That is tough.  You guys really needed the convenience of being in town.  What is nearby that he can enjoy?  Maybe bike riding as a family?  Indoor places to play in the winter?  Perhaps he can discover the advantages of living in town.  LJ was excited about soccer.  He didn't know what it was like to play a team sport, except recess at school.  John made a neighborhood friend and that has really helped as well.  He didn't know how it was to have another kid that could come over and play any time.  Hugs for you all.  I hate seeing kids sad.

Believe me I'd rather be out on the property than in town. My goal it to have the house cleaned out & packed up by the end of February.  Once that is done then finish going through the two outbuildings.  There really isn't anything left in them just got to finish the job.  Then it will be time to get a price on taking down the buildings.  

RRW,  Moving out your comfort zone can be tough, I'm shortman will adjust, maybe better than you do. But I can also see where your ned is being closer to town. You can live in town, but your heart never leaves the country.  As a family my folks moved more often than I cared for, but, the last moce was for my dad's health, as he had asthma,  & any kind of molds triggered it at times. onn a dairy farm, so he quit & we had Dad until he was 77, other wise he might not have made it to 60.  Take Care.  PD

Our town doesn't have much of anything for the kids especially in the winter.  There is open skate 1 or 2 days in the week but the hours don't work well for when have to be a the motel.  Going to see about open bowling for Sunday & that should be interesting see the last time we bowled that was when Shortman tripped & smashed his thumb with an 8lb ball.  If he does end up liking to bowl & they still have the jr league  it is very possible to get him involved with that.  Again depends on the time & day.  It would be the cats meow if there were a model railroad club in town.  He would be with all adults but doing something he really enjoys.

Summer we have no problems getting him out & going.  He is enrolled at Hunt Hill Audubon summer day camp for about 4 weeks.  Plus he does the after camp program. 

PD, interesting that because of asthma your dad retired.  My grandpa retired early from farming because of horrible allergies being out in the fields.

We'll get back to the farm it will just take a few years.

5 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

What doesn't he miss is the question.  It isn't so much about his stuff as he brought what he wanted & hasn't asked for anything more.

He misses not being able to look out his window & see the ponies.  Can't have barn cats in town, Shortman will miss the farm for the dogs as they can't be let out to just run around.  Not having the front porch to sit on during nice days with the fire burning.  Let's just say he misses the country

^^^Sounds like the things you miss. I say move the motel to the farm! You could have one of those farm/B&Bs where the guests are "allowed" to do the farm chores. You know how gullible those city slickers are. You can advertise (Did you always want to live on a farm but circumstances don't allow it? Come and enjoy a real farm experience, clean fresh air and a vacation all rolled into one.)

:rotf:

Jubal, you are way to funny for your own good.  First off people can't follow simple directions on finding any place.  Then being out there they just might get bit by a mosquito or tick.  

Would be really nice if the place were a 1/2 block to the south then I could have the ponies in the back yard.  The city & township line is there & could have horses in the township.

Was -15 when we went to feed ponies. A sane person we stay home with the cold.  Not us had to go do something.  So we are going to the roller rink, haven't had roller skates on since I was a kid.  Wish me luck at not landing in the emergency room.

Survived having wheels ony feet.  Took a while but started getting the roller grove back.  Can't say as that Shortman enjoyed it.  Told him next week we will go as a family.  He voted for that idea down but I vetoed the notion & we'll still go.

Guess its time to dig out the old ice skates

Edited by RailroadWoman

RRW,  Glad you survived the roller rink, last time I had skates on the only way I could stand up was if I leaned against something. That was a number of years ago. Plus I'm sure my coordination has not improved, but got worse.  We will have a bit of warm up after next month. Glad it is not far away. Later PD

PD, was going through pictures on my computer & came across one of you, Mrs. PD & believe your granddaughter in the cab of the locomotive.  If you like when I am back at the office I post the pic or at least try.

School is closed already for Tues & Wed.  Talk about make a kid happy.

On 1/27/2019 at 8:48 PM, RailroadWoman said:

Survived having wheels ony feet.  Took a while but started getting the roller grove back.  Can't say as that Shortman enjoyed it.  Told him next week we will go as a family.  He voted for that idea down but I vetoed the notion & we'll still go.

Guess its time to dig out the old ice skates

It's been so long since I went to a roller rink, I can't remember whether I can skate or not. I guess it doesn't matter since I won't be trying to skate in the future.

5 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

PD, was going through pictures on my computer & came across one of you, Mrs. PD & believe your granddaughter in the cab of the locomotive.  If you like when I am back at the office I post the pic or at least try.

RRW, That would be nice,, Been a few years since I was up there for that train ride,  I think it was 2013.   Thanks

I used to do a lot of ice skating in the winters, but never really got excited about roller skating.

PD, when Im at the office today I'll try to find it.  Been cleaning out pic's & files on the computer to make some room.  It was fun looking at old pictures yesterday.  Especially small Shortman & critter pics.

The plus side of today  the sun is nice & bright.  

Hey guys. Ive been sick for a few days. Feeling better today...kinda. I'm so stressed right now I want to cry. Mr. Butters is not gaining weight. I hit a dog the other night. A headlight in my car has gone out and I don't have time to put it in so I'm risking being pulled by the cops on my way to and from work. One of my (new) tires was really low last night and I'm afraid I may have bent the rim. I have a follow up doctors appointment tomorrow for my blood pressure and I forgot to take my medication this morning. Ontop of that, my dog Faith has been vomiting for 24 hours so we wound up at an emergency vet last night.  Followed up with my regular vet today. A friend took her since I couldn't get off work. They charged me more than they quoted and then refused to bill me. I paid $50 over the phone and then they had my friend write a post dated check for the balance. I'm so aggravated with that office I COULD SCREAM. I am an established customer there and have always paid my bills at the time of service. Whether horses or dogs, or even the stray kitten I found, Ive always paid at the time of service. They couldn't bill me this one time?! I'm ready to get rid of this vet altogether but don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face so to speak. Ive had 2 whole hours of sleep this morning after getting home from the emergency vet, no dinner last night,  and no breakfast or lunch today because Ive been a ball of nerves. And, I hit a cat on my way to work this morning. Can I throw the towel in now?!

2 hours ago, QueenBAW said:

Hey guys. Ive been sick for a few days. Feeling better today...kinda. I'm so stressed right now I want to cry. Mr. Butters is not gaining weight. I hit a dog the other night. A headlight in my car has gone out and I don't have time to put it in so I'm risking being pulled by the cops on my way to and from work. One of my (new) tires was really low last night and I'm afraid I may have bent the rim. I have a follow up doctors appointment tomorrow for my blood pressure and I forgot to take my medication this morning. Ontop of that, my dog Faith has been vomiting for 24 hours so we wound up at an emergency vet last night.  Followed up with my regular vet today. A friend took her since I couldn't get off work. They charged me more than they quoted and then refused to bill me. I paid $50 over the phone and then they had my friend write a post dated check for the balance. I'm so aggravated with that office I COULD SCREAM. I am an established customer there and have always paid my bills at the time of service. Whether horses or dogs, or even the stray kitten I found, Ive always paid at the time of service. They couldn't bill me this one time?! I'm ready to get rid of this vet altogether but don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face so to speak. Ive had 2 whole hours of sleep this morning after getting home from the emergency vet, no dinner last night,  and no breakfast or lunch today because Ive been a ball of nerves. And, I hit a cat on my way to work this morning. Can I throw the towel in now?!

Yikes lady, hope you have now met your quota for the year!

RRW,  Thanks for posting that picture, hard to believe it was going on 8 years ago.  Time flies.  Is all I can say. will be back later PD

Oh man, Queen.  I'm so sorry.  A good meal and some sleep for you.  Hope your appointment went okay.  Maybe it was good for your doc to see you stressed so he/she knows what you're dealing with.  

Mr. Butters is swimming upstream trying to gain weight when it's this cold.  As long as he's not losing any more weight, you'll get him better when the weather warms.  

Rotten b*star*ds should keep their dogs and cats inside.  Too cold to let them out.  Might have frozen to death if they survived playing in traffic. 

I know exactly how you feel, though.  Last year, some idiot on a 55 mph country road that was part of my old commute, would let their little fluffy dogs out every morning.   They had a gate.  All they had to do was attach cheap wire fencing to keep those dogs in.  They didn't.  I saw them roaming and couldn't stop for them.  Saw one dead on the way home.  Same thing happened two more times, but I didn't see them roaming; just the dead dogs on the side of the road.  I still feel bad about not stopping and scooping all three up that first time, but it was a fast road and a bad place to stop.  

Seriously thinking about going to my vets office and having them print out my vaccine records for my animals and finding a new vet after refusing to bill me yesterday. I know for a fact they bill other folks, my landlord included. I have always paid at the time of service, in full, hundreds of dollars. Yesterday was an emergency. The more I think about it, the last 2 farm calls I scheduled didnt go as planned either. I understand how busy vets are, but he was hours late both times with no courtesy call to inform me. Its kinda been one thing after another and Ive just let it all slide. Yesterday was the final straw. My previous vet allowed me to make payments when there was an emergency or something unscheduled. I just still can not believe that they had my friend write them a post dated check. Friends and coworkers have told me of other vets in the area. 

Faith ate some chicken last night when I got home and kept it down. Shes drinking water but now refuses anything to eat, doesnt matter what it is.

Edited by QueenBAW

QB totally stinks about the vet.  Sounds like it is more supportive staff problems but it still reflects on the business.

Its possible your pup still isn't feeling well & just off her food. Did the vet say what might have caused the problem?

QB,  Reading your posts,  My heart goes out to you, you try to do everything the right way, & then you hit road blocks.  That is depressing to say the least. I'm not going to tell you to hang in there & things will improve, but I know you are not a quitters either. You have been dealt a rotten hand in the game of life.  So my hope is the next hand you are dealt is a much better one.  As we all need hope to move ourselves forward.  I know alot of what is for those young ladies that you are mentoring, with a heart like yours, you will not let them down  I have deep respect for you, as you give so much of yourself for the well being of others. Both in a work setting & outside of work.  So I'll wish you the very Best in the coming days. Take Care & God Bless.  PD