Sign in to follow this  
Oak's Mama

Bad Wound and Cannot Use Halter

He is a big boy. He looks huge next to you but smaller next to your husband. I'd have to get on him from a tree branch!.

Jubal, Oak threw a shoe just this morning! We only keep his fronts shod due to an injury to his left front hoof when he was a foal that has left a scar and a inward curve to the heel of the hoof on the inside. We want to protect the integrity of that hoof so we keep shoes on his fronts only. He is the only one of our horses that has shoes. The others just have the farrier come every 6 weeks to trim and clean their hooves, again leave it to Oak to be different. 
The pictures were taken before Oak cut his face. The headshot was actually taken the day we got him. The one with Craig riding him was taken AFTER Oak had his meltdown in January! We live in Southwest GA and the weather here at the moment is a sunny 78 degrees. Hence the reason for the short sleeves. I have a lot of people ask me 'Where do y'all live that you can wear short sleeves in February?" We have 'Bipolar Weather' here. 

I am not trying to sound 'disgruntled' but back when I came to this forum asking for help in January because Oak was, well, acting crazy (I thought)! I genuinely needed help. I had gone to a place called Horse Forum (I think it was called). The people there were very rude and dismissive simply because I didn't 'speak their language' I guess. They told me that my husband needed to lose weight because he is 250lbs (not taking into consideration his height), that Oak couldn't be as big as I said he was, that TB were NOT hotbloods, etc... and were just really haughty and mean spirited. Then I came here and you all were SO helpful. I found out that 'we' WERE doing some things wrong, but I also found out how to correct them. I found out things about TB's that I didn't know, because I have NEVER owned one before (and in this case 1/2 of one!). I just want to thank you guys for being kind and so helpful. Sometimes we find ourselves out of our element, and asking for help is not the easiest thing in the world (especially when you are old). You guys here make it easier to ask questions and not feel like an idiot for NOT knowing. Everyone I have talked to here is kind, knowledgeable, and helpful without being condescending and rude. THANK YOU ALL for everything! 

I have been to that other forum too. Boy are they full of themselves. Here, I just get ignored a lot, but it beats the crappola THEY dish out.

I saw your post there, Oak. They were definitely piling on. They were each trying to outdo the other in rudeness.

3 hours ago, Oak's Mama said:

Heidi, you SEE my step stool next to him don't you? 

I had to go back and look.  I can see why you'd need it.  From the ground, you'd have to practically do the splits with your legs to get a foot in the stirrup.  I'm way beyond that, now; trampoline, trailer, back-of-a-truck, stump .... I need something!

I like your comment about bi-polar weather here in Georgia.  That describes it to a T!  Light rain as I got off work and it is 65*.  Crazy.

1 hour ago, jubal said:

I saw your post there, Oak. They were definitely piling on. They were each trying to outdo the other in rudeness.

Why are people like that? I just don't get it. If you cannot offer some help for someone who is coming to you obviously in need and OBVIOUSLY out of their element don't take verbal stabs at them. So I am not a PhD in TB's or English riding, try delivering a breach calf! Yea, I may be a bit of a redneck but I LOVE my horses, now HELP ME! That was how I felt. I am glad that I found this site. NO ONE around this way had any idea what was going on because NO one around here is familiar with TB's. We found Oak's trainer via our vet and he drives 50 miles one way to work with him and US 3X per week. We were even willing to PAY for help. We just didn't know where to look. We had never had a horse act like this.
I am glad that THIS site was available.  

Heidi, I promise I have used the feed trailer for the cows, the tailgate of the truck, the hay ring, you name it. If I want to ride bareback (I am 51) I NEED a boost! I know that I am not even going to attempt to bareback Oak! Talk about doing a 'split' to get on! 

Very nice pictures!  I'm 5'8" and bought a 6 year old gelding 5 years ago who "was" 158, and I thought "that's a lovely size".  I researched everything thing about the breed except for when they're done growing (8) :thud:.  

Wow nick! How big is he now? My Whisp is 15hh and for me that is a good size. We have a 15.2hh gelding that Craig used to ride but he always felt like a gorilla on a tricycle. That is why when we had the opportunity to buy Oak we did. He was advertised as an Appendix Quarter Horse who was bred out of Sarasota FL. Then we found out he tended to lean more towards his TB blood than his QH. It is what it is. We are committed to him now and are going to see this through. He is getting better and just requires a firmer hand than the other horses.

4 hours ago, nick said:

Very nice pictures!  I'm 5'8" and bought a 6 year old gelding 5 years ago who "was" 158, and I thought "that's a lovely size".  I researched everything thing about the breed except for when they're done growing (8) :thud:.  

158 what?

I can't see over his withers anymore and i haven't shrunk.  Mounting without help is :thud:

I can't see over Oak's either. I need SOMETHING to get on him or a hand on the backside to push me up. He was listed as 16.2hh but I am telling you, (we haven't measured him because to us it is unimportant) he has to be at LEAST 17hh. 

Just thought I would let everyone know that Oak got his stitches off yesterday! The vet said that it healed very well considering how badly it had been flayed open! We had NO complications, no pulled stitches, no popped stitches, no infection, no seepage, just a perfectly healed wound from the inside out! She also said that Oak's disposition has DRASTICALLY improved since she first saw him and tested his hormones. She told us to keep up the good work! 

great news! 

i'm riding in a horsemanship clinic this weekend, including riding on the cutting machine.   it's pretty shocking how much our trusty steeds have to put up with :duh:.