Sign in to follow this  
missyclare

Today I Learned....

Austrailia has just banned the use of whips in training and racing with harness horses. Norway had banned it earlier, but theirs came down from the government, triggered by welfare legislation.  In Australia the order came down from the national racing authority itself.  No more, will tired horses be whipped in the name of sport.

Thoughts can't be governed.  Unless you mean Australia permits racist actions against people, but I thought their laws were contemporary and not out-of-date?

I'd like to see whip use, other than light cues, not used in competitive equine sports.  If the horse doesn't want the win w/out having to be whipped, they don't want the win.  Encourage and entreat with your voice and body cues.  No need for a smack of pain to be involved.

Edited by Heidi n Q

thoughts can't be governed?  behavior can be.  there are laws against justice or injustice in this world, but they have to be enforced or else they are useless.    google the history of how Australia became "Australia", and what happened to the aborigines.

I  had the privelege to "breeze" a race horse in santa anita California 15 years ago.   a 16 year old French bred tb retiree no-nonsense pony horse who still knew what to do.  afterwards i needed a nap :ph34r:.  I didn't see anybody whipping horses, it interrupts the rhythm  and slows them down.   I don't get the logic in this.  horse races used to be a lot longer when jockeys sat and were not in a two point.  they should legislate getting off the bloody forehand.   

6 minutes ago, nick said:

thoughts can't be governed?  behavior can be.  there are laws against justice or injustice in this world, but they have to be enforced or else they are useless.    google the history of how Australia became "Australia", and what happened to the aborigines.

I  had the privelege to "breeze" a race horse in santa anita California 15 years ago.   a 16 year old French bred tb retiree no-nonsense pony horse who still knew what to do.  afterwards i needed a nap :ph34r:.  I didn't see anybody whipping horses, it interrupts the rhythm  and slows them down.   I don't get the logic in this.  horse races used to be a lot longer when jockeys sat and were not in a two point.  they should legislate getting off the bloody forehand.   

they need to be "corrected", just like they are in the herd.  horses should be treated like horses.  If I am crossing a street with three riders and three dogs all of them need to understand I say when they go, and not sooner.  if somebody does there is a consequence. 

I have gone cubbing in Ireland and England, where the young horses and hounds learn how to work together as a pack.  if one hound goes astray and comes back,  the master needs to go into the compound to make sure the others don't beat the crap out of him because he didn't  obey the rules.  they are NOT nice to each other.    they are ENFORCERS.  

I worked for the state vet at a harness race track for ten years. He asked me to go to the barns one day to witness  a horse that had reportedly been beaten. The horse had welts so it had to be reported to the commission. The owner's excuse for putting his horse in crossties after a race and whipping it was, "Doc you work so hard to feed them and then try to earn a little money to help with the bills and then they run a cra**y race and don't even try."  With that mentality in the race game, they don't need whips. 

Nick, if you've never seen a whip at a racetrack, you weren't paying attention.

I have seen whips waving around all over the place just not smacking the horse.  eta:  but I've never been to Australia.

Edited by nick
never been to australia so don't know what they do

I don't know, but what I've learned from interviews I've read with with trainers of American pharaoh and his ilk, is that the horse who wins is often the most relaxed horse.  that is what everybody said about this remarkable horse.  he is relaxed.    doesn't make sense to beat a tb up.  you put him in a gate with his girl friend in front on the track, let her lope and then open his gate and watch him have FUN.   

you'd have to be a moron to beat up a tb to run and expect it to win consistently. 

aha. sorry that I didn't read the fine print.  a harness race track vet, so now you're talking standardbreds.  what goes on there is as sickening as the TWH  world.   what goes on there makes giving a horse a whack on the behind in a horse race (if it even happens in Australia, I don't know never been there), look completely and totally harmless.

I give my a horse a good whack with my crop if he doesn't respect my leg.  he weighs 600 kg and I weigh 55.  I wear spurs too, because my horse understands my aids more quickly and with less confusion than if I ride without them. 

horsemanship 101. 

i would much rather see abusers punished appropriately than see things outlawed myself. A whip is a tool of abuse to a few but is a great training tool for many others. I can't remember the last time I used a whip other than very sparingly. I use a buggy whip for a reluctant leader, a lung whip to desensitize one to picking up feet, touching legs and belly, etc. I can all of this with a rope too, just like I can also beat the tar out of one with a rope,  but the whips are more convenient for me. 

i'd rather see big rewards given for people reporting abusive practices.  this happened a few years ago in the TWH world.  since the grooms are all Mexican throughout our country guess now that the orange man is in charge nobody will be care.