Sign in to follow this  
QueenBAW

Whats Going On In My Neck Of The Woods. Sad, Sad, Digusting.

http://www.nbc29.com/story/30299599/orange-county-officials-investigating-major-animal-welfare-case

From Facebook Friends;

"Yesterday I witnessed something that will be etched in my mind forever. A farm in Somerset was seized for animal neglect and finally people arrived on the scene to help the animals. The vets had the job of determining which ones were still viable while animal control and police searched the property for helpless dying animals. The farm smelled of death. Cats running around looking for a warm place, sick and starving. Over 100 horses waiting to die, hoping to die. Dogs, mini's, cats, horses, donkeys and mules all waiting. Jaws of manure forks clutched the dead bodies of these animals as they were tossed in a large dumster. The remaining animals need help and need people to volunteer their fields, farms, money, time or food to help rescue organizations deal with this overwhelming, heartbreaking problem. Below is just a few of the animals removed last night. Many more need help today. Please contact Maya at Hope Leagacy - (434)531-5688 or Orange County Police Dept. Ph: (540) 672-1200 or Patricia Dahl (540)672-9725 with Animal Control or you may email her at pdahl@orangecountyva.gov"

"Hey Folks, I know you all know me. Yeah Im the Mad Tack guy. I normally don't do posts like this, but I just had to share my experience from yesterday. I got called out to Somerset to help with horse transportation. When I arrived, I seriously cant tell you the horror story that was going on out there. The pictures that the news stories have been showing, don't even come close to whats out there. There were multiple dumpsters being loaded with carcasses of dead animals. The stench was unbearable. There were horses in every shape imaginable. I met the owner and she seriously has some mental issues and Im sure there will be a lot of legal proceedings and such Im not even going to go down that path. For the courts to decide. I hauled horses out of there from 11am to 7pm non stop. Please don't thank me or give me a pat on the back, that's not why I was there. The real ones that need a thank you are as follows. Orange County Sheriff and deputies. They did an amazing job and a lot of the deputies are not even horse people. I witnessed a deputy spend 40 minutes trying to get a horse to gain enough confidence with a little grain to slip a halter on, and once he was able to get the halter, realize that the horse was missing a chunk of his head. The vets and vet assistants there were unbelievable. They did a fantastic job!! And to all the rescues that were on sight, Hope's Legacy, CVHR, and Gentle Giants. (Im sure there were more, im sorry I don't know their names) They worked like a well oiled machine getting those horses moved out of there. They all deserve a round of applause. But heres the thing now. The rescues need some serious help and donations. They have all been flooded with horses that need some major care. All of the rescues have FB pages and websites and all have ways that monetary donations can be made. Saddlery Liquidators is a drop off point for CVHR and/or Orange County Animal Shelter. Mad Tack is a drop off point for Hope's Legacy Equine Rescue (and I saw somewhere that the new tack shop in Crozet has offered to be a drop off point. I apologize I do not know their name and please don't hold me to it if I am mistaken about that) Here's what we need desperately right now. First aid supplies (vet wrap, vetericyn, wormer, blu-kote, rain rot med, etc.) BLANKETS ANY SIZE, feed, hay (sorry I don't have equip to move round bales, only square), and of course money. Money for vets, farriers, fuel, etc. etc. I also want to let you know that these rescues are being inundated with calls, and messages, so please be patient for a reply, and don't be offended if they miss your comment on one of their posts. They are all working overtime. I know there is a major issue with cats and dogs too and honestly I wish I could answer your questions, but I do not know how to, I am only involved with the horse side of it. I would tell anyone interested in cats and dogs to call Orange County Animal Shelter to find out how to help. I was also told that Madison County Animal Shelter is taking over flows. Im sure all the surrounding counties have pitched in. So please contact any of them to see about help. Id like to say one last thing. If for some reason you don't like this post, feel the need to debate something, or leave a nasty rude comment. Please DONT, JUST SCROLL ON BY. Caus the way I feel right now, is either help, or shut up!"

I myself dont usually reach out to others and ask for people to donate, but if you can guys/gals...please. I have worked with Maya at Hopes Legacy and she is an incredible woman.

I don't have spare money, but I have a bunch of STUFF; halters, feed pans, water buckets, and some vet supplies, shampoos and the like. No way to get it there though. Cause I have no spare money.

Oz, no worries! Thank you for the thought.

This case gets deeper by the day. Apparently this woman admitted to deputies yesterday that she had bought another horse... Just yesterday!

40 dead cats in her house!

She is being allowed to keep 35 of her personal warmblood horses in which she is breeding! I now hear that number is down to 30.

For those of you who have Facebook, you can spend hours reading up on this case on the Virginia Horse Network page.

Sad when animals have to suffer from the neglect of a human, should put owner on bread & water for a while, & let her stomach feel empty. PD

how about putting her in jail and then putting her on stale bread and water? nothing like getting a taste of what you're dishing out.

Gawd, that is disgusting! My heart literally hurts for those poor animals and their suffering.

There is a dairy/horse ranch not far from us that was finally seized. The neglect had been continuously reported by locals and the staff, but every time they went out, the horses in question had been moved.

Took the authority forever to gather enough evidence on the couple who owned the dairy.

Of course they blamed everyone but themselves. Ugh!

They seized over 200 horses, a foal died a few days later, Vets couldn't save it. So sad.

This woman claimed to be a rescue and took in over a million dollars in donations just a couple years ago. Seems she spent that money on her horses in her breeding program, and not on the others. Someone else claimed that shes getting 5k a month in alimony. I wish I could somehow copy and paste pictures of these horses, but Im sure you all can imagine what an emaciated horse looks like. For what its worth there is a petition making the rounds to have the remaining 30-35 seized as well, but the laws are the laws and they dont really work in the horses favor at this point. I want to keep you guys updated but honestly right now I need to take a mental break. The more I read the more nauseous and upset I get. Im not sure why this is hitting me so hard, perhaps because I personally know the lady that runs one of the rescues that took a lot of these horses in. This case is bringing me to my knees. I am donating although I feel my donation is small. A couple halters, a bag of Triple Crown Senior, and a metal trash can to store grain in.

On a happier note, I copied and pasted this update from the Southern States Facebook page:

"With incredible support from the community, in the first two days, we have 66 bales of Standlee alfalfa, 26 bags of Triple Crown Senior, 12 bags of Standlee hay pellets, 2 bags of Triple Crown Alfalfa Cubes, and a bag each of dog and cat food donated. We have over $650 available for the rescues to use as needed for supplies, feed, whatever they need.
Add that to the one ton of Triple Crown Senior, one ton of Alfalfa Pellets, 20 bags of Triple Crown Alfalfa Forage, and 20 bags of Standlee Alfalfa pellets that were donated by Southern States, Triple Crown Nutrition, and Standlee Hay Company... We have a great start to helping these starving horses recover.
If you are interested in buying a bag of feed, a salt block, bale of hay, or just putting money for the rescues to use as they see fit, please either donate to the rescues or call Charlottesville Southern States."

Edited by QueenBAW

Todays official update:

ORANGE COUNTY SHERIFF’s OFFICE
PRESS RELEASE

The Orange County Sheriff’s Office executed a search warrant at Peaceable Farm on Liberty Mills Rd in Orange County. This Office was on the property from Monday morning until Wednesday evening working with veterinarians evaluating every horse that was on the property and many other domesticated animals.
As I have stated before Va. Code section 3.2-6569 says that a law enforcement officer or animal control officer may lawfully seize and impound any animal “that has been abandon, has been cruelly treated or is suffering from an apparent violation of this chapter that has rendered the animal in such condition as to constitute a direct and immediate threat to its life safety or health”. In practice this means that a veterinarian has to determine that an animal is almost dead…anything less is not seize able.
By working with the property owner she surrendered 71 horses 28 cats and 7 dogs.
5 horses were euthanized and 7 horses were found dead.
As of Tuesday night many of the horses had been removed from the property by 6 different rescue organizations and others that had volunteered to help.
On Monday and Tuesday Veterinarians triaged all horses that were on the property to quickly determine their medical condition. The sickest horses were the first removed along with some surrendered horses.
Yesterday, a vet returned to the farm to conduct a more in-depth medical evaluation of the remaining horses. The vet spent additional time with each horse to determine their body composition. 10 more of the remaining horses were determined to be in need of immediate vet care. At this point the property owner refused to surrender the horses and the Sheriff’s Office seized them from her.
All horses that have been surrendered or seized, have been taken off the property and are in the hands of rescue organizations.
The property owner is still in possession of 18 horses, 2 donkeys, 1 bull and several cats.
The internal investigation that we are currently working was initiated after complaints were received over the past weekend in reference to the case that we are currently working.
Social Media has reported that a complaint was given to Animal Control of a dead horse in the field and they did nothing. Upon hearing this for the first time, I started investigating the story. A search of our database found no complaints were reported, I followed up with the contact on social media, she put me in contact with the neighbor who had reportedly made the claim. He reported to me that he saw a ‘downed’ horse in the field, and notified the farm-workers that were at Peaceable Farm. He did not report it to Animal Control or the Sheriff’s Office. More complaints are being looked into in reference to the internal investigation.

Because the ones that she is being allowed to keep are/have been deemed to be in decent shape/health. The laws here are very poor as far as the welfare of horses go. They have to be extremely emaciated or even down for animal control to remove them.

I have read that she has done this exact thing in 2 other states. I think the saddest part right now is people that have sold her horses in the past are scrambling to find them, wondering if they were among the emaciated seized. I get choked up thinking about it. One lady right now is trying desperately to locate an older Lipizzaner stallion that she sold to this woman a couple years ago. So far theyve been unable to locate him and think she may even be hiding him in Maryland.

You would think, since she has abused so many, only caring for the ones that can make her money, would be enough to say....no more animals.

I mean, so many dead and near death animals on her property?!

Wanna hear something sad? The local humane society said they won't rescue horses because they have nowhere to put them. I offered them free space with a barn and water provided. They aren't interested.

Wanna hear something sad? The local humane society said they won't rescue horses because they have nowhere to put them. I offered them free space with a barn and water provided. They aren't interested.

This really doesn't surprise me. It is sad though.

Sorry guys, no real official update today. I've read that this woman is supposed to appear in court in 9 days. She has lawyered up and posted no trespassing signs all over the property as well. There is a fear that this woman will/is going to have the horses she was allowed to keep moved, and so a sheriff deputy sits at the end of her driveway to make sure that doesn't happen. That's all of what I've read today. There hasn't been another press release or anything as of yet.

On a happier note, we really have some amazing people here. The donations are pouring in, in fact so much so that Southern States is stock piling bags of grain and bales of hay for the rescue. A local tack shop owner is making daily trips to the rescue with his truck and trailer loaded down with various donations.

Latest word is the house will likely be condemned and burned down as a biohazard due to all the rotting animals inside.

Oz, yes, that's what I've read too. She was apparently living in her truck because the house was so bad. The sheriff's department had to enter the house wearing hazmat suits. Disgusting.

Thank you for spreading the word!!!

Just read a press release but I'm having a hard time copying and pasting here on my phone. Apparently some storage units rented by this woman were searched today. Nothing has been said as to what was in those storage units.

The Orange County Commonwealths attorney and sheriff have scheduled a press conference to start at 2pm. They are expected to offer new details on the investigation. I will keep you all updated.

The donations of hay, grain , and blankets are pouring in! So much so that monetary donations are now being taken instead (to help with vetting). I myself had a hard time getting a bag of TCS for my guy due to sellout.

UPDATE: Per the Press Conference, 27 charges are pending.

Thats all I have for now since the idiots at the local news station didnt live stream the press conference. People are super pissed about that too. Ive read that the lady was taken into custody about an hour ago, but again Im not sure that is fact. If so, that makes you wonder who is taking care of the remaing animals she was allowed to keep. Does that now mean that they'll be seized as well? One could hope.