Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oak's Mama

Socializing a Hinny

3 posts in this topic

Ok. I have already posted in the "general forum'. I didn't know that there was a forum for donkeys, mules, & hinnies. 
I am trying my dead level best to socialize a hinny who had been abandon for close to 3 years in a pasture. He came to me emaciated, matted, and very scared. I have progressed to the point where he will take treats out of my hand but he is still afraid of human interaction. He has bonded with my mare and will follow her anywhere she goes and is beside himself when she is taken out of the pasture to go work the cattle.
I have tried 'walking him down', he does NOT ask to rejoin the herd. he will stay away if I am in the pasture. I have tried walking up to him and just before he is about to turn away I give im release and I turn around and walk away. I have sat on a feed bucket for two hours on several days trying to make him curious enough to investigate me to no avail. I can touch him through the hay ring, but it is NOT a pet or a rub, it is just a quick touch then I pull my hand away before he has the chance to bolt. 
If anyone here has experience with miniature hinnies or miniature mules please help. The flies are getting bad here in Georgia and he needs some fly spray, he needs to have his winter coat brushed off, he needs a bath, and I want to have my farrier tend to his little hooves when he comes out to tend to my other horses. I just want to take care of him and I am not having any luck other that feeding him treats. 

Dusty.jpg

I see he has a halter on.  How about using the mare to get him to follow you around?  If that works you should be able to eventually tie him to the mare, and then you use HER to teach him all kinds of stuff.  (They're better teachers than we are...).  Also to trust you.