Sign in to follow this  
equicrzy

The puppies are born!

A few days early.  The breeder emailed me last night that the female was in labor.  The last email said there are 7 pups.  I don't know how many of them are males, which is what I want, but, there has to be at least 4, for me to get one from this litter, that's how many people requested males.

The breeder said, she was going to do a count and, let everyone know this morning.....she didn't want to upset the mother by handling the pups right then, since it's her first litter.

Fingers crossed for at least 4 males!

52 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

It will be a bonus.  6 males 1 female in the litter.

You have got to be excited about getting your new pup.

Haha, yeah, I'm hoping for more males than females, I like the 6 to one ratio.

She said mama was being a little too protective and not letting her reach in and handle the pups.

Hoping to hear from her soon, the suspense is killing me!

Hmm, Michael Jackson's birthday, and the second landfall of Hurricane Katrina. Could be an interesting personality.

equicrzy,   Neat that pups are here, & I hope there is enough males to go around.  But what breed are these pups?  I remember now, that you recently had to put down a older dog, so I put this pup will fill the bill.  Best Wishes.  PD

They're German Shepherds. Yes, we had to put down our Shepherd last month, due to 'Degenerative Myelopathy'.

This pup isn't meant to replace, but, to fill a void. I'm sure he'll fit in here just fine,  we're all a little nutty over here, anyway.......lol.

The more time that goes by, without a word, the more pissed I'm becoming.

Am I being unreasonable? She said, last night, she'd send out emails to everyone who has a deposit on a puppy, how many males/females.....said she'd do it this morning.  It's 2 pm here and, no word.

I'm getting ready to send her a not so nice email, I've already sent a very nice one, just wanting to know if I at least will get a pup. 

Am I being unreasonable?

You are being unreasonable.  

Keep in mind that you are on a stand-by list for a male puppy and your place in line is pretty far back.  She stated she didn't want to upset the first-time mamma dog by handling puppies right away and she further stated the mamma dog was being protective so she was backing off to keep the mamma dog comfortable.  

Hold your horses and do NOT send her a not-so-nice email unless you do not want a puppy from this breeder.  Ever.

Well, now, I understand all of that, but, she said she'd determine the puppy's sexes this morning, when the Mama dog went out to "do her business." 

I expected at the very least, an email keeping me up to date on what's going on, even a, "hey, got busy here, will let you know something soon,"  would be better than nothing at all.

I don't think it's too much to ask, if there ARE 4 males, that way, I know if I'm getting one this time.  I don't think it matters how far down the list I am, I still need/want/deserve to know if there are enough pups to cover the deposits.

5 minutes ago, noponies said:

You really do need to unwind....

I'm not a very patient person, never have been, add to it, a person saying they're gonna do something, at a certain point in time and, not doing it......

.... I don't think it's too much to ask, to be told something, anything, since I have just as much invested in this, as the person who is number one on the list.

If you are that short on patience, how are you going to handle a puppy? Last I knew, they required a good deal of it.

20 minutes ago, noponies said:

If you are that short on patience, how are you going to handle a puppy? Last I knew, they required a good deal of it.

Two different situations. This isn't my first rodeo.  I've had puppies for the past 40 years.

Slow your roll.  I understand you are excited and anxious to know if you're getting a puppy, but if you've had puppies for the past 40yrs then you surely know **** happens.  First-time mamma dogs and early deliveries can make for unpredictable circumstances and people, especially animal breeders, can get busy in their personal lives.  If they are too busy to let people know the genders and how they sit on their status of receiving a puppy from this litter, they are too busy to say they're too busy.

Were I this breeder, I wouldn't have told anyone ANYTHING until I knew what the litter contained.  That would have circumvented anyone getting antsy and trying to put a burr under my saddle blanket when I wasn't able to fulfill a timeline I initially stated.

Consider it a courtesy you know the litter birthed.  You have let her know how interested you are (earlier email) now just be patient until she is able to get things done and notify people.

I just had a very nice conversation with the breeder, Sylvia, she called me because in my email I expressed concern in not hearing from her.

We must have talked for 15 minutes,  a very nice lady, with a lot on her plate. In addition to this new litter, she has 4 other puppies of varying ages, a few adult dogs, in addition to the adult dogs she breeds.

I expressed my concerns and, she actually laughed and said, "that's ok, you weren't the only one shooting me emails."

Apparently, so were the others on the list.

Everything is fine, she's going to check the sexes, probably tonight. Mama was still not going for it this morning.

Heidi....... always the voice of reason.....lol

Edited by equicrzy

13 minutes ago, noponies said:

Yeah. :ph34r:

I learned a long time ago, if you need good, solid advice, Heidi will give it to you........or, a kick in the pants......lol

Edited by equicrzy

Glad you were able to talk to the breeder. Sure hope one of the pups will be yours.

11 minutes ago, Danyel said:

Glad you were able to talk to the breeder. Sure hope one of the pups will be yours.

Yeah, I'm hard headed and, impatient when it comes to things like this, so, I'm glad she called and we were able to talk it out.

Now I kinda hope some of the earlier callers were buttheads and if there aren't enough male puppies, that she 'fibs' a bit to one of the others who hounded her so you can get your male!

I was afraid the mamma dog would remain over-protective and prevent her from sexing the litter.

12 minutes ago, Heidi n Q said:

Now I kinda hope some of the earlier callers were buttheads and if there aren't enough male puppies, that she 'fibs' a bit to one of the others who hounded her so you can get your male!

I was afraid the mamma dog would remain over-protective and prevent her from sexing the litter.

Yes, that would be nice!  Not gonna happen, but, it would be nice.

I really wouldn't have sent a not so nice email, I was thinking about it, though.....I'm glad I didn't.

My husband was telling me, " calm down, there could be a lot of reasons she isn't getting back to you."

He deals with people better than I do.

14 hours ago, equicrzy said:

I really wouldn't have sent a not so nice email, I was thinking about it, though.....I'm glad I didn't.

Oh, I totally get this!  

I get all worked up in my head and get it out of my system (usually, I'm not always successful) before I actually step forward with whatever I wish to say.

My husband was telling me, " calm down, there could be a lot of reasons she isn't getting back to you."

And just SOMETIMES the hubby is actually right........

9 minutes ago, noponies said:

And just SOMETIMES the hubby is actually right........

Lol.....you are right...

I still have not heard from the breeder on male to female ratio. 

This  woman is trying what little patience I do have .

But, since she's being so nice, I'll bite my tongue...... well, sit on my hands.

Question.....how long, is too long, to wait for a simple statement........there are "this" many males and, "this" many females?

Seriously, how long would you wait? All I want to know, is, am I going to be one of the lucky ones and, get a freakin' puppy!

I know, I am no longer being unreasonable. That woman has had plenty of time to determine the sexes of 7 puppies.

I would wait to hear from her. Since she took the time to call you, maybe she is trying to figure out a way for you to get a male pup. 

When I go into a situation like this I keep the mentality of "If I do I do. If I don't I don't"  That way if the news isn't what you want no major skin of your back.  Should the news be in your favor GREAT! 

28 minutes ago, Danyel said:

I would wait to hear from her. Since she took the time to call you, maybe she is trying to figure out a way for you to get a male pup. 

I realized, I have never dealt directly with the breeder, so, it could be, this is standard practice........ what keeps bugging me, though, just nagging at me, is....... hasn't that darn Mama dog peed or pooped since Saturday night?  Wouldn't that be the perfect time to sex the puppies?