Sign in to follow this  
equicrzy

The puppies are born!

5 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

What dog in the pic.  He looks like he is trying to blend in with the furniture.

Have no more suggestions for the chomping that hasn't already been said.

He does blend in, he's the same color as the furniture and walls.

1 hour ago, RailroadWoman said:

All the better to ambush.  Oh Mom can't see me chew her favorite brush.

Favorite brush?  Shoes, towels, the broom, husband's boots,   bed headband, my pillow, the rugs, the wood for the stove, chair cushions.....get the picture?  Lol...

19 minutes ago, Danyel said:

He is just beautiful! Mine are 2 and 5. I hardly remember the puppy stage!! Ha!

I'm looking forward to the puppy stage being a distant memory.

It won't take long, Equicrzy! They do out grow it fast. But I did enjoy them at puppies. Everything was so exciting and new to them.

13 minutes ago, Danyel said:

It won't take long, Equicrzy! They do out grow it fast. But I did enjoy them at puppies. Everything was so exciting and new to them.

Haha....right now grasshoppers are the big deal and, the moths that flutter around on the porch when the porch light is on.

I enjoy the puppy stage, I just like for it to end, even more.

I'm transitioning him from, on the bed with me, to, right beside the bed, on his own bed....he does sometimes sleep part of the night beside the bed, so, I'm hoping for a smooth transition.

I'm getting more sleep now, he's sleeping longer, so, I've been able to get the house cleaned....it's hard to sweep/mop, with a puppy trying to 'help', I can get it done now, because he is OK with staying outside longer.

Equicrzy, my 5 year old Brussels Griffon still helps me vacuum. He stands in the way!! The Jack Russell doesn't trust the vacuum! Good luck cleaning house!

30 minutes ago, Danyel said:

Equicrzy, my 5 year old Brussels Griffon still helps me vacuum. He stands in the way!! The Jack Russell doesn't trust the vacuum! Good luck cleaning house!

Just from the little I can see of your avatar, you look like someone I used to know.

9 minutes ago, equicrzy said:

Just from the little I can see of your avatar, you look like someone I used to know.

I don't know, Equicrzy. I've moved a lot in my lifetime. Illinois, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Southern California, and Oklahoma. I live in NE Oklahoma now.

15 minutes ago, Danyel said:

I don't know, Equicrzy. I've moved a lot in my lifetime. Illinois, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Southern California, and Oklahoma. I live in NE Oklahoma now.

I've never lived in any of those places.  You just resemble a woman I worked with in Tucson.

On 10/25/2017 at 3:21 PM, equicrzy said:

Lol....my husband's arms look like he was wearing a barbed wire shirt!  I've tried everything you've mentioned, to no avail, I've been consistent, too, he's a very defiant 3 month old now and, he just barks at me and jumps all around me, jumping up and grabbing my pant legs, as high up as thigh level, getting skin, too..... I call him the land shark, my husband calls him, the chainsaw.

We're trying a training color, a good one that was researched and has good reviews, it'll only be used to stop the biting.... It's the kind that you can first administrator a high pitch noise, then, if that doesn't work, a pulse sensation, the last resort would be the little zap....we WILL read up on it and, make sure we know how to use it beforehand...... we're kinda desperate, my husband has blood running down his arm on most days.

Other than that, he's a great pup!  Really, he's sweet and  seems pretty smart, he'll follow us all around the property and, he comes when he's called.

Nothing wrong with a training collar. I used one with my Dalmatian to stop him from barking after telling him to stop. We only needed it when we took him trail riding with us and then only used it for two trips. He is rock solid about it now without the collar.

6 hours ago, noponies said:

Or you could do what a good canine mom would do, and grab him by the throat and roll him on his back and pin him.

This only works with some dogs and in some circumstances. It will escalate the behavior in some and will cause others to retreat and become extremely submissive. Timing and technique have to be almost perfect for this to be successful. Not for the faint of heart and should not be employed without supervision form someone that knows what they are doing at first. 

5 hours ago, equicrzy said:

5 hours ago, equicrzy said:

What has been working really well, is, ignoring him.

It's so simple, as long as I'm 'argueing' with him, I'm validating his behavior, if I calmly say 'no' and walk away, ignore, stop fighting him, then, don't look at him, completely ignore him, he's like, WTH!

As long as I was raising my voice and, engaging in combat, he was thinking I was playing and, his behavior was ok.

He hasn't bitten me all morning. I distract him too, with walks and, chew toys that are acceptable to chew on.

Nice! They get so attached and want to please so they don't like to not be acknowledged. Good job figuring out what to do. They are all different for sure. He is a lovely boy.

Pistol is 4 months old today, we've had him 2 months now.

Yesterday, we had to go to Albuquerque for my husband's procedure, he has his trial spinal stimulator put in.  We debated taking Pistol, but, he doesn't like riding, it kinda stresses him out, plus, I didn't like the idea of him being in the car that long, so, we decided to leave him home.

I went through the house, putting things he could chew, out of reach, left food and water and, crossed my fingers.

We were gone from 7:30 to 3:30.  Got home, opened the back door, called him and, he came running out, down the steps and, immediately started peeing. He was so happy to see us, spinning in circles and, peeing.

I went in the house, expecting to see puddles and, piles.......there was nothing and, nothing destroyed/chewed......he had held it that long.

I don't like him having to go that long, but, at least I know we can go out for a few hours and not worry.

He will now go to the door and whine when he needs to go out.  But, sometimes he doesn't go all the way down to the yard, but, goes on the deck, still, better than going in the house, right?

We've never had a German bred Shepherd before, I mean, the ones that are lower In the hind  end..... know what I mean?  I knew, when we saw the parents, the puppies were that type, but, we fell in love with this guy and, figured it didn't matter, but, he looks weird to me and, I'm thinking, there will be some hip issues down the road.......he actually moves differently than the other Shepherds we've had..    I guess, I'm just not used to rhis type.

He sure is growing like a weed, I swear, he looks bigger every day. When he got his last shots two weeks ago, he was just over 36 pounds.

Edited by equicrzy

9 hours ago, Jan Griffiths said:

Pistol is indeed growing up fast.  Have his hips been checked?   How about his parents' hips?  I'd have it done as soon as your vet recommends having it done.

We haven't had his hips checked, the breeder gave a one year guarantee on genetic hip problems.    I didn't even think  of it, actually, but since you mention it, it would be a good idea to have it done, when I take him to be neutered, I'll ask about having his hips x-rayed.