Sign in to follow this  
arielmarie

Almost Showtime!

Next weekend Ellie and I will be making our Combined Driving debut!!!! I am nervous but mostly excited! Combined Driving is made up of three parts- dressage, cones (a course of several sets of cones that are numbered. It's timed and there are balls on the cones that give you time faults if you knock them down) and the marathon section which is also timed. You drive several kilometers and occassionally drive through obstacles. It's not the fasted person that wins but the person who is closest to the optimal time given the distance of the course!

Ellie and I will only be competing in dressage and cones...we aren't ready for a full marathon course you! My hopes are for a decent dressage test and since I LOVE the cones and she does too I will honestly only be pleased with a clean and fast run. We have been to a few play days with the club and cones is something we both love! I will spend the rest of the weekend volunteering so I can watch how the big Kids do I! As a reward for reading here are a few pictures of Ellie! Her white legs are a pain to keep clean so I reclipped her the other day!

20160816_202655.jpg

20160812_104938.jpg

IMG_4345.jpg

Have a blast at the show and I look forward to more pictures, she looks darling!  

I have a question about "combined driving" .... is that the event where I've seen photos/videos of horses pulling carts at speed around cones, through water, over bridges and winding around trees in the woods and there is a person on the back to help counter-balance the cart?

Good luck! I'm excited for you! That sounds like so much fun. I have only driven a couple times, and they both ended in disaster. I drove a friend's Mini mare and she was a little hot and there were some problems with the holdback strap (I'm not sure if that's what it is called) and she got bumped and tried to spook. The next time I drove was a team of mules my Papa had. I was driving them around the rodeo arena and the shaft broke. I was around 16, and it scared me to death. BUT, I still have a desire to train a pony to drive. 

Have a blast at the show and I look forward to more pictures, she looks darling!

I have a question about "combined driving" .... is that the event where I've seen photos/videos of horses pulling carts at speed around cones, through water, over bridges and winding around trees in the woods and there is a person on the back to help counter-balance the cart?

Yes. I have friends that do this too with their horses and minis.

Some of my friends are loving driving their minis in similar competitions - looks like lots of fun - enjoy and best of luck!

WE WON!!!! technically there were only 2 in our division and the other lady went off pattern in cones but...I beat her in dressage and since she's from my barn I have a feeling I would of beat her in cones so...I will take it! The most important part is that she was well behaved and we had a nice dressage pattern!