Sign in to follow this  
TigerLilly

Ulcer epidemic ?

Ok, so I have had horses of and on for a while, but in the last few years I have noticed a bit of an unfortunate trend. Suddenly everyone's horses have ulcers. I had only seen one horse years ago with a case of ulcers. There were obvious signs he was uncomfortable and acted colicky. That was the only case I seen first hand from diagnosis to treatment. Horse was fine after treatment. 

But now it seems like there is some equine ulcer epidemic. And the treatments and preventative supplements are very expensive. Anyone ever read about succeed? $100 a month! That's crazy. But after reading I got paranoid and put my mare on Ulc-r-aid. But is my paranoia based in reality or is this some lucrative marketing campaign preying on people's fears and wallets? 

There are other things you can use that are much cheaper. Aloe very juice is one alternative that works well and is very cheap. Also we have a product around here called gut health. It's an aloe Vera based supplement that has time release crystal's that help even hind gut ulcers. That's what I use on my mare bc I figure it can't hurt and since it's an all natural product I just give it to her to help with the ulcers or prevent them. 

a study was done in Australia on exactly this topic that concluded that 70% of all stalled horses develop ulcers at some point, as opposed to horses living outside all year round.    I tried ulcer guard on my horse for a month at a whopping cost of 500 bucks (ouch) which didn't help at all.  through a holistic practicioner I found a tummy soother manufacturer in demnark whose formula is comprised of household items like baking soda and herbs.  worked like a charm and was 60 bucks for a year's supply.  i'd post the link but it's in Danish. 

Most research points to constant access to food as a remedy/preventative for ulcers. That's why horses kept outdoors are generally ulcer free. Slow feeders help considerably for stalled horses. I feed free choice hay with a small hole hay net and my horse is never without hay. I have to test his hay though, to make sure he doesn't get too much sugar and does get adequate nutrients.

Ok, that explains why I have never had a horse with ulcers or seen many with them. Up until this year all of my horses have been outdoor, free choice feeders. Now I board and my mare spends at least 10 hours in a stall. I will keep her on her ulcer aid. 

Maybe see if they will feed her more hay and less grain. Actually, unless she is in heavy work, or is a hard keeper, she doesn't really need grain, just adequate and balanced forage and balanced minerals.

2 hours ago, jubal said:

Maybe see if they will feed her more hay and less grain. Actually, unless she is in heavy work, or is a hard keeper, she doesn't really need grain, just adequate and balanced forage and balanced minerals.

She gets two big flakes at night when she is stalled and gets 1lb of Tribute at night. And free choice hay all day.

I don't think ulcers are more prevalent but I think they are diagnosed more. More and more is learned all the time and a lot of "bad actors" now get diagnosed with ulcers and get better when those are treated/cured.