right....

Those of you saying things like "most pit bulls are violent and aggressive" probably also say things along the lines of "most Muslims are terrorists" or "most black males are thugs" or "most gun owners are rabid activists" am I correct?

Excuse me?

You guys need to stop this. Seriously.

Comparing human beings and dog breeds (have you ever looked into the genetic mold-ability of the dog? How unique they are in this regard?) just shows how utterly ignorant you are and that you are speaking with parroted opinion and false information.

You should be ashamed of such a ridiculous offensive straw-man argument. I am disgusted that you can even consider such a thing because I understand how dog breeding, genetics, and temperament pre-disposition in canines works and you do not.

Disgusting.