Sign in to follow this  
Rockabillygal

My Horses First Winter

My Boys arrived at our farm here in TN the last week of October From Central Florida. They are both Fl Bred and raised OTTBs that are in their mid to later teens, so I have been cautious with them this winter.

They have settled in beautifully here. I am so pleased. Ollie has been his cheerful hammy self from the moment he rushed off the van and Shadow has really warmed back up now that he is settled in. The boys new barefoot farrier really likes them and their feet are getting better faster than expected. The "farrier" in fl didn't do them any favors. The only issue so far has been sore feet when the ground freezes hard. Their feet shouldn't get as tender next winter.

We finnaly got snow here in TN and I was happily surprised to find the boys loved the snow!!!!

1618671_732697613533218_5646658698560286

12512803_732671716869141_205404707665755

Nice looking horses, that also look content, I wish you well with them. Keeping a close eye on them is a good idea, it is just preventive maintenance, could easily save you money in the long run. Best Wishes & Happy Trails. PD

The boys are getting electrolytes every evening and an extra morning dose when it's below freezing. They have free access to a big mineral block in the paddock and fresh water always. I also feed them warm soaked beet pulp in the evening. When it's below freezing they get it extra soupy and sometimes a morning portion of the beet pulp too.

They have also get as much hay as they can eat whether they are inside or out. Typically they stay out unless it's below 50 and storming or below freezing and the ground is frozen. They love their stalls when the weather is icky.

20160123_132026_zpso7twriy2.jpg