charliegirl

Runny Nose

Firsty happy new year everyone 😊

Ok ive had my 4 year old mare for a year now and she seems to have what I think are allergies. When i work her her nose runs clear, not every time but often. Sometimes she will get gunk coming out of one side which dries and goes crusty. She eats and is in fine health other than that. Any ideas? And how to treat? Thanks!

If she has hay, it could just be a dust reaction and it might be helped by wetting her hay and feeding it from the ground. If she really has allergies, I don't think it sounds severe enough to medicate or worry about.

We have a fair amount of dust around the farm which cant be stopped. So you think pretty much just get use to it? It doesnt seem bad just doesnt look to pretty when I try and show her haha!

I wouldn't medicate a four year old for allergies that don't have severe symptoms. Now if she starts coughing, that would be different. If her symptoms become more severe later and interfere with her general well being, then I would go to medication. You might want to consider a supplement for immune system support, but I have no first hand experience with them.

I've seen that slow feeders work better than "on the ground" for controlling dust. I've also used a plastic garden plant waterer to sprinkle on the hay nicely and will do a couple passes on the stall, if needed. Dusty arena? I would try this first, before looking to boost the immune system. Vitamins A and E are involved and on a hay only diet, the horse should get 10,000IU's and 1000IU's of each respectively. Otherwise, the horse manufactures his own vitamins and they are not needed for maintenance situations. Vitamin C is used only for sickness and has a short course, like Bute, because if you innundate a nutrient that is already manufactured by the horse, this ability will be lost to the horse over time. Trace minerals also create a healthy resilience as well. Copper and Zinc are star players for feet and for never-to-bleach again true coat color. Flax is another one that fights inflammation body wide and I've seen it clear up a horse's eyes. But since this is just a runny nose, I'd go after the dust in his environment and have faith. Hope this helps...

Thank you for that reply. There is a fair amount of dust in the air where we live and unfortunately Im not able to do anything about it. I dont have an arena and work her in the paddocks, something that Im sure wont be helping her situation at all.

I found two small sarcoids on her shoulder a couple of days ago. Folk tell me she is lacking in something. She has a lot of grass in her paddock and gets a small amount of lurcerne aslo