Sign in to follow this  
DawnC

Blm (Not Bureau Of Land Managment) And Dressing Like A 'thug'

Obviously there has been a lot of coverage on the news and of course on Social Media in regards to the BLM movement.  I saw one comment/conversation that I thought might make for decent debate fodder.

In a nut shell, it was a picture of a group of black men standing in front of a line of police officers providing a protective barrier for the police.  Someone commented that they all looked like good, upstanding young men, and they were all dressed well, and none of them was dressed like a 'thug'.

Of course that comment brought some blow-back, with folks asking what dressing like a 'thug' looked like, and why should it matter how the person was dressed or not.  A person is a person regardless of what they are wearing, and we shouldn't make snap judgments based on if a guy is wearing a pressed shirt and khakis as opposed to loose shorts and a T-shirt.

Should a person adjust their personal preference in clothing style to make themselves appear differently (safer??) to the police?   Is that fair and reasonable to expect?

Depends. So much of the "thug" wear is gang related that its hard to NOT judge for it.

I don't think "dressing safer" is going to help them.  They need to "behave safer" ... as in, immediately respecting the authority and complying to their directives with no mouthing off.  

If you act like a thug, you will be treated like a thug.  If you act respectful, you will be treated respectfully.

I have to agree, often times you'll be judged quicker by your conduct especially speech than you will by what you are wearing.  Put another way, your poor conduct & poor speech, may give people the impression you are a thug. But Heidi nailed it, with her post.  PD 

I don't think "dressing safer" is going to help them.  They need to "behave safer" ... as in, immediately respecting the authority and complying to their directives with no mouthing off.  

If you act like a thug, you will be treated like a thug.  If you act respectful, you will be treated respectfully.

have to agree with Heidi as well.. "complying with directives with NO mouthing off" is what is getting them killed. Its why most People get shot when not complying NO MATTER WHAT COLOR their skin is.  

I don't like the racist remarks and targeting of police.. it has spewed over to killing cops of ANY COLOR now. Its promoting hate crimes. Whats next?

I asked a bimbo who was spouting off about how BLM and we all need to embrace it. I say why should only blm? ALL LIVES MATTER. She replied that yeah well black lives need to matter too. My reply was if ALL lives mattered color wouldn't be a factor. She never replied. I'm so over the blm movement I just want to scream. All they've become is a domestic terrorist group who feel they should be above the law. I get not all of them are like that but God a good part are.

I was behind blm until they started targeting police! Then I was furious. Why kill to prove a point??

I do too Oz. I have many friends that are in law enforcement. I worry about them alot.

From what I have read the are now going after firefighters now too. As if LO and firefighters don't already risk their lives enough. Makes me worry even more for my hubby and his FF friends and the LOs that he/we know.

ALL LIVES MATTER! I don't care what color you are bad people come in all colors the same for good people. Kinda gives New mean to the phrase " a good horse is never a bad color " huh?