Sign in to follow this  
Whitney

Can Someone Identify This? Sarcoid Possibly?

I've had this made for several years and have noticed this goofball size growth the last couple months. I'm curious if someone can help me identify what it is. It is crusted and seems to have blood flow to it. Any help would be great. Thanks!post-2824-0-18423000-1454357525_thumb.jpegpost-2824-0-85965800-1454357545_thumb.jpegpost-2824-0-38190800-1454357653_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Whitney

my horse has a melanoma under his tailhead but it's smooth, no crust. my vet told me not to mess with it. hopefully someone else can chip in here.

You can get some Xxterra from your vet. You can have them cut or burned off. Smaller ones seem to be deleted with daily applications of Crest toothpaste. This one would be too big and angry for that method, I think.

My old horse had one on his eyelid. I had the vet remove it. It stayed gone for eighteen months , but then started growing slowly again and was there when he died shortly after.

There is a drug that's been used with success, Cisplatin, but it's a very hazardous drug to use, I've heard. Here's an article about a method you might get your vet to try.

http://americashorsedaily.com/sarcoids-in-horses/#.VrEBxnzQD3g

Thanks everyone. Is it ok to just leave it?

Hard to tell from here. Usually, if they aren't growing, bleeding, or weeping any fluid, you can leave them alone.

Been forever and a day since I've posted on HC.....

Latest treatment for sarcoids is essentially what's called an autologous "vaccine". The mass is confirmed as a sarcoid with needle aspirate or biopsy first and foremost. The mass is then surgically debulked as much as possible. The mass itself is then cut into small pieces and then flash frozen in liquid nitrogen. The mass chunks, once thawed, are then implanted surgically in the neck under the mane.

Since sarcoids are viral in nature, it essentially works the same as an injected vaccination. The body reacts against the foreign viral DNA, and the sarcoid is attacked by the immune system. I've personally done it a couple times and its worked brilliantly.

Oz,

Compared to things like cisplatin, extremely inexpensive. Initial biopsy to confirm diagnosis (obviously, you don't want to be doing this if its something other than a sarcoid), standing sedation, surgeon time, a bit of liquid nitrogen.....