missyclare

Interesting.....

I didn't see or hear any mention of how that tape comes off for trimming. Or how well the tape stays on at pasture/in the stall. You try them Missy, and let us know. LOL

Austrian. A high degree of technology behind it.  There's nothing that says how the velcro-type pad is attached to the hoof wall. I'm thinking glue and have no doubts of its hold...a good thing, but possibly a bad thing too. I definitely see the area that the pad touches as hoof wall immediately blocked from breathing and replaced with something toxic. I wonder if when the hoof is not balanced or transitioned, that the torque would transfer to those clips, effectively pulling down on the velcro, the pad and the hoof wall.  Would it encourage a quarter to fill in and jam up? (it is in the pic and while we're at it, what's with the prominent toe quarter shape? Correct thinking but old school farrier) Would it enhance bad growth from the "jam and splat" mechanism of a medial/lateral imbalance? Yes, it would be hard to stay on top of the trim, especially taking flare off the top. I see the cover getting ripped off out in the field and lost and spending an hour trying to clean out the velcro with a pin anyway, lol. If this doesn't happen, then I imagine the hoof taking the brunt instead. It feels like I've turned the horse out into the field and forgot to take his halter off.

I think this would work best on a transitioned/balanced hoof, which I have, but then they are also rock crushing hooves, so I don't need boots. It will be entering Kick Starter soon, so hopefully will be more information, trials and opinions in the future.

The only advantage over boots that I can see, is they would go on and off easier. Having that "tape" on his foot and having to reposition it after trimming, keep it clean and on his hoof would counterbalance that inconvenience of boots. To me, anyway.

Is there a possibility that this could be a blessing for some horses & a curse for others? Or put another way, would a good farrier with a open mind, try this new approach, on a horse that has complex foot problems? just curious, Best Wishes. PD

A horse with complex problems and sensitivity because of those problems, I think the boot would definitely help, but its not a therapeutic boot at all.  Pads are needed in the boots. This boot is simple protection and not promoting a better foot.

Ive been watching these and IMO this is a step ahead of a boot but not as far as glue on or nail on rubber shoes. Pros would be they are breathable, less surface covering the foot, less aptitude to make the foot overly wet, no rubbing of boots moving around. Can be left on longer without ill effects. Can be adjusted in attachment position daily if needed on the velcro as you trim the foot or tweek the foots balance during the cycle. Eventually, the tape position will need to be moved, but I can see it being able to be left in place awhile white moving exactly where the clips hook in to it. Cons are probably going to be price, attachment failures, and unfriendly environment possibility issues id say.  

My big questions at this point are How much, and how strong are those clips and velcro? I think these would be vastly superior in rehab applications than boots. I love boots but they have some annoying limitations and inconveniences. 

Edited by Trinity