Sign in to follow this  
TrailPixie1

Odd size saddle help

I've tried 7" FQHB saddles & 6 1/2" SQHB saddles. After downloading templates, my horse seems to take a SQHB, but is a 7" gullet. Does anyone know of any companies that make this odd combination? 

On 12/29/2016 at 11:08 AM, TrailPixie1 said:

I've tried 7" FQHB saddles & 6 1/2" SQHB saddles. After downloading templates, my horse seems to take a SQHB, but is a 7" gullet. Does anyone know of any companies that make this odd combination? 

Are you are referring to the Templates from the Horse Saddle Shop?

They have have a Normal/Narrow which is a SGHB 86 degree angle 6.5" Gullet

And a Wide which is a FQHB 90 degree 90 degree angle 7.0" Gullet

There is a Tree called a Regular QHB 88 degree angle 6.75" Angle, but no one has a template for that, there are not a lot of companies that have the in-between size, but I find the RQHB very popular, SQHB is often called Medium and FQHB is often called a wide by some Saddle Makers.

The Angle of the Bar is much more important then the Gullet Width, concentrate on the angle 1st for fitting.

What Breed of Horse do you have and what is the Height in Hands, Age and approx weight. ?

I can give some suggestions based on those answers, I have successfully fitted over 300 Horses on-line and many more in-person

Edited by SouthernTrails

Thank you, Southern Trails! Yes, the templates were from the Horse Saddle Shop. The SQHB template fits nicely, the FQHB is too wide at the bottom. I tried a Fabtron synthetic trail saddle (6 1/2" SQHB) on him with just a thin saddle blanket under it. The angle seemed OK, but the gullet was so tight I could barely squeeze my hand under it. The FQHB/7" gullet I have seems to rest on his spine. My 'go to' saddle is a medium/wide Synergist with a 7" gullet. I love the saddle & it fits him great, but it makes my, um, 'lady parts' go numb. 

He's supposedly a 13 yr old QH. He's approx 14.3 hh & weighs about 953lbs per weight tape. I don't have many good current body pics of him, these are from Aug/Sept.

Someone had recommended an Arab saddle on one of the other horse forums. Not sure what angle those bars are though. Thanks for any help you can give!  

EDITED TO ADD: Since I posted this, I re-measured him. I made a template of the FQHB saddle (near the center of the saddle). It seems to fit much better now that he's gained weight. (He was perfect weight in the Aug. pictures, but has gained a little weight since then.) The angle at the gullet is right on the medium-wide to wide borderline according to the Wintec gullet measurer I have. I'm thinking I might be able to get away with a 7" FQHB with the right pad. I really like the Fabtron Lady Flex Saddle. Would the flex tree adjust enough for some seasonal weight gain & loss? 

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0001.JPG

Pie~Sept. 2016 .JPG

Edited by TrailPixie1