Sign in to follow this  
Foxtrotter14

Aural Plaques And Xxterra

Hey guys, I have a client's horse on consignment with me who has a bad case of aural plaque in his left ear. It has developed since they have owned him and has caused him to become headshy and impossible to pull the bridle or halter over his ears. I have obtained a tub of XxTerra herbal paste. I have used it before on a sarcoid before on a leg with tremendous success. However while reseaching about applying to the ears, I have heard some people state the application and burn of the medication have made horses more head shy than before. Anyone have experience with this?

I would like to go ahead and clear up the issue to make marketing a little easier. Not just for appearances but also the halter/bridle removal issue.

Thoughts? Experiences? Thank you.

I never had much luck with them going and staying away and can't imagine it too pleasant treatment to get rid of.

my old pony would be terribly head shy for a few days if I didn't do the bridle up round his head (literally make it up on his head so no ear folding).

I purchased a clip on bridle which made it much easier and quicker to make up and put on him.

long as I didn't fold his ears putting tack on, he didn't become headshy in general - he just realised I wasn't going to fold his ears dealing with him

never heard of XxTerra or "aural plaque". is that skin cancer related?

Nick... Aural Plaque are raised white bumps that occur on the inside of a horses ear. They are spread by black biting flies. Also called aural papilloma. These are often benign, and is a wart causing virus.

Xxterra is a herbal Rx medication cream.

I have seen aural plaque build up at the base of a horses ears that made them deaf. It can be extremely painful.

If you want a really good way to make a horse head shy, use Xterra in the ears. Aural plaques are viral papillomas and are completely benign, although can become painful and certainly not very cosmetic.

Xxterra, in my experience is PAINFUL during treatment and having used it for sarcoids, the cosmetic appearance can be lacking. There's a lot of discussion about using Aldara cream for both sarcoids and aural plaques. Still get inflammation, but better results. If you need to go a cheaper route, sedated debridement and topical wart preparations may be the better choice.

You might try a product called Wartsof. It worked for some.

If you want a really good way to make a horse head shy, use Xterra in the ears. Aural plaques are viral papillomas and are completely benign, although can become painful and certainly not very cosmetic.

Xxterra, in my experience is PAINFUL during treatment and having used it for sarcoids, the cosmetic appearance can be lacking. There's a lot of discussion about using Aldara cream for both sarcoids and aural plaques. Still get inflammation, but better results. If you need to go a cheaper route, sedated debridement and topical wart preparations may be the better choice.

Thanks CVM

I don.t know if that is what my palomino/paint had or not, but he had scabby white bumps in his ears and was headshy of the ears. It could be the same thing because within 6 months of the time that I bought him, he developed warts.....and he was 12 years old at the time!

I believe I put Fura-Zone on him. He healed up and is doing fine. No more ear trouble.

Fura-zone - (Nitrofurazone) A topical antibacterial dressing for the treatment of surface infections, burns, wounds and cutaneous ulcers. Note - use gloves - product is carcinogenic to people.