Sign in to follow this  
possum7168

Need Colostrum, Any Ideas Where To Get It From?

My sister has a foal due in the next few days with a mare that is foundering. The mare might not be able to nurse. Where can she order colostrum if she needs it?

Check with all your local vets and any large horse farms. Many of them keep some frozen for emergencies. I used to. Barring that, you can milk enough out of the mare, even if she is down. Even if she dies, if you do it immediately.

In your neck of the woods (provided that Louisiana is correct), contact Hagyard's http://www.hagyardpharmacy.com/colostrum-bank-i-23.html

Google Mare Colostrum banks for other sources. Whatever you do, do NOT rely on commercial "colostrum gel" products if at all possible. They are bovine in origin and while they will provide immunoglobulin, they are not disease specific or particularly protective in the least. If in a pinch with no colostrum available, plasma transfusion (available commercially, frozen) is your next best bet. Oral Seramune is another option, but the amount of immunoglobulin provided is quite small. Nice as a "top off", but shouldn't be a primary source.