Sign in to follow this  
nick

Quadrille Routines And Music

12 boarders at our barn have expressed a strong interest in quadrille riding. since i'm the only one who has had (a very little bit) of experience seems I've been tapped to look into potential routines and music.

my plan is to start everyone out just getting the horses forward, forward, forward and learning to rate before even attempting anything resembling a routine. once that's accomplished I plan to have them ride willy nilly in one half of the arena at the trot in circles, constantly changing direction to hopefully improve everyone's use of their peripheral vision and the horses learning to relax what what seems like chaos. I did a lot of this when we still were doing some cow work, because then it is important that a horse stays relaxed even though it gets really chaotic.

music is a big subject when it comes to this kind of riding and sets the mood and tone for both riders and horses. this is a group of women of varying riding capabilities, so i'm not looking for musical pieces that require gaits like piaffe or passage--more like medium trot and canter and maybe even extended canter at some point.

if any one has tips on quadrille riding or music i'd love to hear them and thanks in advance!

Above is the link to the RCMP musical ride.

I did have a post , where I wanted to add it, but it disappeared in the meantime!

I took Charlie to a drill team ride, a few weeks ago, not because I wish to ride drill team, but I thought it would be a great opportunity to teach her to accept/relax working close to other horses, and having them come up in opposite direction, passing her. As some might know, she has had an issue with other horses coming up on her, ever since having been run into hard, during a warmup

She is getting much better, and I was quite happy on our ride that day!

Anyway, seems when passing, as across center, the rule is you past left shoulder to left shoulder. I would stick tot he walk and trot for now!

Make sure their are no kickers in that group!

thank you for that post! beautifully choreographed, but what I really liked about it was that, with the exception of the occasional switching tail, all the horses looked ultra relaxed. that's what my first goal is, and yes we will be staying at the walk and troll until all the horses are relaxed.

I am also participating in a small ladies drill team at our western barn - we have about 6-10 riders of all abilities. The biggest challenge is getting the horses used to working in close proximity. We spend lots of time riding 3 abreast at the walk and trot to help the horses relax into it. Riding straight into each other, passing left shoulder to left shoulder, can also be challenging for some horses. It takes a lot of patience and cooperation. I love it, but my horse is not loving it, but he is getting used to it. I find he has the patience to deal with it for 30-40 minutes and then he is just 'done' with the close quarters, we work through it, but it gets more challenging. I would suggest keeping sessions shorter rather than longer.

we do a couple of warm up excersises to get the horses moving forward and relaxed. one is "leap frog" all horses in one line at the trot (or canter depending on riding ability). trot one lap and then the last horse passes on the inside to go to the front, next horse ditto, until the everybody has had a turn or several turns. this teaches the horses that it's okay for other horses to pass, because at some point it'll be their turn to go to the front.

the other thing we do which has proven very helpful is to have everyone (first at the walk and then the trot) ride willy nilly in a limited area through and around one another, no plan but constant turns right or left. this teaches the rider to be cognizant of where everybody is relative to their position and gets the horses really listening to your leg and get soft. the challenge is to not break gait, rather gracefully yield in any direction. the advantage of this is the horses start to get busy paying attention to where everyone else is and listening to rider's instruction. I think horses get irritated primarily when it's too monotonous and this exercise is anything but. 5-10 minutes of this is enough but the goal is to see relaxation.

we're riding to "lollipop", "low rider", "Julia", and "it's a brand new day" while learning new figures. we're a ways off from having an actual routine but are starting to see how it can and will all come together (hopefully this year haha). we're having a lot of fun it the meantime!

Edited by nick

Those are good exercises! We rode yesterday, small group of just 5 of us, and something finally clicked - the horses all tolerated each other well, we rode 5 abreast and stirrup to stirrup, did some close crossing left shoulder to left shoulder and a pretty good wagon wheel (not sure what this is really called, it's where the middle rider pivots as all others ride in a circle around with the outside riders having to go faster, inside slower so you all stay in a line as you circle.)

Well, the practice was good, but the cool part was after, four of us walked our horses down the wide driveway to relax, and before we knew it, they were all lined up four abreast and when our drill team leader stopped, so did we all in a row - our horses all naturally fell into drill team mode, that was pretty cool!

We aren't riding to music yet, but the goal is to put these pieces together to music for about a 5 minute routine that we will do in July.

Keep me posted on your progress!