nick

New York Vets Lobby To Ban Declawing Of Cats

130 New York state vets are lobbying together with activists to make the practice of declawing cats illegal, and the bill is pending.  I read about the procedure, and it's more like amputation than "having your nails clipped".

the New York State Veterinarian Medical Society is against it saying that declawing cats saves many from euthanization due to destructive behavior.

the sponsoring legislator says that many vets have told her that the procedure is almost always for the convenience of the owner who cites "nice and expensive furniture and drapes" that they don't want ruined.  her response?  "don't get a cat".

I've only had one cat in my life who left when I did in the morning and came home in the evening when I did too, frequently prowling around waiting for me.  he'd sleep or sit on my chest nose to nose and purr, but he didn't run around clawing things up.   

for those in the cat fancy,  what's your response to this?

If vets are against something that they can charge big bucks for, then they must really believe it's cruel. I had a cat declawed once. It's the only way my apartment complex would allow cats. I don't see that it was close to amputation and the cat didn't seem to be hindered by it in any way. But I wouldn't do it again. Cats can be trained and I like my cat better than the chair he insisted on scratching to get my attention.

It is, just like amputation.....it's exactly what it is.

Think of it as cutting off the first knuckles of each finger, as the instrument cuts down, you can hear the, crunch, as it goes through the bone/cartilage.

It isn't just a simple nail trim, it's surgery, done under anesthesia and, cats are given heavy duty pain meds after.

I was a vet/surgical tech for many years, I assisted with this procedure, the sound of that, crunch, you never forget, or, the way the cat looks afterwards, because the pain meds don't always work completely, so, the cat meows pitifully and, shakes it's paws, flinging blood all over the cage.

Sure, there's pain following any surgery, but, declawing is one that isn't necessary. If your apartment complex only allows declawed cats, find another, or, don't get the cat.

Just my opinion, having been on the inside.

ETA....some cats do handle it better than others, but, the fact still remains, it's amputation of the digit.

Edited by equicrzy

so cats that have been declawed are confined to the house/apartment correct?  I can't imagine letting a cat roam around outside if it had no means of scampering up a tree to escape a dog or at least take a swipe to defend itself.    doesn't sound like much fun. 

I do understand it is amputation. I have also worked in a vets office. Most surgeries are painful, we all know that.

That said, both of my cats that I've owned in the past 17 years were declawed. The first cat was done at 3 months old. He was neutered and declawed . He lived until he was 14. There was no keeping that cat insude. He would hide under a chair and bolt whenever the door was opened. He was a mighty hunter and frequently brought home mices, snakes and birds. Not having front claws did not deter him in any way.

After Levi died, I never thought I'd own another cat. And then in October a friends Aunt offered me the most beautiful calico kitten. I tried to refuse but her sweet face called to me. I had a long conversation with my vet, and due to my living arrangements, decided to go ahead and declaw Prada. I took very good care of her after the surgery, paid for an extra day at the vets to make sure she was monitored closely, used the paper litter 2 months longer than recommended. Made sure she got all the after care I could provide. She currently shows no I'll effects of being declawed. She fights with the dogs, runs, jumps, climbs.

Praying that she lives to a ripe old age, and that she will be the last cat I ever own.

Edited by Eskielvr

Its right up there with chopping the ears and tails off puppies. Or soreing and breaking/setting tails on horses. If you wouldn't want it done to YOU, don't do it to your pet.

Edited by ozland

And training, if you can be bothered. My cat is 15, my furniture a little older. Cat has all her claws and there are no marks on the furniture.

I would not declaw a cat, ever. Our cat lokes to scratch on one chair. I have several appropriate places for her to use, but she loves that chair. So I covered all the corners with double sided duct tape. Looks ugly, but she leaves it alone now. I also keep her nails short and a squirt bottle handy.

If you don't understand how horrible it is, just go watch it done. Maybe THEN you will understand.  Hey skjotta! Yes, I do believe this country is much in need of some civilization. Getting scary around here.

I could not declaw a cat.  I do have a declawed one, though.  He was declawed before he came to us and I see how he falls off the 6' tall cat tree when playing because he doesn't have claws to catch/hold himself up there.  My mother also has a declawed cat and that cat's bathroom habits are weird; she won't step into the litter.  She backs up to the box and goes over the edge into the litter.  Usually.  

Hi Oz! I sent hubby and kids to Iceland for 3 weeks and I am bored out of this world... so í came here, but this place seems dead now...

Í Have never seen a declawed cat, but it sounds just terrible. Albus uses hos claws for everything and pest control is a very important job of his.

Please don't be like everyone else who says its dead here, then won't stick around and help get it going again. That is WHY its dead here.

I've heard that it can have long term affects on cats due to a change in how they walk from missing the front portion of their toes.  I'm not sure how accurate that is though?  In general, if it is something that the animal USES, I would think long and hard about removing it. 

We have a fully clawed indoor only cat.  She has a scratching thingy that she uses with enthusiasm.  She also scratches at the side of the door.  She's done some damage to the little wood protective strip that separates the center of the patio doors.  We chase her off it, but it really wouldn't be that hard to replace.  My parents have a 2X4 tacked up at the corner where their cats like to scratch... they just replace it every could of years. 

My cat has a sissal rug on the floor that she LOVES, especially since she can get wild and roll it up.

Please don't be like everyone else who says its dead here, then won't stick around and help get it going again. That is WHY its dead here.

I don't know. I don't like the things I am reading here now. I get the feeling that the few of you who are left are a bit sick and tired of each other ????????

I went by the gaited board but it was several months since the last post...

No. just of one person who likes to tell us how we need to think. :drool:

Hi Skjotta. Please stick around!

I had one cat declawed the vet said it was good I did she had infection at the base of them . now we have two cats both have claws and the only one with scratches is Conner because his cat sleeps on his head ( yes the cat is weird ) and she will scratch him if he sits up to fast . in the morning she licks his head/ hair . Conner thinks its funny.

My SIL got a cat and I asked her not to get her declawed. Explained why. She did it anyway. Said, oh, I've had it done before. She'll be fine. SMH

I would never get a cat declawed. I have what was once a very nice $3,000 living room set. And it is pleather/leathery material on the back, arms and sides. It is now covered in thousands of holes from my cats just benign rambunctious and running around jumping and playing. I have one fat pudgy sweet soft kitty who enjoys clawing the edges. She gets reprimanded, and her sassy self doesn't care.

And honestly, I don't care that much either. I learned I made a very bad purchase due to the choice of materials. My cats are worth more to me then the looks of my couch. Next time, I will purchase something that is much less likely to show proof of my cats amazing ninja and gymnastic skills.

Eta: my aunt had a very sweet Siamese male she had declawed. She eventually booted him out for being to talkative. He could still climb trees like a pro! Surprised the heck out of me. I snatched him up and found him a slightly better home, where he constantly stole his owners lettuce from salads!

Edited by horsecrazybvh

My older barn can had to have one toe amputated when she shattered the last, or second to last, joint.  She does just fine when the weather is warm but I notice her being careful about jumping down when it is cold out.

We just bought more living room furniture to go along with our current pieces (which are 15yrs old) and they blend nicely.  I deliberately chose a mission style with fabric.  The wood sides/arms prevent scratching and the cushions are easy to sticky roll or brush off.  And if the fabric ever gets ratty, I can recover the cushions myself.

I declawed one cat when I was young and she was already an adult and I had to do it to live in a rental. Never again. She was sensitive footed for months and months. I also observed strange litter behaviors and I can tell she suffered. With products like this available for pennies. Never ever again. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/272292625589?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Edited by Trinity

I have 3 cats. All are indoor/outdoor at their discretion. One came to me declawed, and another is missing a back leg. So neither scratch on anything but the ugly carpet that we're taking out anyways. The third likes scratching on the couch, chair, and mattress...so I use nail caps. Cheap and easy. I just can't imagine aputating his little toes. It's very obvious when one comes off, you can hear it when he starts to scratch on something. It takes about 30 seconds to go get the kit, clip the nail, put some glue in it, and stick it on. It completely baffles me that people don't just do this. Yes, the name brand Soft Paws are expensive, but inexpensive off brand ones on EBay or Amazon work just as well.

I hope eventually it is banned by law. But I've already heard of vets in my state that refuse to do it.