Sign in to follow this  
TeamA

Advice please

I recently bought a horse and was told she was broke to ride.  I rode her all over at the lady's place. When I rode her, she brought her horse out as well. She went on lots of trail rides with her. However, I now have her home (only been a week) and I have discovered she really doesn't not know sense of direction with the bridle. So, basically the horse is more of a follower and is not per say bridle broke. Is there a way to break her of this habit? She seems a bit irritated when on her and is kind of threatening to buck in a way as she does not know what she is to do with the bridle in.

Since you seem at a loss as how to proceed, my best advice would be to hire a reputable trainer to fix the problem. Your other choice would be to return the horse and get your money back.

Edited by noponies

The horse needs to go back to basics with her training.  Either you will need to guide her to understanding what you are asking of her or a trainer will need to do it.  This is not an area to cut corners on - the horse needs to learn this basic skill in order to be a good riding citizen for you and any future riders.

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 2:58 PM, TeamA said:

I recently bought a horse and was told she was broke to ride.  I rode her all over at the lady's place. When I rode her, she brought her horse out as well. She went on lots of trail rides with her. However, I now have her home (only been a week) and I have discovered she really doesn't not know sense of direction with the bridle. So, basically the horse is more of a follower and is not per say bridle broke. Is there a way to break her of this habit? She seems a bit irritated when on her and is kind of threatening to buck in a way as she does not know what she is to do with the bridle in.

please elaborate on what you mean by "doesn't know sense of direction with the bridle".  did you ride her in a bridle when you tried her out, and was the lady with her horse always with you trail riding?  and what does she do when you think she is "threatening to buck with the bridle in", and how old is she?  what's your rein contact like?  the list of questions is long if you want halfway meaningful advice online.  videos would be good, and  if you mean she won't go out on her own then she's barn sweet, which means she's sticky when it comes to herd and home.