Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wolfhaven

Annual Garden Thread

217 posts in this topic

I recognize some but couldn't tell you the names.

At Menards we bought our vegetable seeds. Sweet corn, peas, beans , radish, & variety lettuce.  Going to get a couple hard side kiddie pools for pots.

Also got sunflower variety pack.  Have an old bed that can get cleaned out for those, plus I think I have an old container of wild mix that can spread.  Either those seeds will grow or not.

The yellow ones are fritillaria. http://www.hollandbulbfarms.com/itemdesc.asp?item=Lutea-Yellow-Fritillaria&cat=FRITILLARIA&ic=87104

I've never seen those in real life.

After enlarging your photos, I don't think the second picture is laurel. Laurel has smoother, shinier leaves. And the small blue ones in the third picture are grape hyacinth, I think. http://www.americanmeadows.com/flower-bulbs/grape-hyacinth-flower-bulbs

Did you just move into this place? If you did, someone left you some nice plants.

6 hours ago, jubal said:

The yellow ones are fritillaria. http://www.hollandbulbfarms.com/itemdesc.asp?item=Lutea-Yellow-Fritillaria&cat=FRITILLARIA&ic=87104

I've never seen those in real life.

After enlarging your photos, I don't think the second picture is laurel. Laurel has smoother, shinier leaves. And the small blue ones in the third picture are grape hyacinth, I think. http://www.americanmeadows.com/flower-bulbs/grape-hyacinth-flower-bulbs

Did you just move into this place? If you did, someone left you some nice plants.

Thanks everyone. We bought this house last August so really had no clue what was planted here as most of the plants had died off. 

When we moved to the farm I moved a lot of plants.  Did ok with a number of them & all it cost was labor.

Those bed were in when you bought the house?  You lucky dog.  Now to maintain the beds.

Lucky you! And a nice flowering tree to look at. You'll probably have flowers most of the summer.

When I moved, I traded a kitchen table to the new owner for some plants. So I have some things that are forty -some years old and some things that came from my parents' and grandparents' homes. The previous owner here had very few flowers.

Thanks:) but I can't take the credit. Those were all here when we bought it. I put some lily bulbs down. 

Oh I'd have fun with those bed's.  I love moving  plants around & thinning to other bed's.

2 hours ago, noponies said:

Beautiful, but ----------- the WEEDING! :o

There's always a downside, isn't there?

I really enjoy putting in the flowers, really hate all the weeding later.

Makes me think really hard, every year, about putting them in, at all.

Well, we decided not to move, so I've been working on getting the front yard cleaned up.  So far I have clipped off the branches growing outside the fence, knocked over and removed an old archway that was rotten and ripped out a bunch of grass and lemon balm.  It's been probably 3 years since anyone did anything with the yard, so there is lots of catching up to do.

This spring I planted 8 trees (1 Lavender Crape Myrtle, 2 Pink Dogwood, 2 Redbud, 3 Red Maple) and uprooted and transplanted 2 existing trees (5' tall Tulip Tree and a 3' tall Maple).

Planted a dozen daylilys (Prairie Belle, Purple de Oro, Little Business and Wine Delight) into an existing 70' line of standard orange daylilys and dug up and transplanted 10' of the thin end of that line to make the remaining 60' line look fuller.  Also planted 2 Catnip plants for the outside kitties and I can snip leaves for the indoor kitties.

TO plant:  

I have 5 Jasmine for the outside of the pool fence, another 5 Gardenias to plant - need to decide where so they can smell their best when we are outside.  A small handful of blackberry vines then several varieties of tomato plants, bell peppers and watermelon.

Still keeping an eye out for pink double peonies.

I need to contact the company I got my trees from because one of the Redbuds isn't doing well at all.  It has three main upper branches that did not leaf-out.

Well......I moved my hummingbird feeder................

16 minutes ago, noponies said:

Well......I moved my hummingbird feeder................

Speaking of which.......I need to take mine down, clean them, fill and, hang back up. They'll be back soon!

Mine come in for the winter, but I have a pole I hang them on, and moved it across the (tiny) yard.

If they stayed here during the winter, they'd freeze solid .

We get Hummers but I don't feed the birds.  Have been looking for perennials that attracts Hummers & butterflies.  Found some that would do well in our zone.  

Heidi, Redbuds do well as an understory tree. They usually grow along the edge of the woods. And they have to have an acid soil. I've been trying to grow them here in the sun in high ph land and it's a losing battle so far.. My other place was shady and acid and they really grew well there,. They nearly took over the pasture. They are my favorite spring flowering tree.

Mine are planted near pine trees so the soil is acidic.  My neighbor had one and I *loved* it every spring.  

Get your neighbors to toss all their coffeegrounds under that redbud. That will help a bunch. Or use a lot of pinebark mulch around it.

I've got a bumper crop of snow growing in my gardens.  Anybody want some?  

Keep your Wolf as we have a surgar dusting.  If this keep up Wolf you should be able to pick your snow peas next week.:crazy:

Harvesting bulk snow cones.  Just have to be wary of the snow snakes...  :o

When you pick you ice berg lettuce watch out for the frost slugs.  Heard they can be really nasty.

I love reading everyone's posts.

Tigerlily, how exciting to discover for the first time what's in your garden. The previous owners left you a great starting place.

I've had feeders out and not one humming bird have I seen. Not sure why, we always have them in Spring. 

Its so windy today I had to give up working on getting my garden how I envisioned it in 2014 (pre-husbands lung transplant) but if it isn't done before real heat and humidity set in it will wait until fall. The weeds are clearly winning the battle. Short of letting my husband have his way with weed killer, I've exhausted my ideas...weed barriers haven't worked nor has a layer of hay because these native weed seeds are airborne.

I got my morning glories planted in the old water trough, excited to see them grow along the fence. Look at this mess!!! 

IMG_1684.thumb.JPG.1618035a5c43c826bce0ef3c0604b331.JPG

Moved my blue/white flower pots out to my full sun spot yesterday along with my Meyer lemon and lavender. I'm looking for a large dark blue pot for the lavender so it matches the color scheme. I adore the metal bluebonnet I found in Blanco.

IMG_1683.thumb.JPG.067e568bfb374cad046093632f39f01a.JPG

QH, I got a small tiller that fits on my string trimmer shaft. I'm going to try to use that between the plants to keep the weeds at bay. I don't have stone paths, though, so it will be easier.

4 hours ago, jubal said:

QH, I got a small tiller that fits on my string trimmer shaft. I'm going to try to use that between the plants to keep the weeds at bay. I don't have stone paths, though, so it will be easier.

I have a small tiller but, well...it's a long story. This area was a driveway before we built the house. So it was hard packed clay and recycled concrete. Before we put the fence up, we scraped a lot of it off, but digging/planting in it is still next to impossible! Took me a day to pickax holes for my rose beds. Only solution is to pull up the weed barrier, loosen the soil with a tiller then mix in a thick layer of good organic top soil then add more soil on top. It's the only thing I can think of to do.