Zoe84

Riding With A Broken Big Toe

I shattered my big toe in several places about a month ago & have only just started walking without crutches with a supportive type shoe. I rode bareback today for the first time since then (man it felt good!) but wondering if people have had similar experiences and how long before you rode with stirrups? It's funny how you notice little things when you damage a part of your body; like I didn't realise how much I put my heels down riding bareback to balance, which is excruciating with my toe the way it is. And getting off landing on the right foot!

oh dear. do you have it taped? I've broken my big toe and my ankle (both on the right), and the toe took twice as long to heal as the ankle!! what is critical is the kind of boots/shoes you're wearing, and if I were you i'd ride just letting my feet hang.

Thanks Nick nope not taped, not anything. Do you have any repercussions re. your ankle? My friend has a bad ankle at the moment but says she would prefer that over a toe. You just don't realise how much you rely on it...

the surgeon who put my ankle back together (simple, clean break) botched it by putting the titanium plate in slightly askew and one of the screws was too long. this was the "surgeon to the professional soccer players" in Germany, so I thought I was in good hands. local doctor two months later took new xrays and promptly took the plate and screws out, and I was good to go immediately.

I went to the hospital with my toe and they taped it to its neighbor. I found it gave it some much needed stability and would recommend it to facilitate healing and reduce pain. easy procedure--takes about five seconds in the morning and it helps a lot. and yes we depend on our toes for a lot of things, and one of the biggies is balance. get well soon!

I have been nursing a knee injury for about 6 months, it's getting better now, but I have my horse walk me over to the mounting block to dismount so that I won't jar the knee when I land on my feet. He's gotten so used to it that he now heads over there automatically when we are done!

It used to hurt a lot when I first put my foot in the stirrup and put pressure on it, and I avoided posting for a long time, but now I hardly feel any pain and can post - which I mostly do from my seat, but the knee is involved.

Hope you heal quickly! I think taping would help - especially if you know anyone who can use kinesiology tape - that stuff is miraculous for helping with pain due to injury, it gives just enough support to ease the pain in many cases.

Thanks guys, yes Nick I am constantly amazed at people who are meant to be the 'best'! Glad you got it sorted in the end! Thanks Magic, thankfully my lovely 17.2hh gelding is used to standing perfect in line with the tail gate of the ute for me to jump on, I think I will stick to bareback for a while yet. I use the kinesiology tape on the horses in conjunction with my massage so I'll give it a go on my foot! Great idea. 👍🏼 thanks guys, will keep you posted. (No pun intended)

I broke my big toe, plus destroyed the toenail, which came off, thus anything touching that exposed nailess toe was very painful. The break itself was less of a problem, and I could not wear the usual boot they give you, that leave the toe exposed

I thus found a splint type bandaid to put over the end of my toe, and then rode with wide fitting rubber boots. I think it was the week before a show, that I first dared to try to put on my riding boots!

Ugh Smilie that sounds awful. I still have the nail on, it's black & wobbly but I'm not looking forward to it coming off now. I tried taping my foot on the weekend but it didn't really help; I trimmed the horses on the weekend which I don't think really helped either :(

google broken toe taping. sounds like you might have done too much--it's a really simple tape job in one direction, not too loose not too tight, just right haha. I guess my concern would be if you don't tape it correctly you might have a wonky shaped big toe after if you just leave it on it's own. that's another can of worms.