Sign in to follow this  
equicrzy

The puppies are born!

29 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

When I go into a situation like this I keep the mentality of "If I do I do. If I don't I don't"  That way if the news isn't what you want no major skin of your back.  Should the news be in your favor GREAT! 

That, right now, is my philosophy on this......it wasn't going in, but, after the run around I feel I'm getting, it now is.

Hope you hear soon to end the suspense and that you get a nice male pup!  My advice is that you catch more flies with honey, so in a situation where you are dependent on the breeder, spread on the honey!

Equi, I'm the same way about stuff like that except I just sit and fester. My hubby hates seeing me anxious about anything and he's always willing to go to bat for me and rankle feathers if he has to. I'm rooting for you!

1 hour ago, grimmie said:

Equi, I'm the same way about stuff like that except I just sit and fester. My hubby hates seeing me anxious about anything and he's always willing to go to bat for me and rankle feathers if he has to. I'm rooting for you!

I sit and fester, too, except I go a bit further and, end up doing/saying something I regret later.....I'm trying to change that about myself, by thinking on it a while first, before flying off the handle.

21 hours ago, Magic26 said:

Hope you hear soon to end the suspense and that you get a nice male pup!  My advice is that you catch more flies with honey, so in a situation where you are dependent on the breeder, spread on the honey!

Oh yes, definitely.  There have been a lot of, ' thank you very much' , ' oh, I understand completely,' and, ' what ever is best for you,'  throughout the conversations.

I don't know, that I'll deal directly with the breeder, again, it's a little frustrating.

I've always, looked in the classifieds, found puppies for sale, called, gone to look, purchased......easy!

I get one! Yay!

I just got word, because of some changes, I get second pick of the males!

That's good, right?!

Everyone on the list gets one.

There are 7 pups and, 6 people on the list.....so sad, though, one of the female puppies died this morning.

I'm sorry to hear one of the puppies got their angel wings.

But immediately after, I'm very glad that you get SECOND PICK!  That is AWESOME!

How soon will you get to pick your puppy and then bring it home?  Will you name him right away or after he comes home?  Do you have a name picked out?  Or a list of names?

Husband told me tonight that he wants to name our next male cat Paw Revere.  How weird am I that I like that name?!

That's great.  I sure wouldn't want to have the last pick.  Especially if the pup didn't have what you were looking for.

There will be pictures, right?

6 hours ago, Heidi n Q said:

I'm sorry to hear one of the puppies got their angel wings.

But immediately after, I'm very glad that you get SECOND PICK!  That is AWESOME!

How soon will you get to pick your puppy and then bring it home?  Will you name him right away or after he comes home?  Do you have a name picked out?  Or a list of names?

Husband told me tonight that he wants to name our next male cat Paw Revere.  How weird am I that I like that name?!

There are 3 males, so, I pick from 2, after the person gets first pick, who is first on the list, second pick sounds better than putting it that way.

Selections are made on the day the puppies are taken home, we will be given appointments well in advance and, she sends pictures, starting at 4 weeks of age. September 23rd, is the day.....she did send pictures as the pups were being born, they looked big, for newborn pups!

I don't name them in advance, I usually do have a list of names I like, but, it isn't until the pup comes home and, has been here a while, that I pick a name, because, not all of them fit the personality, sometimes, they don't get a name for a week or two, nothing fit, then one day, a name just sort of, comes to me, after having watched the pup all that time.

Paw Revere...... I like it!  It's original and, shows a lot of imagination!

23 minutes ago, noponies said:

If you don't like whats left, you don't have to take it.

I'm sure I'll be taking one home on that day.

I know they're young and, they can change drastically from now, until then, but, the pictures she has sent, they all look like they'll be, black, with the tan markings.

But, sure, if the two remaining pups, don't have what I am looking for, I can request one from another litter, it would mean going on another waiting list.

46 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

That's great.  I sure wouldn't want to have the last pick.  Especially if the pup didn't have what you were looking for.

There will be pictures, right?

I wish there were more males to choose from, but, that's how it worked out. I'm sure, the person getting first pick, will take the biggest one, of course, the biggest isn't always  the nicer marked one, you never can tell what a person might be looking for.

I'll have two to choose from, I won't even see the first pick, so, won't know if I'm missing out .

There will be pictures sent to us, starting at 4 weeks old, the problem with that, as I see it, is, suppose I like a certain pup and, it's the one that gets picked first?

Yay! I'm excited for ya!

Heidi, that's a cute name for sure. I've never let hubby name an animal, he comes up with the lamest! 

1 hour ago, grimmie said:

Yay! I'm excited for ya!

Heidi, that's a cute name for sure. I've never let hubby name an animal, he comes up with the lamest! 

My husband has been throwing names out there, I've rejected them all....lol

For some reason, I keep coming back to, 'Smoke'......we had a dog a kajillion years ago named Smokey, so, I'm not sure if I want to go with, 'Smoke', even though, it's not quite the same.

The pups usually end up naming themselves.

When I've gone puppy shopping I'll watch the litter for a while to see who's got what for personality.  From there I start weeding them out.  

Your like me.  The critters have a tendency to name themselves, usually takes a week sometimes less.

Not dogs but kitties.........Last week we found two starving kittens out at our barn (house and barn are close to the road, probably someone dumped them and kept on going) They are two almost identical gray tabbies. It is practically impossible to tell them apart except one is a boy and one is a girl. I want to name the boy Baxter and the girl Berniece  (or Bernie) but I cannot stop calling them "Kitty", as in  "here Kitty, Kitty"  or "Aww, look at the Kitty!" or "what cha doin Kitty?"!   I guess maybe when they are grown I will call them by a name???  Lol!

With me, it's, "here puppy,"  or, "little boy".... I have to name them, before they think their name is, puppy or, little boy.

Don't you hate to find animals that have been dumped?  Burns me up!

9 minutes ago, Danyel said:

This thread is making me want a puppy! Ugh!!!! I keep telling myself no, no, no!!

I said the same thing.....and I'm picking up the new pup next month....saying no, doesn't always work.

19 minutes ago, equicrzy said:

I said the same thing.....and I'm picking up the new pup next month....saying no, doesn't always work.

You have to actually mean it.........

26 minutes ago, noponies said:

You have to actually mean it.........

Yeah, that's the part I have the problem with.

I found one a while back on Craigs  that had the look of needing to be with our family.  I can easily look at pups & walk away but this one had something in his eye that said "I need your home"  Well the add was taken down couple days after I found it.  So he wasn't meant to be.  Don't tell my hubby but I am kinda kicking myself for not call on him.  Then again at this time I don't need another critter.

Congrats on the pupster! Picking from a litter can be super hard.  When I picked my pup, she was only a week old.  I knew I didn't want huge, I wanted female, and preferably the rottie markings (they were mutts, rottie dad, lab/border collie mom, oopsie litter) and while it narrowed the choices a little, I still had 7 to choose from! I just kinda looked for the smallest one and said "that one" and hoped for the best! Lol

What kind of personality do you like? Since you'll be picking something out when it's slightly old, personality traits will be popping up, and I looove noting the difference in littermates. 

1 hour ago, SerahRose said:

Congrats on the pupster! Picking from a litter can be super hard.  When I picked my pup, she was only a week old.  I knew I didn't want huge, I wanted female, and preferably the rottie markings (they were mutts, rottie dad, lab/border collie mom, oopsie litter) and while it narrowed the choices a little, I still had 7 to choose from! I just kinda looked for the smallest one and said "that one" and hoped for the best! Lol

What kind of personality do you like? Since you'll be picking something out when it's slightly old, personality traits will be popping up, and I looove noting the difference in littermates. 

I let the pup pick ME.  I sorta just hang out and, wait for the one who comes to me, wanting to check me out. I like an outgoing pup, one who doesn't appear skittish, standoffish, but, who is adventurous and curious.

I'll only have two to choose from, there's one person ahead of me in the picking order.

The last picture I saw, they were 4 days old and, they all looked pretty good size for being so young.  They all look, as of now, like they'll be black and tan, although the breeder said, the sire produces both the black/tan and, black/red.

If I had chosen a female, I wouldn't be getting one, there are only three and, I'm too far down the list..... I wanted to boy, anyway, so....I'm only getting second pick, because something happened and, two people who were ahead of me, dropped out.

I'm so excited to see him Equi.

Our best family dog picked our daughter. We had gone for a female golden, there were 3-4 to chose from. But she wouldn't even consider the female pups I was playing with. One of the males had gotten up from his nap to run over to her and plop down in her lap, covering her with kisses. Dandy (Dan) was a character, funniest dog I've ever known. He's been gone for almost 25 yrs and I still cry when I think of him.

Puppies will be 2 weeks old on Saturday.  The breeder sent pictures last Saturday,  they're big!  I picked the one I want, but, I know I may not get him, with one person ahead of me, but, they're all so precious, I'd take any of them.

I still look for Chopper in his usual places, I still wait at the back door, thinking he's gonna come running out and go with me. I still expect to hear him bark, when I hear a car going down the road or, coming down the driveway......and, it still makes me cry, when it doesn't happen.

I've had dogs pass, more than one, but, Chopper was special, there was just, something about him, a special connection. That's why, even though I can get a phone upgrade, I won't, because I don't think pictures can be transferred to the new one and, I have pictures of Chopper I don't want to lose.

I can pick up the new pup on September 23rd, he's in Tucson, so, I'll make a mini vacation of it, my sister was supposed to meet me there, but, I don't know if she is now, she'll have to let me know closer to September 23rd.