Sign in to follow this  
DawnC

Kitty Cat Help Please? Picked Up A Stray - Update, Saw The Vet

Hey Kitty experts... need some quick advise if you don't mind.

I picked up a stray yesterday (dumb, dumb, dumb) who I am planning on rehoming.  Kinda interesting series of events...  I was out with my dog training club (schutzhund) and getting started with training and I hear this little meow.  Mind you, we are at a 'park' in the middle of nowhere.  When I say a park, I mean 50 acres or so of sometimes mowed fields, with a port-a-potty...  probably 1/2 mile from the nearest house... then some industrial stuff.   Not really a 'park' like you might usually think of one.  

ANYWAY...  out there with a bunch of Malinios and GSDs...  and this tiny little cat comes trotting up, fairly unconcerned with the dogs, and REALLY wanting to sit on everyone's lap and be petted.   Which he proceeded to do for 5 HOURS.  Hungry and thirsty.  No collar.  Intact male.  Insanely sweet and friendly, juvenile, less than a year I would guess.  So, I ended up taking him home because none of us could stand to leave him out there.

Stopped at an emer clinic on the way for a chip scan, nothing.  (no surprise really, but one can always hope). 

My vet can't check him out and until tomorrow... so, until I know of his status in terms of leukemia, I'm keeping him away from my own kitty.   So here, is my question....  just how 'away' do I need to keep him?   Right now, he is locked up in the shop with food and water and a little bed, but he REALLY wants some love'n.  My cat has her own play room that I could put her away in to let him in the house with me some... but then would I need to sanitize the entire house before she can come out again?  Obviously, I won't let them meet until I know his status... but am I risking my own kitty to let him in the living room with me for a while today, then putting him back out and letting her come in?  

Edited by DawnC

Feline leukemia is passed through direct contact with the affected cats bodily fluids, which means, you are doing the right thing by keeping him separated from the other kitty.

No physical contact, no sharing food/water bowls/water bowls or, litter box.( it can be passed through feces and urine). It is not airborne.

It can also be transmitted to dogs and humans, although, I've never seen such a case.

How long will little kitty need to be separated? It won't hurt him too much to be sequestered for a short period of time.

He has an appointment with my vet tomorrow @ 2:00, and they will do the test for Feline Luek then.  So really, not at all long in the big scheme of things.   I just feel bad for the little fella since he SO BADLY just wants to sit on a lap and be petted.   We know he was out there on his own for at least 2 weeks (someone said they had spotted him a couple weeks before...) so another day by himself won't hurt him. 

I just wasn't sure if I needed to go so far as to not let him in the house at all... even if my own cat is locked away in a separate room.

I'm just an absolute sucker.   I am not naming him.  I am not naming him.  I am not naming him.  (his name is Brevet by the way). 

Bless you for bringing Brevet home and not leaving him to fend on his own.   =^..^= 

FeLV cannot live long outside the body of an infected cat.  Perhaps a few hours, according to Cornell Veterinary College.  http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/brochure_felv.cfm  

IMO, once fluids outside an infected cat have cooled and dried, the virus has also died.  

I always bring new kitties inside and place them in a bathroom because those rooms are easy to clean and sanitize.  I've never had an issue and in all my time of fostering I've only had one kitten come in and test positive for FeLV and I've also had one adult cat (vaccinated) I had for several years suddenly develop it.  The kitt was separated from the others but the adult cat was in/out of my home and intermingling daily with the other housecats until he fell ill and had to be euth'd.  None of my other cats developed the disease.

Edited by Heidi n Q

Just got back from the vet...   kitty gets a thumbs up.  Healthy, with no issues to report.  He got his first round of kitten shots, rabies vacc, and a pre-emptive worming.  They had to threaten to dunk him under running water to get him to stop purring. 

If I still have him a month from now, he goes back in for his boosters and to get neutered. 

The estimate that he is pretty close to 6 months old. 

With that being said, he has a large dog crate that has now been moved out of the shop and in to the house.  He will be in there when any of the other critters are loose in the house (cat/dog(s)) during an introductory phase.  He'll also sleep in there.   Hopefully he is able to pick up the concept of a litter box quickly.   I used my normal litter with dirt on top to simulate something he is a bit more used to.  Will phase out the dirt as he figures it out. 

Yay!  I'm glad he tested healthy.  I use a large dog crate to intro new cats to my crew, too.  It has worked the best as everyone can see everyone, they can interact how they feel most comfortable and everyone stays safe as they get used to the idea of a newcomer in the house.