Sign in to follow this  
TrailPixie1

Fabtron Saddle For Twh

I just got a new TWH. Unfortunately, my saddle for my Paint/TB doesn't fit the new guy. I had a Crest Ridge years ago for my old TWH. I've been looking for a used one, but the prices for a used Crest Ridge are a little out of my price range right now.

I've found a Fabtron Cross Trail saddle online (in my price range). My question: Does anyone have this saddle with the regular (FQH) bars & use it on their Walkers? My guy is big shouldered, high withered & thin in the back. Fabtron makes a gaited bar with more flare in the front & higher wither room, but it only comes in a 16" or 17"....I need a 15" (which is only available in the regular tree). I'm concerned about the flare in the front of the regular tree & wither clearance.

Any info/opinions would be great. Thanks!

Here's a picture if that helps!

post-49100-0-49607400-1441847333.jpg

Edited by TrailPixie1

Lovely Horse!!!!

Soft eye and great focus!!

Your in luck!!!

Most saddles that say "For Gaited horses" are designed for Walkers, with "Y" shaped trees that are narrow through the body and wide at the shoulders.

If your looking for a cordura/light weight saddle Abetta, Wintec, Bighorn and just about every brand offers their version of this style of gaited horse saddle. Different brands offer different length swells that provide clearance for the withers. Shop around the different saddle companies to find the ones that will fit your horse's withers. Look at their diagrams, some measure from the top of the inner arch of the swell to the point it goes into the skirting once the saddle is finished the majority measure the tree before anything is attached. If you have any questions, just call their customer service. All of the ones that I talked to either knew the information or had someone who did know called me back. You can also buy a "cutback" saddle pad to open up the space for his withers.

My horse is a Foxtrotter and built like a Morgan (wide shoulders, rounded ribcage/ barrel and short backed). I tried 32 saddles before I found an older wide bar Circle Y that fit her. Some saddle makers like Tucker, Circle Y and a few others have started to offer wide width gaited saddles. Yeah!

If you want to build up the muscle in his top line, there are some easy exercises that you can do from the ground to help your horse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01ZRtkl2X3Y

and https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=ttouch+horses+belly+lift&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

My TB had the same withers and dropped back that your boy has. I did belly lifts each morning when I fed her. She loved the feeling she got and would almost go to sleep. The difference in her back and action was amazing!

Edited by dondie

Thank you! I just got this guy 2 months ago. He was quite thin when I got him, and covered with battle scars from herd mates that didn't want to share the food. He's been getting good quality hay & grain and has gained some weight. His ribs aren't as visible now, but he could still use a few pounds. I think he likes being the only one here!

Most of the gaited saddles I found are 16" or larger seats. I needed a 15". I finally contacted the great people at Crest Ridge (I had one of their saddles for another TWH with the same build years ago.) He's between tree sizes right now, so they suggested going with the wide since he's still gaining weight & muscle. I found a used Crest Ridge model that they said would work for him online. It's a 16", but I'll just have to deal with it 'til I save up enough to buy a new 15". Also not sure how much his conformation will change when he gets back to serious work. (We've been taking it easy since my other saddle didn't fit 100%...not horrible, but didn't want to make him sore or hate seeing the saddle come out!)

I am doing the belly lifts on him. I used to do them on my 34 yr old to keep his back from swaying too much. LOTS of hills around here to condition on when the new/used saddle gets here!

I have nothing to add about the saddle questions but I wanted to say your boy looks ADORABLY SWEET! I'm usually not a fan of the red horses but I think his coloring is gorgeous. I'd love to see more pics of him, especially since he's gained some weight. I bet he loves being with you and being an only horse who doesn't have to scrimp for every mouthful of hay.

Thank you Heidi n Q! He's got quite the personality. He's only 6 yrs old, but has that 'old soul' feeling about him. He can get a bit goofy, but overall he's a good boy.

I don't have any other pictures of him that are small enough to load right now. I'll try to find some.