Sign in to follow this  
TrailPixie1

Anyone Recognize This Brand?

My horse has a brand on his left shoulder. I don't have any info on him, other than he's around 12 yrs old. I've been searching brand books online, but not all states have online books. Not knowing where he came from is making it more difficult. Just wondering if anyone recognizes this brand. I'd love to find out more info on him.  

post-49100-0-38118500-1468732017.jpg

I had an old Mexican gelding that had a very similar brand on his left hip. Any info on where you bought him could be helpful.

I bought him in the Catskill area of New York. I don't have any idea where he was before that.

There's a dealer in my area (northern New York) that hauls Mexican horses in from out west by the load. They sell fast. Have you ridden him? Can you post a full body pic of him?

I have ridden him. He did well in the riding ring when I test rode him and he does good in the pasture at home...outside, in 'the real world', he's nervous & unsure. He seems very well broke. Neck reins, rides off your seat, moves beautifully. Definitely has talent, just needs courage! (We're working on that!)

I don't know why, but I'm not able to load photos. I'll try to upload a full body shot of him later. He's gorgeous.    

Here's a link to my gallery on HorseCity. It has before & after pictures of him. He's gained a little more weight since the 'after' picture. Not quite so ribby now! I think he may be considered a sooty buckskin with dapples. I'll post more photos later of him from today. 

http://forums.horsecity.com/index.php?s=bdc19e5c4b85abda9db1a78e6147a801&app=gallery&user=49100

He's a good looking boy. He seems like he's probably a Mexican to me, and their brands are about impossible to track down. Many are a bit flighty and nervous on the ground, some aren't. Once he gets into a routine he should settle for you. Theure broke broke broke and will last forever lol.

I had a 'Mexican' years ago. That one came from Mexico, through auction in El Paso, TX, then to Missouri, then to New Jersey. Best darn little (14.1 hh) horse/pony I ever had. He was alllllll heart. Double branded. I spent years looking for them too.

Took me almost a year of working with him to get him on a trailer (consistently). We did everything from cowboy obstacle challenges to hunter paces (once he'd get on the trailer!). Life got in the way & I had to give him up. I still cry when I think about him. Thankfully, I know where he is now. The owner won't sell him back to me....but I know he's being well cared for.

I can only hope this guy has some of the same genes!  :winking:

So, one of the ladies in New York that I bought Pie from said they got him from a lady in Connecticut, and they're pretty sure she got him at an auction. No idea what auction though. Dead end again. 

I've got my dealer friend up here looking for one for me. There's a woman that buys them from him by the load (he gets them out west) then uses them as camp horses and then sends lots of them to New Holland, Unadilla and a couple other auctions. I'll bet you've got a westerner on your hands lol. I get sad thinking about my Paco. Best horse I ever swing a leg over. I could do ANYTHING with him, and I was the only one that could catch him lol. Life got in the way as well and I gave him back to my dealer friend who sold him to a family in PA. 2 years ago I saw him advertised online at auction as a 15 year old...he was close to 30. He looked terrible. The dealer tried to buy him back to let him retire at his place with no luck. I'm still torn up about it. Those little Mexican horses have more heart than most.

I've got my dealer friend up here looking for one for me. There's a woman that buys them from him by the load (he gets them out west) then uses them as camp horses and then sends lots of them to New Holland, Unadilla and a couple other auctions. I'll bet you've got a westerner on your hands lol. I get sad thinking about my Paco. Best horse I ever swing a leg over. I could do ANYTHING with him, and I was the only one that could catch him lol. Life got in the way as well and I gave him back to my dealer friend who sold him to a family in PA. 2 years ago I saw him advertised online at auction as a 15 year old...he was close to 30. He looked terrible. The dealer tried to buy him back to let him retire at his place with no luck. I'm still torn up about it. Those little Mexican horses have more heart than most.

Wow! My Mexican gelding's name was Pazo! (Close to Paco!) There's a place in northern NJ that gets loads of Mexicans in from Missouri every spring. Echo Lake Stables in Newfoundland, NJ. Not sure if that's too far for you, but they do have excellent horses.

I checked the Cranbury Horse Auction sale site from NJ to see if there were any pictures of my current horse on there. No luck so far. The people I bought him from are being very secretive about where he came from. He had lice, snots, thrush, was underweight & skittish when I got him.  He has a few pretty bad scars on his hind legs too. I know he's had it rough. I'll keep checking other auction sites. Thank you!