Sign in to follow this  
NaughtyNeigh2

We Moved Yards.....and Had A New Experience

So I decided to ride him to our new yard about 8 miles away or so. There's an old railway track which goes from one county to the neighbouring county basically, and where I can join it by my old yard, I can follow it and it comes out a couple of miles away from my new yard....so I decided to make a ride of it and ride along there to move him :)

However, as railways tend to have, part of our journey included very dark old tunnels!

It was literally pitch black in there. Plus slightly flooded in some places where the floor is uneven etc.

So yes, definitely a new experience for me and coblet! He was a star and just plodded on through without any bother!

Then it comes out on the main highway for a mile - again, dude all the way. 👍

He's all settled in fine at the new yard. Chilled and happy in his new stable 😊

I've got a bit of time spare until my new job starts, so I'll adventure about and explore our new riding routes I think!

WP_20160301_13_33_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20160301_13_35_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20160301_13_41_49_Pro.jpg

WP_20160301_14_34_52_Pro.jpg

WP_20160301_12_38_14_Pro.jpg

I'm not sure I would have gone in that tunnel without a light. And I know my horse wouldn't. I wish there were rail trails around here.

How's he doing in the bitless rig?

I had a light on my phone but it didn't light much up apart from the steps right in front of us! I've been through the tunnels a lot on foot and bicycle as a kid so knew my way and footing....but never on a horse lol! He didn't mind and picked his way through no problem - think he has better eyesight than me lol.

He's loving it so far! No problems in it at all, we've started canter work again now too and done it on our own and in company with other horses, if anything he's more chilled and steady in it. No leaning, pulling, wonky steering etc. (not that he did any of the above but you never know till you take the bit out I guess!) seems to be making everything very clear and simple to him with no bit in. It's interesting!

Edited by NaughtyNeigh2

I think it could also be due to you paying more attention to your body language=clearer and more harmonious communication.

Interesting pics, and what a trooper he is!

Coblet is such a good sport! Glad he is settling in to his new home nicely, but I wouldn't have expected anything less!