Sign in to follow this  
PinkTractor

Freezing Buckets, Question...

Things have changed and the horses will be moving home to my house the end of the week. Thankfully our weather hasn't been too bad - however we are prone to winter weather. Our stalls do not have electric to each - I only have one outlet and some lights. I don't care for heated buckets due to some fire cases I've seen. But, how do you keep your water from freezing?

Any of you use those insulated buckets?

I do have a floating heater for the outside tank - I plan on running a cord to that from our garage. So my concern right now is just the stalls.

Thank you!

Never liked heated buckets either, but you can get floaters that will prevent the buckets from freezing, and they are an excellent way to correct that issue. We use them here all winter long, and I guarantee you our winter temperatures here are far colder than what you will ever have to deal with. Insulation always helps, but it will never be sufficient unless you have some warmer venting happening(from the earth or heater).

The buckets I picked up are insulated - but also have a "floater". They have to push down on a disk like thing to get more water. Granted, we haven't had any cold weather since installed - but will get down in the 20's by the end of the week.

Edited by PinkTractor

My opinion? Not worth the money.

They worked good for the past week. But now we have colder temperatures with windchills in the negatives. Granted the barn is pretty buttoned up but it stills gets chilly. I'd say probably stays about 15-20* when it's that cold out. But, these buckets froze more than the regular bucket I have in my mares stall. I had to take a hammer to it this morning - yet my mares I could just poke through the ice. If you have a horse that constantly drinks, they'd be okay (as the floater is to keep from freezing if they're using it) - but otherwise not recommended.

Thanks for reporting back. I was seriously considering one. I won't bother now and just carry on adding warm water to the bucket. I did get an electric tea kettle so I can boil water to add at the barn and not have to carry it.

Edited by jubal

Jubal, not sure where you are at...but last week we had 20* temps outside and they were fine. (Granted, barn is usually 10* warmer). We have some finishing to do to our barn this summer to help keep heat for next winter. So maybe they'll become a little more handy then.

Until then, I too, just carry hot water down and add to it (after breaking ice).

It's been getting in the single digits at night here. And I only have one horse so the barn doesn't stay that warm. But he usually manages to empty most of his bucket overnight. He also has a habit of dunking his nose in water before he eats a bite of hay, so that helps keep it thawed. But I put an extra bucket half full in there too and that's usually frozen hard.

Once you judge how much each horse drinks overnight, you know how much water to leave in the bucket overnight. It helps a bit. Most horses will drink shortly after eating hard feed.

^^^ Except for my horse who spends half his night drinking and eating and the other half peeing and pooping. Honestly, I don't think he even stops to sleep.

I don't ever lurk over here, but I saw this and it reminded me of something. Dad and I built a water bucket insulator. We bolted two tires together and filled them with foam insulation and then put the 5 gallon bucket inside and filled the rest of the area with insulation so the bucket was held inside. My cousin had seen one and had us build it for her. I don't know how well it worked, but it did help.