Sign in to follow this  
Tuckaway

Earth Quake Oklahoma

Nick we have more than Cal now.  Seems like last year we had many in a week. This year we have slowed down some but they have gotten higher on the Richter scale.

I have felt an earthquake one time.  There was a tiny one in my area many years ago.  I had no idea what was going on.

California girl, here. The entire time I lived there, I can only remember a handful of earthquakes and, none of them very big.

It's a weird feeling, like the ground is rolling under your feet.

I wasn't there when that bad one destroyed the 101 freeway near Los Angeles.

I've been waiting for California to fall into the ocean, like has been predicted for eons......Californians don't really believe that, but, it's become something we say, in conversation.

The 5.8 earthquake we had a few weeks ago kind of frightened me. There was a low rumble then the floor started shaking and the roof. I ran outside for that one.

Edited by Force

I wish you folks in Oklahoma well, as you deal with earthquakes, It has to be upsetting when the sudden cause of them is not known for certain. PD

I've only been in one earthquake and it started me. We rarely get them here in Oregon. It happened in the middle of the night and actually knocked me out of bed. I woke up when I hit the floor and it took a few min to realize what happened. Scary stuff when your not used to them. Hope your area settles back down again.

I'll take the rain rain rain we got all summer and fall, and our snow, and leave you guys to shake in your boots. 

HI PD!!  :smileywavey:  :happy0203:

I was listening to Science Friday podcasts tonight at work and I finally "get it" regarding fracking and increased seismic activity. I never quite grasped the reason until tonight! Lol

Hi Serah, fracking has been causing earthquakes in the midlands in England, where there are no faults. Fracking destabilizes the infrastructure which causes shifting of the earth.

Hi Serah, fracking has been causing earthquakes in the midlands in England, where there are no faults. Fracking destabilizes the infrastructure which causes shifting of the earth.

It is not the fracking causing the earthquakes. It is the injection wells. The waste water they pump back into the earth that causes the shifting. They have ordered some shut down in the areas having the quakes and some are reducing production.

It is not the fracking causing the earthquakes. It is the injection wells. The waste water they pump back into the earth that causes the shifting. They have ordered some shut down in the areas having the quakes and some are reducing production.

yes, this.  The injection wells basically "lube" any little ol fault in the area, causing the quakes.  If you're in to listening to podcasts, and don't already listen to Science Friday, I believe it was this episode that had the explainer that made it all "click" for me.  http://www.sciencefriday.com/episodes/october-28-2016/