Sign in to follow this  
equicrzy

The puppies are born!

I've tried Science Diet but the dogs wouldn't eat it. I feed ProPlan chicken and rice. They do real well on and maintain a healthy weight. I believe dogs need a balance of meat and grain.

:rotf:This one vet I worked for up in WI wouldn't sell a dog food he hasn't tried personally! His favorite was the KD from Science Diet. He sold a lot of the prescription canned foods. Wouldn't sell the SD Lite, as it was ground peanut hulls. He also sold a lot of the Pro Plan. It was nothing to see him with a handful of kibble as a snack. :crazy:

I have discovered that as an affordable, "Mid Grade" brand, my dogs do best on Pedigree for some stupid reason.  Compact poop, shiny coats, they don't stink, and the big dogs don't get hot spots on it like they do on Pro Plan.  The little dog, however, is an itchy little mess, so he's on some Walmart food, black/brown bag, chicken and something or other, but not rice.  Peas or something, I don't remember. it's like $8 for a 6# bag, but it lasts him a month, if the cats stay out of it. They had a cat formula also, & my old cat Peaches did VERY well on it, but they quit carrying it. I think that was the start of his downhill slide last year. 

Equi, have your vet check for  campylobacter if a fecal is clean for actual worms.  Nasty stuff. Stinks also. Not as bad as a Parvo stench, but still bad. Treatable though. 

Vet visit.   I went before I checked here, so, I didn't see some posts.

A bacterial infection in the large intestine.

He had an antibiotic injection, that's supposed to start clearing it up in 8-10 hours. Then, starting tomorrow, Metronidazole, twice a day for 5 days.

He also gave me.....well, he didn't GIVE it to me......3 big cans of I/D, for his digestive system.

I can continue to feed the blue wilderness, vet said it's unlikely too rich, or, that the food was causing the diarrhea, but, the bacteria.

Pistol weighs, 15.7 pounds! No wonder it's hard to pick him up from the ground!

Pistol is going to be a brute! My 5year old Brussels doesn't weigh 15lbs.!! Hope the infection is cleared soon.

10 minutes ago, Danyel said:

Pistol is going to be a brute! My 5year old Brussels doesn't weigh 15lbs.!! Hope the infection is cleared soon.

What's funny, is, I don't think he looks that big.

I told the vet, I was going to start the countdown, as soon as he told me, 8-10 hours to see improvement......he said, "I knew I shouldn't have said that, you're going to be looking at your watch."

13 hours ago, equicrzy said:

I told the vet, I was going to start the countdown, as soon as he told me, 8-10 hours to see improvement......he said, "I knew I shouldn't have said that, you're going to be looking at your watch."

:rotf: 

Well, 8-10 hours is up - hope your on the upside of that. Glad you got it checked out and him on his way to happy and healthy. He's going to be abig boy.

I thought, last night, when I saw the perfectly formed, normal looking poop, we were in the clear 

This morning, 5:30,  a couple of normal-ish looking small poops..... swimming in a pool of brown water.

Called the vet, he says we're still within a reasonable time frame, he had hoped it would be sooner, but, it can take longer. If not better by tomorrow, he'll put him on another round of dewormer.....we started the 5 day course of Metronidazole this morning, I'm hoping it does the trick.

I'd be worried, if pistol wasn't running through the house, pouncing on and, barking at everything.

Maybe it will just take his system a couple days to regulate itself.  He does seem very active, is he keeping you on your toes?

2 hours ago, Heidi n Q said:

Maybe it will just take his system a couple days to regulate itself.  He does seem very active, is he keeping you on your toes?

Oh boy! I look like a zombie. Not much sleep, I try to get in as much as I can, before I have to take him out, to the point, I'm stressing about getting that sleep, ( trying to make myself fall asleep,) that I can't sleep!

I noticed the vet looking at me strangely and, I know it's not because he thinks I'm gorgeous.... I'd be talking and, just trail off, like I couldn't find the word....lack of sleep does strange things to the mind.

Edited by equicrzy

1 hour ago, redneckcowgirlmn said:

Did the vet say anything about any sort of probiotic to get his gut flora going again after the abx?

No, he didn't.

He is a handsome dude equi.

What did your vet say about the puppy shots? Mine advised to start over since I had not proof from a vet of the shots. The breeder provided a diary of shots and de-worming, sounds like, the same as yours.

I hope you get the runs under control quickly. I'm looking forward to following your journey with him!

7 hours ago, kdrown said:

He is a handsome dude equi.

What did your vet say about the puppy shots? Mine advised to start over since I had not proof from a vet of the shots. The breeder provided a diary of shots and de-worming, sounds like, the same as yours.

I hope you get the runs under control quickly. I'm looking forward to following your journey with him!

The vet didn't suggest starting the vacs over, even though, all i got from the breeder was a form, with boxes checked off. No name of a vet, or, vet clinic. There was also, no dosage of the dewormer she gave, just the kind.

I think the diarrhea has cleared up, there's been none since this morning....now, I don't think he's gone, at all, since this morning , unless he's gone down to the yard, without my knowing it.

35 minutes ago, PinkTractor said:

I got a free puppy to go along with your new puppy if interested :mad:

Uh oh.  I sense a story here ...... 

54 minutes ago, PinkTractor said:

I got a free puppy to go along with your new puppy if interested :mad:

Do tell!  

Just took him out to potty.  Although not 100% firm, definitely better, like the vet said, 80%.

Little Frankie is a PIA!!!

Let him out potty last night one last time, went up to bed - he was chewing and trying to get Rem to play - next thing you know he is peeing on the bed! (Within' FIVE FREAKING MINUTES!) OMG I never wanted to kill a dog until then. Scolded him, threw him outside, (of course who would have to go potty two seconds after going) then threw him in his crate. He knows he's in trouble, he like tip toes around me. Our potty training has seemed to gone backwards. He was almost house broke, I thought. Now that has reversed.

So now, after work I have to go to the laundry mat, because that's too much laundry to try and sneak in at my parents.

UGH.

FREE PUPPY!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, PinkTractor said:

Let him out potty last night one last time, went up to bed - he was chewing and trying to get Rem to play - next thing you know he is peeing on the bed! (Within' FIVE FREAKING MINUTES!) OMG I never wanted to kill a dog until then. Scolded him, threw him outside, (of course who would have to go potty two seconds after going) then threw him in his crate. He knows he's in trouble, he like tip toes around me. Our potty training has seemed to gone backwards. He was almost house broke, I thought. Now that has reversed.

So now, after work I have to go to the laundry mat, because that's too much laundry to try and sneak in at my parents.

UGH.

FREE PUPPY!!!!!!!

My gas pup did that. It was six months of H E double hockey sticks potty training him. 

3 hours ago, PinkTractor said:

UGH.

FREE PUPPY!!!!!!!

I know the feeling, must be something they all do, because pistol does the same thing.... outside for half a freakin' hour, back in and ....pees on the bed.

I thought, the diarrhea was under control, but, this morning I had to wash the bathroom rugs, then, took him out on a leash and, squirts of watery diarrhea, followed by a couple formed pieces...... we're getting there, guess?

Have you tried reward training? I used give a small treat every time they pottied and have a celebration for a few seconds! There were times the puppy would want to go out pretending they had to potty just to get a treat!

40 minutes ago, equicrzy said:

I know the feeling, must be something they all do, because pistol does the same thing.... outside for half a freakin' hour, back in and ....pees on the bed.

I thought, the diarrhea was under control, but, this morning I had to wash the bathroom rugs, then, took him out on a leash and, squirts of watery diarrhea, followed by a couple formed pieces...... we're getting there, guess?

:huggy:I'm tellin ya, he needs some sort of bacterial gut flora recolonization.  Did the vet say he can have some immodium?

44 minutes ago, Danyel said:

Have you tried reward training? I used give a small treat every time they pottied and have a celebration for a few seconds! There were times the puppy would want to go out pretending they had to potty just to get a treat!

Yep. I actually bought little reward treats for him. He loves them. Every time he comes inside he runs right to the cupboard because he knows he gets one. If him and Rem go out together then he gets a part of his milk bone. He loves treats. I'd think it'd motivate him more - but, eh. I'm thinking the breed is very stubborn. But, nonetheless, driving me CRAZY!

Sorry you're still having poopy problems, Equi.

Pink make going potty a job.  Put him on a leash for pee walks.  The minute you see a dribble put it on command.  It is also possible he is forgetting to go.  To much fun outside.  

Our former dog Mickey who was lab/hound forgot all the time even when she was an adult.  Come in only to turn around & paw the door to go out.