Sign in to follow this  
Heidi n Q

Polyps In Cat Ear Canal *3/15 Surgery Update*

Malibu. My heart-cat oldie at about 14yrs old. She is about 2# smaller than when she was in her prime but is holding good flesh over her bones. Her fur is smooth, shiny and not dry, spiky or shedding. Her eyes are clear and bright. No stinky breath. All in all, she looks great and has adequate energy to run and play a couple times a week.

2 weeks ago she was diagnosed with polyps in her ears. 1 in her R ear and 3 (1 burst) in her L ear. I had been putting Panalog in her ear when it was hot/red with mild success. At one week check up she was still having issues with her ear getting red, hot and irritated, sometimes with blood. Vet gave Mallie an antibiotic shot and gave me a tube of Quadratop ointment to put in her L ear and I've been diligent with it. We have a 10dy check up on Tuesday but tonight she dug her ear bloody and was slinging blood all over the floor and walls. Her left hind foot, normally white, was pink and red. I sat with her for 30min to keep her quiet and prevent her from digging at it so it could clot. I've just fed everyone the canned meal and she is grooming and preparing for her post-dinner snooze.

I plan on calling the vet tomorrow to discus the treatment plan that involves removing the polyps and cauterizing them. I'm hoping we can set that up for Tuesday, or even Monday. In the meantime, I have some 5mg prednisone (steroid) and I'll ask if that may help Mallie and if I can give her some. I had hoped to avoid surgery but I need to keep Malibu's golden years comfortable.

Anyone with experience with this? Any suggestions?

Edited by Heidi n Q

I can't remember having seen polyps in a cat's ear, many other things, but not those.

Sounds like Malibu is getting the best of care. I don't think you can do more than what you're currently doing, sounds like you have the bases covered!

Good luck, I hope Malibu gets to feeling better soon.

Polyps are pretty common. Unfortunately, "debulking" them in the external canal is not curative, as they typically originate deep in the middle ear. Debulking will help with the recurring ear infections that happen as a result of their presence, but they will regrow until the "source" is eliminated. That typically involves a much, much more significant surgical procedure called a TECA-BO (total Ear canal Ablasion and Bulla Osteotomy).

I'll ask my vet about the teca-bo.

If we do the original surgery my vet first suggested, how long does it typically take for polyps to regrow? My greatest concern is with Mallie's comfort. I'll have to weigh the amount of discomfort from the procedure, recovery time and percentage/length of success.

At 14, I don't imagine Mallie has many years left with me. I'd love it if she made it to 20 like my childhood cat but I know that is unusual and unrealistic for me to expect. If it takes the polyps a while (1-3yrs) to regrow, I think that may cover her for the rest of her life.

Malibu became my heart-cat when I struggled to save her from Hepatic Lipidosis in 2006. At the time, I couldn't afford to hospitalize her with vet care so I took care of her at home. I kept her isolated, quiet, checked on her frequently so she would know she wasn't alone and force-fed her every 4hrs with special canned food to combat and reverse her fatty liver. During the ordeal, I believe she came to realize I was helping and fighting for her and she changed from a former feral who had become an aloof indoor/outdoor cat to MY cat who would sleep on or touching me every night. We have rarely slept apart since that time in 2006. I do hope my vet and I are able to help her again.

I missed the 14 year old part....I personally wouldn't put a 14-year old through a TECA-BO. *MAJOR* surgery.

I have a 12 yr old Himalayan, also ,coincidently, named Malibu. She has had chronic crummy ears for a while now, more on one side. Turns out she also has ear polyps at the root of it. They cleared up pretty well with antibiotics and Baytril ear drops. Now she is on Zymox drops everyday as prevention, but they still flare up. Baytril drops seems to work pretty well. I don't feel surgery is an option with her either, as they do grow back. It's going to be a constant battle.

Looks like it will be the simpler surgery for Malibu. Vet had a look in her ears today and while she was glad the infection had cleared up she was disappointed the polyps hadn't reduced their inflammation or ability to irritate each other due to proximity. She thinks this will be the best route to make Mallie the most comfortable. I hope she's right. I don't want Mallie to permanantly go through what she's been going through for the past couple weeks.

My vet did the simple surgery this morning and they called to let me know Mallie is doing well and can go home late this afternoon.

Pre-surgery blood test showed she has some kidney disease and a UTI so she'll be given a Convenia shot and I'll monitor at home. Her ear will be sore for a few days and vet wants me to put the Quadratop ointment in once a day until she no longer looks uncomfortable. Re-check ear and urine in 10dys.

I hope she recovers well. Post an update if you would. I'd like to see how it holds up and if it would be an option for my Malibu. It's just such a constant fight with ear drops now..

I hear ya about the fuss! We'll also be doing another blood test in 10dys and maybe another in 2mo to see where her kidneys are at. Vet and I are hoping the UTI skewed the numbers ... but I have noticed her drinking a bit more than usual so I suspect the numbers aren't that far off.

I'll keep everyone updated as she's seen by the vet.

My Button is the same age, so I know how you feel. She's my orphan bottle baby too.

*sigh* I lost my bottle baby in 2008 when he was 12yrs old. It is so hard to lose them, but I do my best to do right by them. That's all we can do.

She is actually feeling GREAT! Very little head shaking, no pawing at her ears, wants to be petted and will rub her head on my hand/leg/arm. This afternoon I even caught her playing with a cat toy in the living room. She's doing wonderful and I am very glad I did the surgery to help her feel more comfortable.