noponies

Lift the slaughter ban?

You don't think planning for agricultural funding is important? You EAT, don't you?

I think horse slaughter is a necessary evil.

I don't like it, but, I don't like the suffering some horses endure, either, slaughter is an end to what is sometimes, a miserable existance.

2 hours ago, noponies said:

You don't think planning for agricultural funding is important? You EAT, don't you?

How will horse slaughter provide agricultural funding? Or do you think horses will be bred for slaughter?  I won't be eating horse meat. I guess some government legislators will reap some campaign contributions for passing the bill. Is that what you meant by funding?

I live in a very agricultural area. There are grain and tobacco farmers here who make big bucks growing crops that do nothing toward feeding people. The grain is sold for ethanol or whiskey and tobacco isn't food. The farmer next door has taken over a million dollars in government subsidies and has never fed anyone with his crops. 

Think about it. Who will horse slaughter enrich? Slaughter houses and killer sellers. It will just be a convenience for people to get rid of horses they never should have owned in the first place. Like the people who get tired of taking care of a dog, so they dump them out on the road. If you can't be bothered to find a decent buyer for a horse, or you can't afford to bury one which needs to be put down, then you shouldn't own it in the first place. Stepping down from the soapbox now.

If you had actually read it, the article would have explained that. It is  part of an ag funding bill.

I did read the article. The ban on horse slaughter has been lifted as part of the Ag spending bill. That will do nothing to reduce Ag spending, as now the govt. will have to supply slaughter house inspectors. And nothing is being done to help small farmers. The Ag laws are stacked against them. Your original question was what do we think. I think exactly what I said.

On the other hand jubal, if they get those 40,000+ mustangs in holding off the feed bill, that money could be used elsewhere. 

I am pro slaughter, always have been, so I see this as a step in the right direction. If slaughter becomes available for equines, it will boost the value of them. A lot of rescues and the free to good home stuff will go away as well as people keeping them until they are starving then dumping them in my pasture because they have no other options.

This a no win issue, as there are many different thoughts on slaughter, but as been said many times before, it is a necessary evil.  The kill market still exists & always will, so much better to lift the ban.  I don't agree with raising horses just for slaughter, but we can't control what other do with do with their property. PD

On 7/14/2017 at 7:54 PM, equicrzy said:

I think horse slaughter is a necessary evil.

I don't like it, but, I don't like the suffering some horses endure, either, slaughter is an end to what is sometimes, a miserable existance.

Agreed.

HUGE FAN!!!!!!!!  Humanely (for the horses, not so much on the human end...) done it has a purpose to serve...just like capitol punishment.  I'd pass on eating say...that old black mare that wanted to screw me in the ground non-stop or some POS child ped....the rest I'd take a bite if I was starving in a world flooded with piss.  My 2 cents.

When it gets down to the dirty carpet tacks......food is food. Too many starving people to ignore it.  Like India and its starving people while sacred cows roam the streets. Makes no real sense.

Hey noponies.  Ever actually been to India and seen the "sacred cows"?.    They're starving TOO.  A strong belief in population control, NOT in the seas but on land would be a start to addressing the cause as opposed to all these tragic symptoms.