Sign in to follow this  
NaughtyNeigh2

Bitless......and I'm Quitting Horses.

I handed my notice in last week - no more horses and teaching for me from next month. Accepted a job offer as an equine insurance broker. Decided as I'm moving past my mid twenties, I need a career change unfortunately. So coblet is moving stables to another yard on full board/full livery as I'll be working mon-Fridays now. Be very weird not seeing him at work every day 😢 but he'll be well looked I know as my best friend is the sole groom at the new yard so she knows him well and likes riding him so that's a worry off my shoulders.

But back on track to the point of my post...bitless riding.

I've been riding coblet bitless lately and he's been going very well with it. Just a simple rope side pull. Much happier. I just wondered how many ride bitless permanently? Ie, schooling, jumping, etc. Are there any exclusions on showjumping or eventing rules for bitless bridles? (i know for dressage it would be a no). Or am I bonkers for considering it?

I have had a horse who preferred bit less. I tried every kind of bit, had her mouth checked by the vet and it wasn't until I hopped on her bareback to ride from the front of the house to the back with a halter/lead that the epiphany of how well she responded to the halter hit me. I bought a Paso Fino type of bit less bridle and Poquita did GREAT with it. I will try it with my new horse to see how he likes it as I do like riding that casually and he seems to have the laidback temperament for it.

Sorry to hear you have to get an adult job, NN. I remember coming to that sad conclusion too, but at a much older age.

Heidi, I thought your new horse was a mare?

I ride bitless and often with no bridle at all-naked.

But If you want to compete as you have done in the past, you'll have to conform with bit requirements. Gag.

Sorry to hear you have to get an adult job, NN. I remember coming to that sad conclusion too, but at a much older age.

Heidi, I thought your new horse was a mare?

LOL She is. Typo!

Do you know what the bit rulings are with showjumping or eventing rules? I know in the dressage phase bitless is banned, but I'm not sure on jumping? Fairly sure I've seen bitless showjumpers lately? Could be wrong though.

I ride tackless sometimes too. Not brilliantly, but we do the basics ok 😊

I did see a guy in 2014 riding in an A level international show jumping class in Vienna with a rope hackamore. His horse went beyootifully and he took second.

I would just be careful in choosing what type of "bitless" you go for. I've seen some mechanical hackamores that look nasty.

I work cows and ride on the cutting machine with a rope hackamore, but you're riding completely off your seat and legs with the hackamore only as a brief reminder for stops. that guy I saw in Vienna riding in an A level show jumpers class was also riding on a loose rein, and his horse made all of the completely overbitted competition look poorly educated.

I do use a bit for dressage work because I can't seem to get the "lift" and impulsion without the leverage from back to front. i'm told it can be done in a bosal but haven't tried it.

Yes I'm aware they can be just as harsh bitless as butted.

Mine is a bog standard basic rope sidepull (rope on the noseband covered with sheepskin and the rest of the bridle leather). I find I don't touch my reins at all riding in it, which is nice and why I'm liking it so far, as it really emphasizes my legs and seat.

Here's hoping it works out :) even if we just stick to trail riding in it if needs be.