Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wolfhaven

Annual Garden Thread

217 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Heidi n Q said:

I have folders organized on my computer for photos, like one for plants, the house, the yard and sub-folders for ideas I'd like to implement in addition to individual folder for my pets.  I also keep organized word documents where I could list the order of my plants - I have rows of Daylilys and Camellias of varying colors and I wanted to keep track of what order I planted the colors and what their names were.

Ugh, this concerns me.  I will be planting Gardenias, Jasmine and Blackberries and had planned to use weed-control fabric to keep their root area and their row clear so I wouldn't have to mow too close to the plants and they are too young to survive a weed-whacker. 

Heidi, don't be concerned, it works but not when the dogs and cats get in there and move it around, dig and use it as a cat box. As long as the edges are anchored  so it can't be blown up or allowed to shift, it will do the job. You can see where the weeds got sun.

IMG_1695.thumb.JPG.12750b4a264b45041ef5e8e86aaf6b12.JPG

The landscape fabrics are different thicknesses, too. Bur after many years, even the heaviest ones will fail and tear. I put some under my deck last year. At the front edge, the Lillies of the Valley had started to creep under the deck. This spring, they came up under the fabric and it looks like little hills. But, they didn't come through and I'm guessing they won't come up next year.

My raised garden box is really growing. I'm getting small tomatoes. Can't wait to have homegrown veggies!

IMG_20170507_182616594.jpg

On 5/7/2017 at 6:33 PM, Danyel said:

My raised garden box is really growing. I'm getting small tomatoes. Can't wait to have homegrown veggies!

IMG_20170507_182616594.jpg

Danyel, I like your idea for raised beds. Is that plastic skirting?

We got the arbor anchored and screen door up. I think the door needs ginger bread cornices (if that's the correct term) in the corners which is an easy fix. It looks crooked but the ground drops, we don't have a level piece of ground on our entire place! 

IMG_1709.thumb.JPG.88d5d1f9177d123ac85a8c5e550478c9.JPG

Grimmie, love your screen door.

The skirting on garden box is roofing metal. We had a lot of scrap pieces left. I need to paint the wood because it's not treated. I'm real happy with it. So easy to keep the weeds out.

I finally got the other half of my garden weeded, hand tilled and leveled out. Going to plant cucumber and corn next. While I was watering it down because it was so dry my neighbor came over to complain about little. Apparently I need to talk to my husband because he mowed to far over to her property "I am the one who mowes the lawn and I haven't mowed there yet this spring". 

I let her know that but told her I would be happy to leave a few extra rows for her. She threw up her hands and left lol. 

45 minutes ago, TigerLilly said:

I finally got the other half of my garden weeded, hand tilled and leveled out. Going to plant cucumber and corn next. While I was watering it down because it was so dry my neighbor came over to complain about little. Apparently I need to talk to my husband because he mowed to far over to her property "I am the one who mowes the lawn and I haven't mowed there yet this spring". 

I let her know that but told her I would be happy to leave a few extra rows for her. She threw up her hands and left lol. 

Oh geez, I DO NOT miss neighbor disputes!

Anyone know why this would occur on a pink knock out rose? It's cool though.

IMG_1710.thumb.JPG.e925a252e3a7b571aa9358bc653b97e7.JPG

I'm guessing the rose bush is a hybred & you got a funky color flower.

Tiger I wouldn't be complaining about having some of my yard mowed.  Guess hubby wasn't mowing it short enough or to short.

I could cry.  Have no idea if I'll get my planter done this year.  Work has gone crazy.

Please help me brainstorm. I don't use chemicals on my yard or flowers. Every year when the farmers cut their wheat, we're inundated with Japanese beetles. They love red things and strip my Japanese Maple bushes and Barberry bushes and roses. I have used traps for several years but they have gotten worse instead of better. I want to cover their favorite plantings with a netting instead. Bird netting has a mesh that is too large to keep them out. Anyone know of a netting that has a small enough mesh to stop them but still will let in sun and rain?

Wedding tulle is very fine mesh, and very cheap. I've used it to make sort of a net on a wide-brim hat to keep mosquitos and gnats out of my ears.

Edited by noponies

Very likely, since its also used for making tutus.

Jubal, tulle comes in red and it is inexpensive! 

So, I'm going to start building a garden from scratch in the fall. My idea right now is to use cement blocks to build raised beds and then put a fence up around them to keep things out. I'm planning on 3 ft between the fence and the bed, then 3 ft between each bed. Landscape cloth under everything and then a layer of sand or pea gravel over the cloth between the beds. Fence will be hog panels and t-posts.

I would like 6 4x8 beds, and 1 long narrow one for peas/beans that need support.

Does this sound like a good idea? I only want to set it up once, so I need to get it right the first time.

What would you fill the beds with? I'm thinking coconut fiber, compost and pearlite? Or maybe some potting soil that the local place will deliver by the dump truck load?

On 5/11/2017 at 6:03 PM, jubal said:

Thanks, I'll look for it. I don't suppose it comes in red? :crazy:

I just watched my Central Texas gardeners series on PBS, they also recommend using tulle for it's low cost and wider widths than the screening.

Pepperann That sounds like a great plan. Benefit of using cinder blocks is, you can plant zinnias in the holes in the blocks making a good border of protection from pests. What is your soil like, does it need amending? Can't go wrong with any organic medium. I like to scrape up what's left of our round bales and the poo around it before we put a new one out, dump it in a location where I can water it and add organic matter from the kitchen to it. Already have worms in it, they make quick work of breaking it down. I mulch with it in the next spring and winter. 

A soil test kit is a handy tool. Let's you know what your soil is lacking before you get started?

I decided to go with purple Jackmanii clematis on my arbor. I couldn't find established vines so I got two root plants I found by the bulbs and put them in big pots for now since I don't have my beds ready yet. Be exciting when they poke through the soil.

Hope everyone has a Blessed day!

43 minutes ago, Heidi n Q said:

Oh!  I *love* Jackmanii!  

This will be my first crack at growing it Heidi, wish me luck. I've always grown old climbing roses like Cecile Bruner on trellises but I am so tired of battling black spot and powdery mildew. 

Some pics I took today. Can't find the gingerbreading I want for my screen door at lumber stores. The plan is to check Hobby Lobby or Michael's tomorrow, pretty sure one of them has what I want.

Question, see the old brass head board in the garden? I can't decide if I want to leave it brass or paint it. My concern is, it won't show up if it's left as is especially with flowers in front of it.

IMG_1733.JPG

IMG_1734.JPG

IMG_1735.JPG

I'd paint the headboard red.  I paint everything red. I love red. Lol!

It would add  a pop of color .

19 minutes ago, equicrzy said:

I'd paint the headboard red.  I paint everything red. I love red. Lol!

It would add  a pop of color .

That was my first color choice then white. It happens to be my favorite color, then turquoise. Wouldn't take long to spray it with Rustoleum. Have to add it to my projects list.

Hey...tiller is running, I plan to get after it as soon as it cools down and the sun is below the house.

Edited by grimmie

6 hours ago, grimmie said:

Pepperann That sounds like a great plan. Benefit of using cinder blocks is, you can plant zinnias in the holes in the blocks making a good border of protection from pests. What is your soil like, does it need amending? Can't go wrong with any organic medium. I like to scrape up what's left of our round bales and the poo around it before we put a new one out, dump it in a location where I can water it and add organic matter from the kitchen to it. Already have worms in it, they make quick work of breaking it down. I mulch with it in the next spring and winter. 

No idea what the natural soil is like. The neighbor says its good and we are in the bottom land right next to a river. I'm not planning on using the natural soil for the raised beds. I'm going to purchase the base and then add compost to it. I have several of the black barrel composters that are working now. I should have good compost by fall when I'm ready to start this project.  For this season, I'm using an old garden plot that my father in law built up before he passed. It is nice soil, but not in a good location or layed out very well for me. I think I'll turn it into a rose garden next year :)

Decided to add a garden bed to the blackberry row.

Image may contain: tree, grass, plant, sky, outdoor and nature

Ready for the weed barrier cloth.

Image may contain: one or more people, grass, tree, shoes, plant, sky, outdoor and nature

I went out last night at 11:30 and worked until 1.  I raked the ground smooth, laid the cloth, unloaded 8 more bags of dirt from the truck and put all the bags in.

Image may contain: one or more people, grass, shoes and outdoor

We have tomatoes, peppers and watermelon to plant.  Next year I'd like to add squash, zucchini, cantalope and sweet corn.  I may need to enlarge my garden bed for all that, though!

That looks awesome Heidi! Can't wait to see everything grow.

i got one side of the garden tilled last night when some friends dropped by. Then we went for a late dinner with our daughter SIL and grandson. I have to get some groceries today in town so I will finish it tonight. Thinking I'll set out some tomato squash and pepper plants and plant bulbs this fall. Next spring the perineals go in.

Over all I'm pleased with how rich the soil is after 2 years since adding organic matter back before my husband's illness.

At my former home, the next door neighbor used to take the manure from my place to his house monthly. He stockpiled it for his garden. Then he started growing his squash and watermelon on the manure pile. He had HUGE squash and watermelon vines!

This how things are looking now. Not very organized but growing. 

20170515_171640.jpg

20170515_171647.jpg

20170515_171653.jpg

All of your gardens are looking great.

I'm itching to get seeds in pots.  Have to get some kiddie pools.