noponies

Lift the slaughter ban?

I think horse slaughter is a necessary evil.

I don't like it, but, I don't like the suffering some horses endure, either, slaughter is an end to what is sometimes, a miserable existance.

2 hours ago, noponies said:

You don't think planning for agricultural funding is important? You EAT, don't you?

How will horse slaughter provide agricultural funding? Or do you think horses will be bred for slaughter?  I won't be eating horse meat. I guess some government legislators will reap some campaign contributions for passing the bill. Is that what you meant by funding?

I live in a very agricultural area. There are grain and tobacco farmers here who make big bucks growing crops that do nothing toward feeding people. The grain is sold for ethanol or whiskey and tobacco isn't food. The farmer next door has taken over a million dollars in government subsidies and has never fed anyone with his crops. 

Think about it. Who will horse slaughter enrich? Slaughter houses and killer sellers. It will just be a convenience for people to get rid of horses they never should have owned in the first place. Like the people who get tired of taking care of a dog, so they dump them out on the road. If you can't be bothered to find a decent buyer for a horse, or you can't afford to bury one which needs to be put down, then you shouldn't own it in the first place. Stepping down from the soapbox now.

I did read the article. The ban on horse slaughter has been lifted as part of the Ag spending bill. That will do nothing to reduce Ag spending, as now the govt. will have to supply slaughter house inspectors. And nothing is being done to help small farmers. The Ag laws are stacked against them. Your original question was what do we think. I think exactly what I said.

On the other hand jubal, if they get those 40,000+ mustangs in holding off the feed bill, that money could be used elsewhere. 

I am pro slaughter, always have been, so I see this as a step in the right direction. If slaughter becomes available for equines, it will boost the value of them. A lot of rescues and the free to good home stuff will go away as well as people keeping them until they are starving then dumping them in my pasture because they have no other options.

This a no win issue, as there are many different thoughts on slaughter, but as been said many times before, it is a necessary evil.  The kill market still exists & always will, so much better to lift the ban.  I don't agree with raising horses just for slaughter, but we can't control what other do with do with their property. PD

On 7/14/2017 at 7:54 PM, equicrzy said:

I think horse slaughter is a necessary evil.

I don't like it, but, I don't like the suffering some horses endure, either, slaughter is an end to what is sometimes, a miserable existance.

Agreed.

HUGE FAN!!!!!!!!  Humanely (for the horses, not so much on the human end...) done it has a purpose to serve...just like capitol punishment.  I'd pass on eating say...that old black mare that wanted to screw me in the ground non-stop or some POS child ped....the rest I'd take a bite if I was starving in a world flooded with piss.  My 2 cents.

When it gets down to the dirty carpet tacks......food is food. Too many starving people to ignore it.  Like India and its starving people while sacred cows roam the streets. Makes no real sense.

Hey noponies.  Ever actually been to India and seen the "sacred cows"?.    They're starving TOO.  A strong belief in population control, NOT in the seas but on land would be a start to addressing the cause as opposed to all these tragic symptoms.

The head of the Department of the Interior is already selling out national forests to commercial interests and public lands to fracking, mining, and everything else.  He is raising the rates on visiting many of the National Parks, oh , and slaughtering all the wild horses and burros in holding pens.  It's so he can clear the land of 'excess' horses for fracking, mining, etc... (cattle grazing has very little to do with it). 

What would you all rather see on public lands that you own?  Wild horses, or fracking and strip mining?   It's our land and it should be our decision.  The Wild Horse Act has been law for many, many years.  It has been weakened over the years until now when it's finally neutralized entirely.  The public voted for that law, so why should we allow feds to dismiss it without our consent?   I don't know what the solution is, but the wild horses have been squeezed into smaller and smaller portions due to commercial mining, fracking, oil drilling, etc...all without public consent.  If we want it altered, we should have a say.  We also need to know where the money is going.  If commercial interests are making money off public land, where is our cut?  Where does it go?  The ranchers don't make nearly enough to share, but the fracking?  

Edited by little cow

Well, the days of the wild horses could be coming to an end. The new bill, if it gets passed, will cut millions of dollars from the budget for wild horses. They could be soon, slaughtering them by the thousands.

1 hour ago, little cow said:

The head of the Department of the Interior is already selling out national forests to commercial interests and public lands to fracking, mining, and everything else.  He is raising the rates on visiting many of the National Parks, oh , and slaughtering all the wild horses and burros in holding pens.  It's so he can clear the land of 'excess' horses for fracking, mining, etc... (cattle grazing has very little to do with it). 

What would you all rather see on public lands that you own?  Wild horses, or fracking and strip mining?   It's our land and it should be our decision.  The Wild Horse Act has been law for many, many years.  It has been weakened over the years until now when it's finally neutralized entirely.  The public voted for that law, so why should we allow feds to dismiss it without our consent?   I don't know what the solution is, but the wild horses have been squeezed into smaller and smaller portions due to commercial mining, fracking, oil drilling, etc...all without public consent.  If we want it altered, we should have a say.  We also need to know where the money is going.  If commercial interests are making money off public land, where is our cut?  Where does it go?  The ranchers don't make nearly enough to share, but the fracking?  

It is unfortunate when public land rights is being sold to the highest bidder,  I understand productive measures to improve public land, but to destroy it for future use, for years to come, is totally different matter. PD

Zinke isn't in the good graces of Congress right now. First the private plane rides and then the two-employee utility company he hired to fix Puerto Rico's grid. So maybe, this will be delayed. Or maybe, he'll be asked to resign. Or maybe Santa will bring us a new president.

That's the Health guy that did the plane ride....but the Montana thing wouldn't surprise me...he hails from Montana.  Not sure why he hates wild horses so much.  Maybe one bit him when he was a kid and stole his lunch money.

My religion forbids me from wishing ill on others, but I think I can get away with wishing our dear president were kidnapped by aliens for the next three and half years and then returned unharmed to his family after his term expires.  

Edited by little cow

1 hour ago, little cow said:

That's the Health guy that did the plane ride....but the Montana thing wouldn't surprise me...he hails from Montana.  Not sure why he hates wild horses so much.  Maybe one bit him when he was a kid and stole his lunch money.

My religion forbids me from wishing ill on others, but I think I can get away with wishing our dear president were kidnapped by aliens for the next three and half years and then returned unharmed to his family after his term expires.  

The Montana ranchers don't like wild horses because, they graze on the same grass that their cows do......they see them as nuisances..... judging from the one I heard earlier, they wouldn't bat an eye if whole herds were shot.....that guy has probably done it himself.

It's funny how the animosity of ranchers towards wild horses is all the media talks about when the corporate interests are using much more of public land.  I guess ranchers know they can't fight corporations.  

Jubal, thanks for the link.  I am very much not impressed with whom Trump hires.  The fact that he even considered Merino for Health Secretary after the opioid scandal boggles the mind.  He picks the people that most oppose what they are in charge of protecting (EPA, Dept of Interior, Health...).  It makes no sense.

He picks the people that most oppose what they are in charge of protecting (EPA, Dept of Interior, Health...).  It makes no sense.

•  

Yeah, kind of like choosing a dog to protect the sheep, instead of another sheep.

2 hours ago, little cow said:

It's funny how the animosity of ranchers towards wild horses is all the media talks about when the corporate interests are using much more of public land.  I guess ranchers know they can't fight corporations.  

Jubal, thanks for the link.  I am very much not impressed with whom Trump hires.  The fact that he even considered Merino for Health Secretary after the opioid scandal boggles the mind.  He picks the people that most oppose what they are in charge of protecting (EPA, Dept of Interior, Health...).  It makes no sense.

It makes sense if you want to dismantle the Federal Government. His choices are doing an excellent job of that. Look what Tillerson has done to State. 

1 hour ago, noponies said:

Yeah, kind of like choosing a dog to protect the sheep, instead of another sheep.

I don't get the analogy here. Dogs are routinely chosen to protect sheep and are very effective at it. Are you saying sheep were formerly in charge? Or do you think Trump's picks are not dismantling the agencies they lead?

I'm fine with horse slaughter, but I also know why people want them killed off. They complain that horses are not native and damage the ecosystem but neither are the cattle that are grazing on the land. Some say that the horses have fit in well to the ecosystem and it's the cattle and sheep that do more harm. I'm not sure either way but I do believe it is more about protecting cattle ranchers than it is about protecting the ecosystem. 

The cattle aren't allowed on full-time either, nor in certain areas. No one can regulate where the horses go. Also, those with cattle leases are required to maintain water sources. Horses don't do that either. Horses eat vegetation down to the dirt when not managed, and even pull roots. Cattle don't.

I think the bottom line is that is is our public land and we should have a say in what grazes on it.  However, the overgrazing, whether by cattle or horses, pales when compared to the permanent damage done by fracking, strip mining, oil drilling, deforestation, etc...  We need a say in how much of that goes on, not just on public lands, but Trump opened up more of National Forests to commercial exploitation!  This is our land and we should be fighting mad over having no say on what happens to it.  

Edited by little cow