Sign in to follow this  
DawnC

Evil Nasty Flies

My 2 both have sensitive skin in very different ways.  Every summer I have a fight on my hands.  The little guy, the Welsh, rubs himself raw scratch from the gnats and little bugs.  The big girl, Thbd, gets horrible welts where anything bigger bites her.  They were both hiding in the barn yesterday afternoon because I didn't get them sprayed well enough.  The weather has been VERY bug friendly so far, so I haven't been able to keep them completely pest free at all.

I use drops (which really do help) and then supplement it with fly sprays.  It's just been a rough few weeks for them recently.  Poor guys.

Want some of my thumb-sized deerflies to go with the rest? *I* have welts from those buggers!

Don't worry Oz.  I already have some.  No need for you to send any of yours.  They make her bleed and she grows back little white patches where they bite her.  Poor girl.

This is the first year, I can remember, deer flies were a problem. I can't keep up with the spraying, I'm doing it every day and, running out of spray very quickly!

The homemade concoction of vinegar and Dawn, actually works well.

I'm trying something new (to me) am just waiting for it to arrive via UPS. It's made by...... Espana all natural products..... supposed to keep ALL flying insects away.

Equi - I used the homemade version earlier this year as I didn't have any. It seemed to work but didn't last long. I think the stink wore off, lol.

I bought a spray bottle of "Bug Off" at TSC - it's purple and seemed to work well. I need to buy more or something as I am just about out. They're AWFUL this year! I even have welts from horse flies when I mowed the other day.

Will look at your link, Oz, thanks.

I have to go the, all natural route, my mare is allergic to the ones with chemicals and, since I don't want the hassle of using two different kinds and, since the natural stuff works pretty good, I just stick with that.

How many more months of bug season? Haha....

Equi - I ran out of my spray so I mixed another batch of the stuff up. I added more vinegar and soap and diluted it less. Seems to work much better!

My, all natural, stuff, doesn't work all that well, flied were landing on Sam as I was spraying him, they didn't seem to mind that they were getting sprayed, too.

The directions say to, "mist" the horse.....HA! I had to drench them!

The homemade stuff is looking better and better.

The deer flies are especially bad this year - the little ones and the really big ones.  We use the Ultra-shield in the black bottle - seems to work better than the others we have tried.