Sign in to follow this  
gisles

Spotted Saddle Horse

I have a friend who has cancer and asked if I wanted to buy his spotted saddle horse. I have never had a gaited horse before and know nothing about them. He is selling him pretty cheap only 200.00 for him. I rode him briefly and he did fine. He was very well behaved stood for saddling and mounting. Let me pick up all four feet with not issues. I really don't need another horse but am considering buying him. I thought maybe if I got him and he didn't work out for me I could sell him and not have too much money invested.

Can anyone tell me anything about this breed?

If he's that sweet, I'd snap him up!

I have ridden gaited breeds since I moved across the country in 2001. Two Peruvians (my FAVE breed), several Paso Finos (a little too fire-y for me) and now I have a Rocky/Kentucky Mountain Horse. My Bestie has bought two Rocky's in the last year and we both are loving the breed.

I believe the SSHs are close in temperament and gait to the Walkers, Foxtrotters and Rockys. I am still learning my Rocky's gaits, finding what speeds she is most smooth at, but I am also finding she has a wide range of gait-gears and most of them are pretty doggone smooth! She will flat walk, canter and trot, though I definitely prefer she not trot! I also find she cross-canters about 30% of the time and I just slow her down and ask her to start over. I think I need to learn to cue her better.

I would advise you to buy him. Ride him. If you fall in love with him, keep him. If not, as you said, you can always sell him w/out having put too much $ into him. AND you may just make some profit! Especially if you can wait to sell until Spring. A willing attitude and smooth ride are highly desirable in the trail riding market.

My MFT is also registered as SSH . She is the sweetest mare around and her gaits are so much fun. I was not familiar with gaited breeds when I got her but have learned over the years. She has a natural gait so I dont have to clue or work to keep her in it. I say buy him :yahoo:

Boy, I got busy and couldn't get back to this. I did get him. I am letting him acclimate to our home and the other horses. They haven't let him come to close yet, but they haven't beaten him up either. I was at work when they brought him and they just put him in with my horses.

He walks right up to you in the pasture so that is good. I have no clue on how to ride a gaited horse. This weekend I'll try him out. I would post a picture, but can't figure out how.

sorry to hear about your friend, but i'm sure it's a relief for him to have found a home for the horse.

i'm no expert on gaited horses having only ridden MFTs a couple of times and one Icelandic, but I was told to just relax every joint in my body and go with the flow. the MFTs were in sidepulls and I forget now what the Icelandic was wearing, but I do remember clearly that it was very, very comfortable. riding a gaiting fox trotter upriver was a gas!! (if you wear glasses take them off first lol).

Edited by nick

My friend used to board, sell and train horses. It is sad to see him have to give up everything. He is down to three boarders now. Everything else is gone.

I am going to get him out tomorrow and see how well he rides. I only rode him at a walk at his place. It's funny he follows me everywhere when I am outside with them. At least until one of my other horses chases him off. He has a very friendly personality. I hope it carries over in the riding.

I'm sure his friendliness will transfer over as willingness when riding. If they stay with you on the ground they'll usually stay with you in the saddle, too. Sit straight and balanced and just go-with-the-flow of his movement. I would gather up the reins for light contact when asking for gait, just to see what kind of contact he prefers. Some need steady contact and others prefer very light contact. Do grip lightly with your knees to keep your lower leg from swinging, but don't grip tight enough it causes any muscle strain.

I found my mare has several gait "gears" with different speeds. She is smooth in all of them. When I first started riding her, she would break gait most often at the faster speeds so I have kept us slower and slowly worked up to the faster gait speeds as she developed stamina for it.

Have fun!

I finally had a chance to ride him longer this weekend. I just rode him in the pasture. He did pretty well. This horse hasn't been ridden much in the last year. He was a little nervous and kept looking for his pasture mates.

I don't think he likes the bit I rode him in. He would keep shaking his head. He listened well and did what I asked, but I would like him to not fight the bit. I used a jointed snaffle with a roller in the middle. Any suggestions?

Keep trying until you find the bit he likes? My only other suggestion would be to try either a mild shanked bit with a solid mouth or bitless. I've also seen a lot of gaited horses ridden in a kind of gag bit called a wonder bit. I don't particularly care for gag bits and use a small spoon bit with my Rocky mare. She seems to prefer a solid mouth to carry over the french link snaffle I first rode her in.

Can you ask previous owner if you can buy the headstall he used on this horse?

That's Chip. I did talk to his former owner tonight. They rode him in a snaffle or hackamore. I have a French link snaffle I'll try that tomorrow. I ride my other horses bitless so I will try that also. I wish I had someone to ride with I would love to see how he does on a ride. I have only rode him in our pasture and don't feel comfortable riding him out alone yet.

post-31740-0-81399300-1446259054.jpg

He looks adorable! I wish we lived nearby so we could ride together. It is so much fun riding gaited because we cover some ground!

My husband was my riding partner, but he was in a bad accident last year and is in a wheelchair. Hopefully he will be able to ride again in the future. Not sure yet if I am keeping him. He is awfully sweet though. I hope he works out for me.