If the barn has a dirt floor, you can drive some steel posts in, which are MUCH cheaper than panels. If you don't have a post driver, they can usually be rented

QB, totally get what you mean by not having the equipment.  My only saving grace is that we have the equipment at the railroad.  When needed for use at the farm hubby will bring the equipment out.  If we didn't have the equipment at work it would be a massive pain in the rear to get anything done.

So the yuck of the day in there is white crud on the ground.

QB, I made a temporary stall in our run-in shed. I used a cattle panel and 12' gate with t posts that had covers on them. My old mare needed stall rest. It worked real well. She was real calm so I didn't have to worry about her putting a foot through the panel.

37 minutes ago, Heidi n Q said:

I second the idea of T-posts w/ protectors or tennis balls on top.

T post toppers for electric tape are cheap.

I have no doubt the landlord will not want me driving in Tposts in his barn. I already thought about that lol. The corral panels is what I really need/want. I may talk to him today to see if he has any extra hanging around. He has bigger fish to fry right now..8 degrees last night brought many of his renters frozen pipes..including me!

That sucks!  Sorry to hear about the pipes.  

Maybe you can watch CL for panels or gates someone is selling?  If you can't make a safe stall for him, can you just use old gates to keep him out of the parts of the barn he doesn't need to be in?

Edited by little cow

4 hours ago, little cow said:

That sucks!  Sorry to hear about the pipes.  

Maybe you can watch CL for panels or gates someone is selling?  If you can't make a safe stall for him, can you just use old gates to keep him out of the parts of the barn he doesn't need to be in?

Im watching CL like a hawk. The only reason I want/need stalls in the barn is because feeding in the pouring rain sucks. My current feeding setup is open with no shelter. 

QB, I like RRW idea, pallets are often free if you know the right places to find them,  you might have to buy some lumber or a sheeting of some kind to put them together solid, but could easily removed, if necessary. I wish you well.  PD

1 hour ago, RailroadWoman said:

Here is an idea for you.  The site shows it made with new pallets but the heavy duty ones with the blue paint on them would work.

https://www.easypalletideas.com/pallet-horse-stable/

The pallets can be transported in a horse trailer if you found some for sale or free

Hmm, Id have to talk to my landlord about that. I do like it.

Two things about the pallets. First, they would taste yummy to a horse. Second, be sure they aren't treated wood. Okay, three things. Pallets have splinters!

It would be easier to call a fence company, one that does horse fencing, and ask the price of 1X6 boards. They might even deliver--ours do. Use the supports  that are already in place, if it's a pole barn, for corners.

Most pallets are made of oak these days, and most horses prefer pine or spruce. The 1 x 6 (2x would be better) can be found at the nearest lumberyard, and most of them DO deliver.

Let it snow let it snow let it snow!!!!

OK had enough it can quit now.  Winter was late to come but did it come today in a great show. Oh well no biggie as March is just around the corner.

Worked at the farm for a while packing up.  Managed to get some bins filled & bags for donation.  Just feels like a never ending project or that project you just don't know where to start.  Goal is to have Shortman room done by end of next week.  Then onto the next room.

Alright off to move snow.

On 1/23/2019 at 2:39 PM, jubal said:

It would be easier to call a fence company, one that does horse fencing, and ask the price of 1X6 boards. They might even deliver--ours do. Use the supports  that are already in place, if it's a pole barn, for corners.

Yes, but I need to be able to remove whatever I set up easily. These stalls wouldnt be permanent.

Nails can be taken out or use screws. But corral panels would be better and easier to remove. Maybe you can find some.

Another idea.......my old riding instructor made a stall using dog kennel panels.  She had it set up in her pole building for emergency use.

Jubal, we got 2-3 inches.  We really did need the snow but it was enough to make a mess again.

It sure does break a mom's heart when her child is very sad & the only thing a mom can do to help is give loving hugs.

There might be any number of thing that work for making box stalls, My box stalls are all made out of rough sawed oak, even got walls lined with red oak lumber. Most of it cull lumber from logs I cut from my own woods.  The kennel panels might work well also, if you could find them used. 

RRW,  We got a trace of snow today, that is all, enough to cover the bare ground that was showing.  Could use more ground cover, with below 0 temps, the frost will go deep, now, & going to take a long time coming out. PD

PD it must have been a funky band that hit us.  Spoke with my mom 80 miles north of us & at that time it stopped snowing for them.  It was a good 2+ hrs after that it stopped here.  I'd say at the most 2-3 inches.  It is supposed to drop drastically in temp the next couple of days.

The way we look at it is this could have started the end of or mid October.  However momma nature let us go until January this season.  Say what you want but March is just a few x2 around the corner.  It has been up till now exceptionally nice.

16 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

Another idea.......my old riding instructor made a stall using dog kennel panels.  She had it set up in her pole building for emergency use.

Jubal, we got 2-3 inches.  We really did need the snow but it was enough to make a mess again.

It sure does break a mom's heart when her child is very sad & the only thing a mom can do to help is give loving hugs.

Yep, thought about that too ;-)

Thought about lattice too.

Are there suport posts already in the barn where there and been stalls.  If so could make stalls with electric fence if your horses respect the fence & stalls are larger.

1 hour ago, RailroadWoman said:

Are there suport posts already in the barn where there and been stalls.  If so could make stalls with electric fence if your horses respect the fence & stalls are larger.

There are support posts but electric wont keep out those pesky mini noses lol. Im also trying to keep in mind that unless I stay in the barn and supervise, one of the other horses is bound to rub their behind on whatever I put up..so Id like for whatever I put up to be solid so I could step away and do other things. Hence my need for the panels.

Minis have no regard to respecting fence.  They are sneaky little bugger's.

LC Shortman was once again horribly sad about not being at the farm.  I really don't want to take him out with me because the house is getting cleaned out & packed up. He would have full blown depression seeing it all being packed up for storage.  Hubby is out of town for work this week so that doesn't help.

Really hard moving from the country to town.   The mice in the story didn't enjoy it & we don't either.

I'm so sorry, RRW.  We went through a move as well, but the farm came with us.  It has been hard on LJ, but not as hard because we didn't have to leave the animals behind.  Prioritizing his room is smart.  What is it that he misses most?  Did he have to change schools?

What doesn't he miss is the question.  It isn't so much about his stuff as he brought what he wanted & hasn't asked for anything more.

He misses not being able to look out his window & see the ponies.  Can't have barn cats in town, Shortman will miss the farm for the dogs as they can't be let out to just run around.  Not having the front porch to sit on during nice days with the fire burning.  Let's just say he misses the country