Sign in to follow this  
DancinDreaminKid

Allergic To Ticks?

Recommended Posts

We recently bought a horse to resell. He had a slight occasional cough. I wormed him for lungworms and he basically stopped coughing for a week, but then started coughing again. He seems to cough mostly during rainy weather and is better in sunny weather. Does anyone think that it could be allergy related?

Back to the topic of ticks. About 5 days ago he presented with a swollen area under his left "shoulder" where his leg is attached to his body. On closer inspection he had a multitude of small sores with scabs on them, in that area and down his legs. Later he had swelling on the inside of his back legs and yesterday on his sheath. I finally noticed that all the sores were on his lower extremities and I began to wonder if he was allergic to ticks. I have had horses swell at a tick bite site and have hard nodules where they had been bit by ticks, but I have never had one that had multitudes of sores from ticks and large swollen areas.

I have been putting Furazone on his sores and giving him Penicillin shots every day (cause all his sores made me think he had an infection). I just looked up allergic reactions to ticks on the internet yesterday and I think that is what it is. I put Permethrin on him and all the other horses this morning. I hope that cures my problem.

Has anyone ever had this bad a reaction to ticks?

Edited by DancinDreaminKid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a couple horses that would do that. Regular antibiotic ointment works much better than the furazone, along with benadryl gel. As for the coughing, it could be mold related, since its in damp weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oz, he is much better now. About all of the sores are gone. Still has some rough skin in places but overall is doing much, much better. I read online of a lady that talked about her horse having the same thing and she said it had all the same symptoms he did and that after about a week they all went away. I wonder if they build up antibodies? Hope he doesn't get another load of ticks and do it again! Gah! He shouldn't though since I put the permethrin on everyone, they all have only dead ticks.

The weird coughing is gone again too....at least for the moment. Can't really figure that one out! He may go a week and not cough at all and then have a day where he coughs 3 or 4 times while I am in the barnlot. He never has had a runny nose or anything to make me think that he is sick.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this