My husband and I have discussed this a lot recently. We have decided that unless our children manage to get full ride scholarships, we have no plans to push them to gour to a 4 year college. I see so many people my age and younger saddled with debt and working low paying jobs. I just cannot justify putting my kids through that. We still save for them but I would prefer they use that money to put towards learning a trade at a community college. 

So how do you all feel about college and the debt that goes along with it?

My kids had the choice of going to college, we didn't push, one way or the other.

My daughter  loved school, she wanted to go, she graduated with a Veterinary sciences degree.  She had  grants and scholarships, the rest, either she paid or, we did, it was mostly books we were paying for..... I don't really know the full cost of what she was paying back, in loans, I know she took out at least one loan.

My son, the hater of school, went to college for a year, decided it wasn't for him and, didn't go back, electing to work, instead. I don't think he took out any loans, we paid for that one year.

I know what you mean, i think, it isn't worth it to push kids towards college (universities) when in most cases, a community college could very well be just as good, less expensive, too. Depends on the kid and, what his/her goals are.

It boggles the mind, how much debt is accumulated over the college course, people just have to weigh the cost, against the potential job availability and, decide if it's worth it.

Lol.....not much help, huh?

If a student is to go on to college, then they should make sure there will be a demand for degree when they graduate. Neither of our daughter's went on to college, but youngest grandaughter that has the ability to go if she chooses to, she got bit by someone's dog, when she was 2 years old, & there was a insurance settlement for her, that will more than pay for her college,  she also has the drive she would need to finish it.  There people that make a decent living without one, but they are generally hard workers & put in alot of hours to get ahead. PD

Edited by Proud Dad

It isn't always possible to insure there will be a demand for your chosen field by the time you get there. Look at all the computer programming students in the early 80's. By the time they hit the workforce, some bonehead had invented Windows, and they were mostly obsolete.

I have a BA. along with at the time student loan debt but it was only 1.7% and a government loan.  what goes on these days is criminal

going to college is NO guarantee.  learning a trade, like blacksmith, podiatrist, plumber, something really useful that will never go away.  how about mortuary science?  i'm not kidding--steady work. 

Podiatrist takes at least 8 years of college. Just saying!

My youngest son went to college and now is a truck driver. My oldest son did not go to college and he has worked his way up to Vice President of successful company. Go figure!

Howdy!

The colleges & universities are absolutely insane cost-wise now.  I personally never agreed with all the BS "filler" classes you had to take to get a degree.  They had zero to do with your area of interest.  I call money racket on all that.

My son looked at technical institutes for computer programming.  Everything from community colleges to ITT to Full Sail.  That ran the entire graph cost wise.  He chose to go to a community college with an 18 month program.  When he graduated some reps from a very big company came and invited him to come try them out...paid his moving expenses, move-in cost of living and full benefits along with wages.  Things worked out quite well for him with this company and he's been with them since 2006, is the highest level within the company and is a cloud architect now for them.  They've taken very good care of him....tons of perks...he's traveled the world & is very successful at what he does.  The best part is that he really enjoys what he does....whatever the **** a "cloud architect" does...LOL!!  All I know is it's pretty handy having him hook mamabear up when these silly boxes act up!

His college debt was just under $20k and $4k of that he used to build his own computer.  He worked part time and he actually still likes Ramen.  The kid knew what he wanted and he went for it.  I told him a long time ago, just do what you love....be it a hairdresser, a circus clown, a carpenter....didn't matter to me cause it wasn't my life, it was his.  I really believe if parents would support the kid's interests and not their own in so many cases, it would make a major difference.  There are alot of very bright, inspired young people out there....they just need some acceptance & support in their aspirations...not barked at and beat down.

So few of them seem to aspire to much of anything these days...... They expect a big paycheck without the skills to actually earn it.

7 hours ago, noponies said:

So few of them seem to aspire to much of anything these days...... They expect a big paycheck without the skills to actually earn it.

This. 

My 18 yr old is my fluffy little marshmallow, & I love him to pieces. But he's got the motivation and focus of a rock. He could have had a scholarship for the Rodeo team, too lazy to do the footwork. He's 18, not my job to fill out forms for him. He took the ASVAB for military, had recruiters wanting him, never followed through. (Anyone know if I can have them come get him? LOL!) Now he wants to go be a livestock inspector for the State of Texas. Feels he can do it because he had ag classes in high school and has worked with cows most of his life, and and of course has ridden most of it as well. I asked him if he was aware of any SPECIFIC livestock laws in this state. His answer was, "Um, like, you gotta feed them?"

:duh:

So for now, he works at the same place I do, as a laborer. He's bored. He whines at home. I've told him to go find his own life if he's so unhappy, but to stop whining in my house. (Didn't work, he still whines, & it's my fault, I've let him get away with it.)

Red, sometimes you have to cut them loose! I raised two boys. The oldest didn't want to go to college. He wanted to run around. I took him to the employment office and told him to get a friggin job. He is the Vice-president of a company now. The youngest was even slower to grow up. I paid for 2 years of college and he didn't take it seriously so I cut him off. He has a good paying job now. If I hadn't cut them off, I would still have to support them! I hated treating them like that but being a single mom, I had to. My boys are both doing better than I had predicted!

14 hours ago, Danyel said:

Red, sometimes you have to cut them loose! I raised two boys. The oldest didn't want to go to college. He wanted to run around. I took him to the employment office and told him to get a friggin job. He is the Vice-president of a company now. The youngest was even slower to grow up. I paid for 2 years of college and he didn't take it seriously so I cut him off. He has a good paying job now. If I hadn't cut them off, I would still have to support them! I hated treating them like that but being a single mom, I had to. My boys are both doing better than I had predicted!

I know I do, & that's the hard part... spent most of his childhood in a custody battle with his dad, I finally get him moved down here almost 2 years ago, & he's feeding off my issues.  *I* need to get him off the ****, lol!

Questions like this fascinate me because it's interesting to see how my views have changed since having my daughter. Kids really do change you!

I was totally pro college when I was in high school (I'm 31 now, for reference). Then, when I got to college and started taking the classes... I realized what a waste of my time it was. I dropped out and started my own business. Later on, I tried to get a job with a "real" company due to cost of benefits spiraling out of control. Guess what? All of my experience didn't matter because companies around here only hire people with an AA degree or better. So back to school I went to finish off that darn AA degree. I had 2 gym classes, photography, and mythology...that was all I needed to complete my degree. Please tell me how those classes helped me in the real world x.x (I do still occasionally pursue photography as a hobby, so it's not a total loss!)

My little girl is nearly 10 months old, and I've been wrestling with the idea of whether or not college is worth it for her. First and foremost, I do want to keep in mind that it's really up to her what she does. I'm on the fence otherwise, though. I would hope she'd go for at least a semester to "away" school where she doesn't live at home. I went to a community college and lived at home, and I feel like I really missed out on the socializing and networking that happens at college. BUT THE MONEY!!!! I don't want her saddled with debt either!

The world changes so much in 18 years that I think this will work itself out by the time she's ready for college. Whether or not we have more kids will play into this, too, I'm sure!

I don't have kids, so maybe I should not give my input on the subject. But I was an educator, so I will. The problem is, the profit motive has made college costs unaffordable to many. And in our country, that is inexcusable. The problem began not that many years ago when college became an industry. When I see pictures of dorm rooms today and the amenities available on college campuses, I don't see places of learning. I see  a shameful play for money. The dumbed down college courses available are offered to keep the money flowing. Compare the cost of a four year degree today to the cost thirty years ago. Even adjusted for inflation, the discrepancy is shameful.

The other part of the equation is the student loan industry. These loans should be affordable. And the amount of debt incurred by a college graduate drives the cost of professional services. Everybody knows that medical costs have soared partly because of the amount of debt necessary for the professional degrees. And that holds true for many professions. It has also led to a shortage of professionals in some industries, which further inflates cost of services.

I feel sorry for today's students and parents who really want to pursue a degree. It's a real conundrum. I suppose the situation might resolve itself when enough students choose not to pursue a degree and the profiteers desert the colleges. But that would be a real blow  to the future of the country.

General college should cost the same as high school, and actually teach something. Preferably something useful. Those who want to go on for advanced degrees, such as medical, can pay the balance for that part.

Quoting Red Green....if they can't find ya handsome, atleast they can find ya handy.  Learn a skill, a trade, a something. Nobody rides for free and that is the **** truth.  I do feel for you mothers but it's called TUFFLOVE and it works...why...because it's pure, true love when you shove that babybear out the cave and make em hunt.  Period.

college has a place for those who want to do something useful like accounting, logistics, chemistry, any of the sciences (or job nobody else wants to do).      I got a BA which was worth zilch when it came to the job market.  I was an Asian studies major and wound up working for 11 years as on oil lobbyist.  learn a trade.  you might still find yourself in debt but you'll find yourself work quicker than with a college degree.