Sign in to follow this  
skidroe

Senior Feed: Triple Crown Senior Or Nutrena Safe Choice Senior

We have 2 senior horses (21 and 29) that are being fed Triple Crown Senior along with forage. The 29-year old has Cushings so we need to keep the sugars low. What is your preference between the two? Where we live, the Nutrena is about $5.00/bag less than the Triple Crown. :smilie:

Let's have a look at the labels, shall we?

Both of them have the same protein and lysine. Safe Choice has higher methionine and threonine, which is good. Good for feet too. Crude fat is at 10% in one and 8% in the Safe Choice. Here is where I really start to lean towards Safe Choice, because 8% is lower than 10%, I wish it was at 5%. Fat is just fat, no nutritional value whatsoever, not required by the horse and if not being earned promotes fatty pads (a storage of cytokines that love to react and inflame) What you don't see, is the fat accumulating around the organs. Safe Choice has a reversed Omega balance that is inflammatory. Major minerals: calcium is higher in the Triple Crown and its balance with phosphorus is high and low on the magnesium. Therefore, it does not follow the strict protocol of cal/phos at 1.5:1 to offset bone problems. Just as important to a senior horse as it is a growing one. Kinda like life coming full circle. Magnesium has over 300 jobs to do in the body and one of them is the firing of cells, and that's a horse's nervousness level. It should be cal/mag: 2:1, not almost 4:1 in the TC. That makes magnesium deficient in the face of high calcium. I would think about magnesium supplement with this feed. With the Safe Choice, the calcium is a bit lower, but the balance is right on with phosphorus at 1.46:1........... and there is no magnesium in the Safe Choice at all. Been forgotten, which I often see. So, definitely supplementing magnesium with this feed. As for the trace minerals, the TC balance is good between iron/copper/zinc/manganese. I can see that balance because the iron is listed. Not so on the SafeChoice, which means they are hiding it and it will take a phone call to eek it out of them. At any rate, I like the higher numbers on the copper and zinc in the TC and hoping that the hay will further these numbers to finish the job of needs met on these two. (needs must be met first, before balancing) Selenium is low, but the rest is probably in the hay. Won't know without a hay test, but too high is also bad, so keep an eye out for any added Se in other products fed.

And now we get down to the gist of it, the sugar and starch. Everyone thinks sugar is bad, but 50% of it goes to glucose, starch on the other hand, is 100%. Sugar plus starch should not go over 10% in the horse's total daily diet. This is tight rule for IR/Cushings and since we don't want to go there, I think its a good rule for everyone to obey, whether sensitive or not. The NSC in the TC is really close at 11.7%. Another target by this feed hit dead on. The starch and sugar in the Safe Choice comes to 20% Whoa! And 16% of that is starch! An elderly horse is at a much higher risk for Cushings and this stuff is going to feed it to him for sure, I'm thinking.

The TC Senior wins hands down. The high NSC in the Safe Choice clinches it. The TC Senior hit two targets dead on, didn't forget the magnesium and had the guts to show the iron, lol! Hope this helps.....

Sorry, I haven't been totally honest. Neither product works for me hands down. Its adding iron, sugar and starch, which are all bad for Cushings, especially at an elderly age. There's enough iron in the hay already. There is even iron on the hay already from the machinery that produced it. It is 10X more bioavailable to the horse in water. It's everywhere! When storage capacity for iron has been reached, it goes running through the blood like rust, attaches to cells and hangs around for a week until the cell dies and is thrown out. It plugs up the intake valves and forces copper and zinc to pass on making them deficient in the face of it. Good hay at 400pm daily intake and these products are going to boost it to 600ppm. If the hay test comes in at 600ppm, then you're bumping it up to 800ppm. Means you have to add more zinc and copper to fight high iron, just from feeding this product. Then there's the added sugar and starch. No vitamin A, no vitamin C, no vitamin E in these products at all. Very important on a hay only diet. Incomplete, imbalanced and taxing to an elderly horse.

If you do have a Cushingoid horse and if symptoms were showing, the first thing I'd do is get a hay test and balance properly. I would also leave the neighbourhood store and go online to Uckele and see what they've got. Dr. Kellon is at the helm there and she's on the leading edge of research on this problem. Reading their labels is like a breath of fresh air, cause with her help....they "get it".

Neither one.

I have an insulin resistant horse that is so difficult to control, he is on prescription herbs.

I have another horse that is a complete nut case on any sort of grain and soy. Soy is not only his worst nemesis, it also isn't something Metabolic and/or PPID diagnosed horses shouldn't have either.

99% of feeds, ration balancers and condensed vitamins use soy as their protein source.

McCauley's M-10 Balancer is pretty good, IF you can find it. https://www.mccauleybros.com/supplements/products/m10

I got tired of having to special order it from a feed store 40 miles away. When someone on another forum pointed me toward Horse Tech, I read their label and switched.

I have my horses on Horse Tech's High Point grass formula. It is a condensed vit/min supplement with no grains, no soy and no added iron! Whoo Hoo!

Their calculated NSC % is "less than 4.25%".

For some reason, I cannot copy/paste their website so, I hope I type it correctly:

http://www.horsetech.com/high-point-grass.html.

This supplement is for horses on grass hay and pasture. They also have a supplement for horses on alfalfa.

My horses have been on this product for 10 months and I have no complaints. Their coats glisten, eyes are bright, clean and alert, and their hoof health is terrific.

The IR horse deals with founder but his hoof wall is thick and strong, considering his front hooves have been to Hades and back. Both stay barefoot and are trimmed every four weeks.

The product is pricey but I only feed 3 ounces daily per horse, divided into two feedings. This is one of those things that you get what you pay for.

I buy the powder form and mix it with two 8 ounce measuring cups of timothy pellets and just enough water to keep the High Point and other needed supplements from blowing out of the feed pan.

If there is another vit/min supplement safe for metabolic and PPID horses that is soy-free, no iron added and has a very low NSC value, I hope someone will post a link to it. These are important things for horse owners with these issues to know about:)