whenever

Cat Agreession

I have 2 year old spayed female cat, this past 2 Weekso her agreession has gotten a lot stronger towards me.

Usually she will leap at my face if she's mad that I disciplined her (not allowing her to sit in front of the TV, getting into things, she has this weird fascination with one of my painting and always tries to touch it) or if I'm playing with her and she's all riled up. I've been using a spray bottle to keep her off the TV and away from things.

Last week I was in bed reading and she jumped into the bed and was looking at me with her i want to kill you face and leaped at my face, I threw my blanket up and she immediately ran away. I chased her down the hallway then went back to my bed, and right as I sat down she was back, I chased her away again...

This morning she was up on the TV so she got sprayed, then she was in the plant, so sprayed again. Then maybe 15 mins later she comes at me, no warning, just came at me. I sprayed her and sprayed her anytime she came near me. Then she seemed calm and jumped up on the couch beside me. She sat with me for maybe 10-15 minutes, then attacked my arm. I have a 2 day old tattoo on my arm and she scratched right across it. She's not just scratching me, she's sinking her claws in. I immediately got up to wash the tattoo, grabbed her after and trimmed her claws and am not letting her near me. She's calmed down now and is just chilling out on her cat tree.

What do I do? How do I stop her from attacking me? She only attacks me, not my roommate. I have a ton of toys for her, play with her and she's well fed. Is this just a female cat thing? I'm getting really tired of it! Help HC!

Stop playing with her for a while. She thinks you are her cat toy. Hold her, pet her, cuddle her; just don't PLAY with her. And yes, mine used to be the same way. I had to lock her in the bathroom at night the first 2 years of her life.

It sounds like she is trying to play with you like you are another cat. That is not acceptable and I feel you are taking appropriate steps to keep yourself safe and prevent her from getting riled. Just tossing out this question .... is it possible for you to get another cat (5-9mo old) to occupy her time and energy? I believe it would help take the focus off of you if she has to monitor and interact with another cat. Also, and this is kinda mean, she'll learn with the kitten what it feels like to be bitten and scratched until the young cat moderates its' actions.

One thing I do want to say; If you see her looking at you with the I-want-to-kill-you face?

Stop that before it can start. Distract her with a toy she can bite and wrestle with. If that doesn't work, get bigger than her. Get loud. Do not give her the opportunity to jump at you. Soak her if she tries to move aggressively towards you. Shoo her off with the spray bottle or toss a glass of water on her and shut her out of the room until she has adjusted her cattitude.