ShamlessDQ

Beyond Girthy

In this specific instance, the saddle was definitely coming into contact with her spine. Even if it wasn't the cause of the problem, it needed to be fixed.

And yeah, I've dealt with the spooking to get out of work, taking off to get out of work, kicking out and half-bucking (we fixed that one, although we discovered what she was actually saying was "I hate indoor arenas" - she pins her ears and grumps in the indoor and acts like a sane, happy horse outside ;)).

many horses get arena sour, for obvious reasons-always worked and schooled there, ect

Horses should be ridden out, to help prevent that, but at the same time, a horse should not dictate terms.

I don't think this is normal arena sourness. She did it the first time she set foot in that arena ;). And no, she doesn't get to dictate terms, don't worry. She does what she's told. She just grumps about it.

So, update:

Crossing my fingers, the mare appears to be cured!

I believe Dancin's theory was correct and there was some kind of conformational issue with nerve placement. We switched her to a girth that's about half the width of the previous one and the problems went away rapidly after that.

So, note: No wide girths on this horse. Most horses prefer a slightly wider girth, but clearly she's got something physical going on that makes them uncomfortable for her.

I had to swap mine to a narrower contoured one, as it was making his elbows and surrounding area sore being too big behind it when he was moving. 😊 Hope it's a long term solution 😊

I really respect your tenacity in finding a solution instead of just giving up on her (something that happens a lot).

Well, there was no way we (and I wasn't working this alone) were giving up on her when this was/is almost her only fault - her other flaw is that we don't think her previous owner ever taught her to stand to be mounted, but we're close to having her good on that too. Now that she's back in shape, she's enjoying work again - and I mean, she perks up when she sees her tack, puts her head in the bridle. She listens well to her rider. Her first canter under saddle was hooves flailing in all directions, but now she's remembering how to do it it's slowly turning into something beautiful...she has a nice canter. She's affectionate without invading your personal space, whickers to everyone...she's just gorgeous. Which is how I figured it was something physical going on. She doesn't have any temperament flaws - she can be a little pushy/dominant, but settles down pretty quickly if you make it clear you aren't taking any crap.

Nice wrapper, too.

Now if we could just...we've decided we're hiding her companion behind the barn. He shed out...and right now the old guy has patches of winter coat, patches of summer coat and patches of no coat! He's a disgrace :P.