Sign in to follow this  
skjotta

Gun Control And Children.

So now my news feed on fb is overflowing with the "now are they going to ban trucks?"

Honestly, I find it respect less to the people who are suffering right now. To make a point out of other people's tragedy like that.

I get it, if someone wants to kill someone they are going to find a way, but that isn't what gun control is about stopping.

We keep getting news stories here. Stories about children getting hold of loaded weapons and becoming killers. Killing their parent, sibling or friend without understanding what they are doing.

That has never happened here.

Here, a gun is considered dangerous. If you want one you will have to jump through hoops. If you are a law abiding citizen and pass a test, you can have all the guns you want, after you jump through the hoops, that is.

We also have strict laws about how you may keep/store/carry the gun. Children should never be able to get to a gun, period.

Do you agree that a restrictive form of gun control could stop these accidents from happening?

https://everytownresearch.org/reports/innocents_lost/

Its far less a "gun control" problem than a "child control" problem. Far too many parents here are simply not invested in raising and teaching their children, especially things like respect and manners. To answer your final question; no. It wouldn't stop anything.

Edited by ozland

Everyone agrees that we should put sharp knives, scissors and poisonous detergents away from children, so why not guns?

I think more restrictive control does have the potential to reduce the type of incidents you are referencing... if it included significant training and reinforcement of safety and accountability. 

Someone who has had to take hours of training, and jump through hoops to procure an item often times takes better care of it than something that is easily obtained.  There is a reason people ask for 're-homing' fees for animals.  Oftentimes (not always) they aren't necessarily wanting to make a buck, but they want to be sure that the purchasers are serious about ownership.  It was a more significant application process for me to get my DOG than it is to get a gun (the breeder was not kidding about making sure her pups when to well prepared homes).  I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turns out she did a background check on me.

I think this holds true for MANY things.  They more difficult it is to obtain, the higher the 'intrinsic' value, and therefore is better cared for and looked after. 

Along that vein, I would be interested in knowing the average cost of the guns involved in all of these childrens shootings.   How many of them were priceless family heirlooms or cost the purchaser in excess of $1K?  I bet not many... because THOSE were likely kept locked up safe away from where kids could mess with them.   Just a guess.   Like I said, I would be curious to know.

We have idiots who leave their kids to die in a hot car.

Do you really think a new law on guns will help?

Common sense would save thousands of kids lives every year, not just with guns but also with hundreds of things they die from, but sadly common sense is a lost art for so many.

Everyone agrees that we should put sharp knives, scissors and poisonous detergents away from children, so why not guns?

Of COURSE they should be put away from children. I never disagreed with that. However, they ALSO need a good upbringing to teach them to value all life, not just their own. Putting them away when children are small won't stop them from having them when they are older and using them to kill.

I grew up around guns learned to shoot a bb gun first . I think that we have all these kids playing video games killing fake people instead of going out and teaching our kids that guns can kill and aren't something to be played with. Conner is learning to shoot my old bb gun and learning gun safety.

That being said our gun were always in a gun safe or in use.

Many good points brought to this topic, Not big fan of strict gun control, make the gun laws to strict, & you increase the black-market value sale of them. I do believe there are people that shouldn't have guns, I think if parents are going to own guns, then they bare the responsibility to teach their children how to handle them properly , & keep them locked up when not in use. I believe the majority of gun owners do that very thing, but it only takes a couple folks to mess up a good thing.  PD

But you have no issues with kinder eggs being banned for children's safety?

If you own a kinder egg the government can take it but you can leave a loaded gun on the kitchen counter and it is an accident if your child shoots another?

If you own a kinder egg the government can take it but you can leave a loaded gun on the kitchen counter and it is an accident if your child shoots another?

No one has asked me about banning Kinder Eggs......

What about parents who leave a Knife on the Kitchen Counter and a kid kills another??

What about parents who leave poison on the kitchen Counter and a kid drinks it or gives it to another to drink and they die?

I could go on and on with silly examples like yours...

You cannot legislate against stupidity.. hello, anyone home?  :rotf:

Edited by Southern Trails

You can't beat the US government for rampant stupid. They haven't banned peanuts yet either.

The ban on Kinder Surprise was made in 1997 based on a 1938 FDA Act which states "... a confectionery product with a non-nutritive object, partially or totally embedded within it, cannot be sold within the United States, unless the FDA issues a regulation that the non-nutritive object has functional value."  

Essentially, the 1938 Act bans "the sale of any candy that has embedded in it a toy or trinket."  

^^^Wikipedia

We have many toys and other items with small parts that pose choking hazards however those warnings are clearly labeled on the outside of the container for parents to heed.  From what I understand, the choking hazard warning is on a small slip of paper *inside* the egg.  Unless parents have Superman's ability to see through things they can't read this warning and I don't know any young children who pause to inspect candy before it goes in their mouth.

I'm sure there are other things with small parts that classify as hazardous to children but this particular candy certainly falls under the 1938 ban on toys concealed in candy.

I do believe our culture is more free and relaxed with guns.  Personally, I would prefer to see people (owners and non-owners) be more responsible with them.  Require safety training, instill safe handling practices and secure storage options.  Unless a government office like DMV is created to handle safety training certificates I don't see change happening for those who are currently irresponsible with their firearms and I certainly don't expect the criminal element to change anything about what they do.  I would venture to say that most people are conscientious about their guns and keep them well controlled and supervised when removed from storage.

Having worked for two Sheriff Offices, one in a sprawling county with a majority of the population living remotely from their neighbors, I would not like to see guns taken from our citizens because when the need arises and threat is imminent, that need is immediate.

It happened  here in my area last week

One never underestimate a child, they are smart, they watch, listen .....

yes there are  gun safety lessons, with an age limit, other wise it is up to the parents to teach thier young children about guns/safety...It is the parents responsibility to  Make sure the gun is unloaded, put in the case, lock the case. Make sure the child isn't  around,  unaware of where the key is hidden, change location  at different times. Lock the bullets in a  different place as well  keep  them separate  from the gun.

In this case there are  unanswered questions, the one question is was the gun loaded, ? It was never mentioned if  the  child found the bullets,  loaded the gun.

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2016/07/family_of_7-year-old_who_fatal.html

ALMA, MI — A two-story house with white siding and a white truck in the driveway on Penrith near Hampton in Alma showed no activity about noon Friday, July 8.

The street was quiet as well. No neighbors were outside, and those who were went back inside when media crews arrived.

Just a few hours earlier, police, medical crews, and Michigan State Police Crime Laboratory personnel were outside of the white house at 126 Penrith that was surrounded by police tape.

Police were dispatched to the home about 12:15 a.m. for a report that a 7-year-old boy shot his stepfather.

Boy, 7, fatally shoots father with 'high-powered rifle' while family sleeps

Boy, 7, fatally shoots father with 'high-powered rifle' while family sleeps

A 7-year-old boy fatally shot his stepfather while the family was asleep in their Alma home.

as far as the toys with small parts  many packages do have warnings, simply don't buy the toy. It's the aprents choice to buy the toy or not.

The boy removed the weapon from a locked case after finding the keys and fatally shot his stepfather with a "high-powered rifle" while his family was asleep, police stated.

Alma Police Detective Jason Biehl said police determined the shooting was accidental based on "circumstances, location of items, and statements from people talked to." The child's mother called police, Biehl said.

Police have not released the name of the boy or his stepfather. The boy and another child were removed from the home while police continue to investigate the shooting.

"We are just trying to do what we can for the family," Biehl said.

Neighborhood resident Ashley Gross said she would often see the stepfather in his yard from her backyard.

Gross lives around the corner from the home where the shooting happened and said she was awakened about 4 a.m. by police who asked her if she had heard anything around the time the shooting occurred.

She had, but she thought it was a firecracker.

"Which is normal around this time," Gross said.

'A hunting family'

Biehl said there were a few guns in the home where the shooting occurred and said the victim's family is "a hunting family."

"It's pretty common in this area for people to hunt," he said.

Gross said the incident is tragic and said the child should have had some kind of gun-safety training. Gross said she doesn't own a gun herself, but she said that many of the people in the area own them for hunting.

When she was leaving for work early Friday morning, Gross said she saw the police tape and the crime lab, which brought back memories of her own tragic event.

"My mom was murdered in Alma 13 years ago," she said.

Gross has lived in the area for 10 years and said that she doesn't hear about incidents like the shooting often.

"Why is a 7-year-old," Gross asked, "able to get to the keys while the family sleeps?"

Fellow resident Ellie Martin, 14, said her "heart just kind of dropped" when she heard of the shooting.

"I felt really worried and upset for them," Martin said.

solution to toys with small parts, children could choke on.. Don't buy it.... many  toys do have warnings on package about small parts ,choking hazard plus  age limits. It is really up to the parent to purchase or not purchase that toy. 

Edited by Ann Wheeler

People here hunt. We have guns in the house. My horse was living next to a shooting range and is perfectly fine with guns going off when my barn owner shoots wild cats.

But if the gun is not in your hands it is locked away where children (or others) can not get to it in any way.

I think it is mainly a cultural difference in attitude towards guns. I have nothing against them, but I can just not see any reason why someone would be so careless about something so dangerous that they make it possible for a child to reach and use it?

My kids know not to drink bleach, I still put it in the top shelf?

Parents here also leave kids to die in hot cars. They leave drugs and alcohol within reach of small children. They let them play violent video games and think its funny when they act them out. Its not a GUN thing, its a PARENT thing.

^^^And then those same kids grow up and shoot their guns at god knows what, and leave the rest of us in danger. I hear gunfire around here constantly. I never know where they are or what they're shooting at. I just hope neither I, nor my horse, is in the way. There are a lot of stupid people that can't be labeled mentally ill, but possibly mentally challenged, who own one or many guns.