Sign in to follow this  
Alleycat

The Manic Mare

I'm just reaching out to ask a general question about my mare. Shes a 16 yr old whohatesjust about everyone she shares a paddock with or a stall wall. She has gotten worse over the past year that I've had her. Now she's beating up my rescue yearling. And he's a timid little guy who just wants someone to make him feel safe out in the paddock. She's also biting the stall walls between her and he new gelding and has beaten up several other mares and fillies at this barn. Luckly noone has been seriously hurt.

My vet told me about ReguMate, but I really dont want to go that route. I know there has to be an herbal remedy out there or something more natural. Has anyone had problems like this and what did you do to fix it? True I could just keep them separate but I'd like to keep them together incase I ever have to keep them in a paddock togehter in the future.

not that extreme but I have a gelding that was pretty grouchy and asocial to other horses.  always respectful of people but couldn't trust him in a group of horses.  i'm in Europe and have access to something called "hesterep" which is a tummy upset cure-all from Denmark, which from what you describe could be the mare's problem and not being in season or out. I don't speak Danish, but when I try to read the ingredients I can tell which one big ingredient is, and that's baking soda.  try to find a holisticpracticioner in your area who can suggest homeopathic remedies.  I tried a prescription chemical remedy for $20 bucks a day that didn't do squat (ulcergaurd), and hesterep worked like a charm.  good luck--might have to break them up for a while till they stop being so grouchy.