Sign in to follow this  
equicrzy

The puppies are born!

Pistol doesn't like to ride.....at all....he did get car sick once, when he was younger, not since, but, he just doesn't like it.  I've not had a dog yet, that didn't want to jump in the car.... pistol runs and hides when I open the back door and say, "c'mon, wanna go for a ride?"   We've taken him to town twice, I think, he rides well, doesn't make a sound, just lies on the floor in the back, I put a blanket back there for him.....my husband's truck has a nice size back seat area.

I kinda want him to WANT to go places with me.....darn it!

Take him in the car but don't drive anywhere.  Take a small bag of his favorite meat to feed.  That way he associates the car with treats.  Then after a bit drive a short distance while feeding the treat.  This generally does the trick.  Another way I've found work especially if you are able to get him excited is make a game.  Run around get him going with a fun voice so he will follow you into the truck.  Then have him chase you out.

With Odie he is so big he can't always just step up in.  So I have to circle him around & get him into a slight ran for momentum.

Our Mickey would get car sick.  Mostly in the spring because we didn't go much in the winter.  So always kept a clean up kit in the trunk. Found with her she only liked ham.  It worked.

9 hours ago, equicrzy said:

I was going to ask you if you had a recent picture of Duke.....and, here he is!  He's adorable!  Is he in the tub? He doesn't look too happy....lol..  Pistol needs a bath, I'm not looking forward to it, the last time, he wasn't too cooperative.

He hates bath time, but we are having issues with itchy ness, and very oily stinky fur. I bought the tub anchors that have a suction cup, so he can be tied in the tub. I’ve never had a stinky dog before. 

He is still extremely lean. He gets 5-6 cups of food a day and rarely finishes it all. I can’t wait for him to fill out a bit. 

3 hours ago, horsecrazybvh said:

He hates bath time, but we are having issues with itchy ness, and very oily stinky fur. I bought the tub anchors that have a suction cup, so he can be tied in the tub. I’ve never had a stinky dog before. 

He is still extremely lean. He gets 5-6 cups of food a day and rarely finishes it all. I can’t wait for him to fill out a bit. 

I would try Selsun Blue shampoo on him. Vets recommend it for helping with oily, itchy dogs.

4 hours ago, horsecrazybvh said:

What are you feeding him? Some foods do that

4 hours ago, noponies said:

What are you feeding him? Some foods do that

We were feeding eagle pack, which my other dogs do great on, but I just switched him to simply nourish grain free. I’m usually not a grain free feeder, but figured I would give it a whirl and see if it helps. I really like the simply nourish line too. I’ve never had icky stinky dog before. He already seems to be much less itchy, so hopefully this does the trick! 

39 minutes ago, horsecrazybvh said:

Hey equi, you need to get pistol one of these! It was like $25 at Costco. Duke is in heaven 19B3F938-97D3-4F50-8C6D-6E405C7F9783.thumb.jpeg.1fa1235206bdbd5f560f5fb59ee73769.jpeg

I got Pistol the  square one, pillow top....it's next to the bed, he knows when I'm going to bed and, he runs in there and lies down. 

Duke seems to really like his bed, Pistol prefers to lie on the bare floor, because it feels cool.

Thanks!  We had to reinforce the pasture fence that runs along the back of the barn, because, Pistol was getting in from there, put up the non climb.

Great, but, we didn't think he could still go under the drive through gate, the one that goes directly into the pasture.  He can..... found him out there, after he had chased Abby for a few seconds....my husband saw him just as he stopped chasing.... Abby just turns and sniffs him, I'm surprised she hasn't kicked him

Anyway, the horses are becoming less interesting to him.... thank God..... I still don't want him out there, for obvious reasons, there's one more section of wire, we need to replace with the non climb, do something about that gate and, he shouldn't be able to get in there anymore.

equinitis....... didn't you find a Shepherd puppy a while back?  How did that work out?

Pistol did my husband proud yesterday, when he raised his hair and, barked his big dog bark, at the FedEx guy who was suddenly on the front porch with a package......he was like....YEAH, now that's better!

42 minutes ago, Heidi n Q said:

He looks beautiful.

Thanks!   Bought him a jolly ball, because he found the old one that belonged to Loki ( the one before Chopper ) that was flat and, had the handle torn off and, he absolutely loves that one, I got him a new one.

I had stretched out the water hose, after watering the horses and, walked the one end up the hill to drain, I was walking back and, Pistol passed me, with the end of the hose....he took it back down the hill.....he helps out like that a LOT.

2 hours ago, equicrzy said:

I had stretched out the water hose, after watering the horses and, walked the one end up the hill to drain, I was walking back and, Pistol passed me, with the end of the hose....he took it back down the hill.....he helps out like that a LOT.

*bursts out laughing*

Pups are so helpful all of the time! I had some trouble with my Dalmatian and my chickens. I finally convinced him he is not allowed to "play" with them so now he just casually (not on purpose or anything) romps right through the middle of them every chance he gets. 

He doesn't even look at them when he does it so he couldn't possibly be doing it on purpose just to see them flap around and yell chicken curses. 

He tries to do the same thing to my mini donkey but Ginormous give chase and does not seem to be playing!

He's not big.  The house is shrinking & giving the appearance of him being a big boy.

My guess is he will start to level out on the growing but around 3yr old will then fill out.  Odie being a big breed that is what he did but filled out at about 4yrs.

I just love how handsome Pistol is.

Thanks guys.....he is awkward, though, he constantly trips over his own feet.

I think we're gonna need a bigger house....

Equi how is your boy doing?  

Seeing the pics  & reading you stories of Pistol makes me want a GSD.  Sadly the bond of pack I create I'd fear having one would potentionally take a limb of someone they would see as a threat.  Biggest prob is that it would go to work all the time

Pistol is doing just fine...the usual PITA, combined with sweet puppy...you know.

My son was here last week because my husband had back surgery, he came to help out.... Pistol is not used to people, being we live way out here and he doesn't get to see anyone.

We didn't hear Bryan (son) drive up and he walks in the front door... Pistol ran at him, barking and growling.

Long story short, it didn't take long before Pistol and Bryan were best buds... anyone who throws sticks for him, becomes his friend.....now, we need to get the FedEx and, ups people to throw a few sticks.... Pistol still doesn't look at them too favorably.

Edited by equicrzy

A Pistol update.

Has anyone ever had a dog who liked to bite the tires of moving vehicles?

Anything that has wheels and moves, he's right there, biting the tires.

It's no problem with my garden cart, he can't really get hurt...it's just irritating, having a dog latched onto the tire as I'm trying to pull the cart around.

Now, he does the same thing with the tractor, as soon as my husband starts it up, Pistol is right there, when the tractor starts moving forward, he's biting the tires, he holds on, not letting go, my husband always stops, of course, but, it's quite possible for Pistol to get himself run over.

Put the training collar on him?  Give him a jolt every time he goes for the tire?  I think....yes...

I would use the training collar. Some people wouldn't agree but that is dangerous. He will learn quick. The only time I spanked my boys was when they did something dangerous after being warned not to.

We need a picture of Pistol!!!!!!!

Edited by Danyel

57 minutes ago, equicrzy said:

A Pistol update.

Has anyone ever had a dog who liked to bite the tires of moving vehicles?

Anything that has wheels and moves, he's right there, biting the tires.

It's no problem with my garden cart, he can't really get hurt...it's just irritating, having a dog latched onto the tire as I'm trying to pull the cart around.

Now, he does the same thing with the tractor, as soon as my husband starts it up, Pistol is right there, when the tractor starts moving forward, he's biting the tires, he holds on, not letting go, my husband always stops, of course, but, it's quite possible for Pistol to get himself run over.

Put the training collar on him?  Give him a jolt every time he goes for the tire?  I think....yes...

I've seen dogs do that. Most didn't live long.