Sign in to follow this  
katmerlin

What To Feed A Horse With Bad Teeth

Anyonr here have a horse with bad teeth? My new guy cant seem to get the hay down. Had his teeth done last week and they were bad. Back were sharp and has a wave. Hes quidding his hay so was wondering what does everyone feed for a horse whi cant have hay? Hes a 23yr qh. Ive got him on blue seal sentinel ls, hay stretcher, omega horseshine and trying the standlee hay. Alfalfa. Before his teeth done he could handle the hay. I know it can take a bit for them to relearn how to chew. He needs weight. Was thinking of adding soaked beet pulp.

Soaked hay cubes with senior pellets mixed in. Add some beet pulp if more is needed. I'm still feeding Elmer, with not too many teeth left.

Have you had his teeth rechecked if they were very bad? Not eating a week after, if he was eating fine before, would ring alarm bells to me. Does he seem his normal self? Or more lethargic than normal? Temperature normal? Any foul smell from his mouth? No injuries inside caused, or too much work done on them?

If his teeth were really bad he would have to kind of learn to chew again. I have also seen more than a couple vets cut the inside of the cheeks and that will for sure make one not eat well at all. Watch for any abnormal swelling, drooling, or foul smells.

if there had been bad hooks back there there might have been residual soreness that takes time to subside (what the dentist told me).