Sign in to follow this  
equicrzy

The puppies are born!

1 hour ago, noponies said:

I've seen dogs do that. Most didn't live long.

Exactly why I'm thinking, training collar.

Yeah, sometimes to keep them alive we've got to do things that appear drastic.  Gotta make the right thing easy and the wrong thing difficult.  Shock collar will help deter him from his dangerous ways.

GSDs need a job.  Or they will find one.  Our GSD helps me move the cattle.  He had lessons with sheep, but he is a little too strong with the sheep, so he helps with the cows instead.  Their prey drive is the hardest thing to control.  A shock collar could work, but you're fighting a losing battle if you don't give him an alternative to satisfy his prey drive.  Our dog tries to chase the truck, if we gave him the chance.  Except, we put him in a down stay by the front gate until we get through and shut it.  Then, he gets the free command and races the truck down the inside of the fenceline as we leave.  It gives him the chase, but not the bite.  Use his commands, if you can, rather than punishment.  Shock collars might do weird things to a GSD.  They are sensitive dogs.  Our GSD is 9 years old and lives for this safe alternative truck chase game.  But he also has his farm dog job with the cattle.  He lives for that, too.  

Edited by little cow

If he will chase a ball just throw them as he approaches the wheel to change his mindset.  Break it now before he gets obsessively fixated on the moving tires. 

I don't have a problem with shock collars when used properly & its the last resort.

Pistol has a fascination with sticks, they're his passion...lol, yeah, sounds funny....but, he fixates on them, he'll chase them until he's too tired, then, he'll lie down in the shade.

I could probably use sticks to break him of the habit of chasing tires, pretty easily.

I do hate using a lot of force, such as the collar, we had to, once, as a last resort when he wouldn't stop climbing on us and, chewing on our hands/arms....etc....and, nothing else worked.... I felt so bad afterwards.

This is one stubborn, hard headed dog, I'm tellin'ya!

My husband does have him trained to the, 'come' command... Pistol acts like, ' I don't want to but I will.' 

He will also, sit and, down... reluctantly...and, when I leave, I give the command....'stay' at the back door and, he'll not try to go out with me.....I'm working on a hand signal for stay, my open hand, palm side, in front of his face and, I say, "stay."

Did I mention, he's very stubborn and headstrong?  Lol...it's exasperating!

Edited by equicrzy

4 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

Oh & where are the pics of the little monster who likes tires for breakfast.

I don't think I have any recent pictures,  the last ones I took were at 6 months old.

I'm a bad dog mom!

My guess is he ate the camera.  You just don't know yet.

Buy some big dowels or wooden broom handles then cut them down.  You can make a little carry pouch that goes on your belt to put them in.  Bag full of "sticks" on hand.

I have always used hand signals when training.  Found it really helpful when our Willy lost his hearing but the problem was he would play blind & not do what was asked.  Also it is a stupid way to impress not so good dog people on how well trained they are.

23 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

My guess is he ate the camera.  You just don't know yet.

Buy some big dowels or wooden broom handles then cut them down.  You can make a little carry pouch that goes on your belt to put them in.  Bag full of "sticks" on hand.

I have always used hand signals when training.  Found it really helpful when our Willy lost his hearing but the problem was he would play blind & not do what was asked.  Also it is a stupid way to impress not so good dog people on how well trained they are.

That's possible, this dog has a way of destroying things....right in the same room, lying at your feet, he's quiet and can have something chewed up before you even know he has something.

Good idea on the sticks, we're running out of them, been having to burn them in the stove.

6 hours ago, Danyel said:

He is so handsome! 

Thanks!  He's a handful, but, only 9 months old, so, I do give him some leeway.

OMG...he looks like one of those dogs who will put up with hugs all day.

FYI you could coil wrap the rods so he doesn't chew them